Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To all who are leaving this year,

Do enquire about the student ticket if you're taking SIA. They allow for additional check-in load, up to 30kg, and stretchable up to 35kg. This is regardless of the weight of the handcarry luggage.

My friend just brought 50kg of load onboard back to sweden based on a normal-priced economy ticket though. Here's a breakdown. (Not a student ticket)

31kg of check-in ( you need to do a little whining at the check-in counter though, 28kg should be safer.)
    16kg backbag
    2kg in plastic bags.

Grand total: 49kg

Bon Voyage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Haha, i see. Thats cool too.:yep: No worries, I'm sure you'll do well in what you do. I have confidence in you!!! LOL for the prince william part. Well, i'm currently doing national slavery, so I guess I've taken my A Levels already? Well, if your family's financial condition permits, you can still go abroad despite being admitted into fass right?(well, i chose ntu acct over nus fass. that will be my safety school in sg)
    thanks! haha my brother is in NS too, but he gained like 8kg since he finished bmt! he's always going on about how he's gonna ord before i finish my a levels :rolleyes:

haha yup. lucky for me my family's financial conditions isn't exactly an issue so i really get the freedom to choose. but in a way i get even more confused since my options are really so much more open. i guess it'll be my results thats gonna determine where i end up at the end up the day. and i just got back my mid year results and i'm no where near getting at least straight Bs yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionelg)
    Umm to all those looking to apply to a UK Uni, there's this Scholarship and Top Universities Fair on the 19th June (Sunday) @ Suntec City 10am-6pm

Universities reps (and I suppose alumni/current students) from the US/UK/AU would be there and there would be the usual talks and stuff.

List of Unis and details can be found on the Straits Times newspaper
    i'm going for it! haha i have no idea why but i feel excited about it. feels like a step closer to getting into uni! :p:

ReputationRep:
    heh... enjoy then

Umm.. one thing to note, it might be good to find a particular subject you are very interested in and stick to that and then from there start looking for unis (TSR is a good place.. the subject forums) Ask your lecturers/friends/family also. Of course you can talk to the people in the fair

To all who are leaving this year,

Do enquire about the student ticket if you're taking SIA. They allow for additional check-in load, up to 30kg, and stretchable up to 35kg. This is regardless of the weight of the handcarry luggage.

My friend just brought 50kg of load onboard back to sweden based on a normal-priced economy ticket though. Here's a breakdown. (Not a student ticket)

31kg of check-in ( you need to do a little whining at the check-in counter though, 28kg should be safer.)
    16kg backbag
    2kg in plastic bags.

Grand total: 49kg

Bon Voyage!

Actually I wanted to check in 36kg of luggage, but they complained and got the manager to speak to me. Afterwhich i removed 5kg and put them into plastic bags, and checked in 31kg instead.

So i brought 15kg backpack and 5kg up the plane.
    15kg backpack is incredibly heavy tho, it was one of those 42litres deuter bag.

edit: oh and it was to Copenhagen, not sweden.
    Typically, the singapore side is more anal about the weight. When i take SIA from copenhagen, the whites are usually more lenient and just let me through.

I will list down the weight of checked in luggage i have for the past few years.

year 2008 - 31kg
    year 2007 - 34kg
    year 2006 - 32kg
    year 2005 - 28kg

And then I usually have a hand carry luggage of >10kg.

I think this method of bringing more weight is better if ur alone, cuz those counter girls will take pity on u and let u thru.
    Oh and, technically the weight limit is 25kg. After the limit, u might be liable to a penalty of 70sgd/kg. So do anything at ur own risk.

List of Singaporeans going to a UK University 2009 on TSR
    1. lionelg (Aerospace Engineering @ University of Bristol)
    2. Jialat (Aerospace Engineering @ University of Bath)
    3. strychnine (Biology and Math @ University of Bristol)
    4. brighteyee (Law @ Uni of Bristol) i'm malaysian though. hehe
    5. siukingyiu (Acc&Fin @ Uni of Bham)

List of TSR people attending the UK Pre-departure event on the 25th July 2009
    1. gi
    2. ychangling
    3. lionelg
    4. Jialat
    5. (maybe?) strychnine
    6. Narev (perhaps)
    7. brighteyee

ReputationRep:
    6. wildnala (Vet Med @ Uni of Glasgow)

1. gi
    2. ychangling
    3. lionelg
    4. Jialat
    5. (maybe?) strychnine
    6. Narev (perhaps)
    7. brighteyee
    8. wildnala!

wheres the UK pre-departure event held?
    can anyone quote me a link where i can find more information?
    thx in adv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siukingyiu)
    wheres the UK pre-departure event held?
    can anyone quote me a link where i can find more information?
    thx in adv
    http://eastasia.britishcouncil.org/p...c-0097d8edf4f1

here's the link. its next saturday (25th) at suntec. you must register though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summersolitude)
    thanks! haha my brother is in NS too, but he gained like 8kg since he finished bmt! he's always going on about how he's gonna ord before i finish my a levels :rolleyes:

haha yup. lucky for me my family's financial conditions isn't exactly an issue so i really get the freedom to choose. but in a way i get even more confused since my options are really so much more open. i guess it'll be my results thats gonna determine where i end up at the end up the day. and i just got back my mid year results and i'm no where near getting at least straight Bs yet
    Yeah, my brother also complained how much fatter he had become when he was serving his NS.. Er, are you taking your A Levels this year or next? Haha, well you're much more fortunate than most of us in that case. Some can only As for me, I'm pretty sure I must scrimp and save my way through university. Well, that can be learning through hardship!!

Just wanna share something. I just came back from NDP rehearsal and I'm totally moved by the spontaneity and exuberance of the primary 5 kids. Their innocence in displaying excitement and joy; the simplicity of their demands and wants, are what that is very lacking in people and they are the very traits that are so valued and precious - still untainted with the materialism and pragmatism so endemic in the society. All the hard work and countless rehearsals have simply paid off!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    http://eastasia.britishcouncil.org/p...c-0097d8edf4f1

here's the link. its next saturday (25th) at suntec. you must register though
    I wouldn't mind attending, letting it be a prelude to the actual one i'll be attending 2 years later. But it's on a sat, so that means MORE ndp rehearsals.:mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    6. wildnala (Vet Med @ Uni of Glasgow)
    7. ychangling (Law @ UCL)

1. gi
    2. ychangling
    3. lionelg
    4. Jialat
    5. (maybe?) strychnine
    6. Narev (perhaps)
    7. brighteyee
    8. wildnala!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind attending, letting it be a prelude to the actual one i'll be attending 2 years later. But it's on a sat, so that means MORE ndp rehearsals.:mad: :mad: :mad:
    this is a bit off topic but..

ndp? you are from which unit? air force fds/ada, 3sib, tpt hub west?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    this is a bit off topic but..

ndp? you are from which unit? air force fds/ada, 3sib, tpt hub west?
    hmm are you in it too? i'm from 8 SAB signal coy. you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siukingyiu)
    Actually I wanted to check in 36kg of luggage, but they complained and got the manager to speak to me. Afterwhich i removed 5kg and put them into plastic bags, and checked in 31kg instead.

So i brought 15kg backpack and 5kg up the plane.
    15kg backpack is incredibly heavy tho, it was one of those 42litres deuter bag.

edit: oh and it was to Copenhagen, not sweden.
    Typically, the singapore side is more anal about the weight. When i take SIA from copenhagen, the whites are usually more lenient and just let me through.

I will list down the weight of checked in luggage i have for the past few years.

year 2008 - 31kg
    year 2007 - 34kg
    year 2006 - 32kg
    year 2005 - 28kg

And then I usually have a hand carry luggage of >10kg.

I think this method of bringing more weight is better if ur alone, cuz those counter girls will take pity on u and let u thru.
    Oh and, technically the weight limit is 25kg. After the limit, u might be liable to a penalty of 70sgd/kg. So do anything at ur own risk.
    mmm. im taking British Airways and I think the student package offered 2 x 23 kg.

Praying hard they wouldn't strike in the summer which they mentioned...

ReputationRep:
    hmm are you in it too? i'm from 8 SAB signal coy. you?
    nah. thankfully not in the actual ndp parade. but should be part of the cover detail for sea/water threat team. Navy FLEET Command, RHIB Platoon PS at your service. hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ychangling)
    mmm. im taking British Airways and I think the student package offered 2 x 23 kg.

Praying hard they wouldn't strike in the summer which they mentioned...
    Hi, are you flying with e rest who are going to UCL? BA is much cheaper than SIA imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    nah. thankfully not in the actual ndp parade. but should be part of the cover detail for sea/water threat team. Navy FLEET Command, RHIB Platoon PS at your service. hahaha.
    haha i have no idea what your role is, sorry! i from army u see, always chiong sua.

ReputationRep:
    haha i have no idea what your role is, sorry! i from army u see, always chiong sua.
    eh! what is that supposed to mean.. but yeah la i get your point. army outfield/chiongsua is a different degree of toughness to navy ones. hmm signals.. if you arent the sit in aircon and man comm set from hq then.. my guess is you lay lines for command post and all that? thats tough. darn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    eh! what is that supposed to mean.. but yeah la i get your point. army outfield/chiongsua is a different degree of toughness to navy ones. hmm signals.. if you arent the sit in aircon and man comm set from hq then.. my guess is you lay lines for command post and all that? thats tough. darn.
    Haha well, i'm still not signals trained.. Besides we hardly do anything on normal days. breakfast, exercise on alternate days, and rest after that for the entire day.

Most prob i'll be the one laying line - which will determine which signal course i enroll in sep.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.