Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    yeh 3 paragraphs in Section A and 3 paragraphs in Section B

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me a page/chapter in the Novella where Slim says a few words or has a conversation?
    Most likely the passage will have Slim talking? if he does come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student.wizz)
    Please help and i will quote you and you're reputation will gain and many people don't know what it means.
    Important
    6.5 Insightful exploration of a range of telling detail to support response to context(s)
    What does it mean?
    ASAP
    It means providing ideas and exploring different concepts of contextual detail, so this means when you include your context about omam, you provide the link to novel, writers intentions and the effect on the reader.

The insightful bit just entail subtlety or 'reading between the lines ' to provoke ideas an concepts.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marie farie)
    I understand that but Steinbeck is a realist and such metaphors kind of contradict his point. I mean sure if you justify your interpretation then good for you but it still has to be plausible. I could say that by Curley's wife wearing "ostrich feathers" she is hiding her true self since ostriches bury their heads in the ground? I don't know...
    I agree with as long as you can justify it because that's what I've always learnt and I think the ostrich feather point is exactly a good point, but a bit vague

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Okay, here's one for Of Mice and Men
    a) Read the passage at the beginning of chapter 6 from "the deep green pool..." to "reeds at the pool's side."
    What methods does Steinbeck use to show the differences/similarities between humans and nature?

b) How does Steinbeck use the American Dream to motivate and connect different characters?
    Im going to try this at about 10 ... its a nice question!

ryan

ReputationRep:
    Guys, can you please tell me who/what you predict will/won't come up on An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men because I'm about five minutes away from ripping my hair out and having an emotional breakdown and I'd really appreciate the help! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Which characters are most likely to come in OMAM tommorow?
    I hope its Slim and not Curley!
    Most people I've spoken to think that either Slim or Curley will come up but most people think its Slim

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemarling)
    Guys, can you please tell me who/what you predict will/won't come up on An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men because I'm about five minutes away from ripping my hair out and having an emotional breakdown and I'd really appreciate the help! :confused:
    I need an emotional breakdown too - shall we do it together?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've put tiny dots on important pages and a little scribble at the top of the pages I think are important. We're allowed to take our books in.

They won't get pissy about that, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyHendry)
    It sucks, I'd have loved to highlight all over mine! haha, good luck guys!
    Im sure you aren't allowed the novels????????

ReputationRep:
    I feel Slim or Crooks are very likely to be mentioned in a question in OMAM. They have never been asked about before, so ensure that you understand their role in the story as well as their link with other characters.

I reckon Eric will come up in an Inspector Calls. He is a key character who has never been asked about. So make sure that you know his role in the play, how he changes throughout and whether he presents Priestly's message or not.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I really need some points for Slim from OMAM please let me know if you have any good points I could expand on x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how there could be a question on Slim for Of Mice and Men? The question is usually revolved around a theme such as racism, women etc so that you can answer part b. For Slim there are very limited themes are linked to him.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys jus wants to know if we need to write a conclusion? What do we need to include for an a* I. Rather confused...

ReputationRep:
    My final predictions:

Of Mice and Men - Slim and Curley together, or just Slim. If they go for a setting, Nature.

The Crucible: I think it'll be Elizabeth Proctor. Danforth or the Putnams very likely as well.

Good luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tatwriter)
    I don't think they get funded from AQA but exam texts should be priority for school funds.

People may try to cheat by the invigilators will see the texts as they walk around and if they see notes they have to disqualify you.
    What exam are you talking about? I'm sitting TKAMB and poems, and an inspector calls and never let me go and we are not allowed any copies of the text???????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHELLYJ)
    What exam are you talking about? I'm sitting TKAMB and poems, and an inspector calls and never let me go and we are not allowed any copies of the text???????
    If you are on AQA you are allowed the text

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I need an emotional breakdown too - shall we do it together?
    Yes please, haha! I'm so stressed I literally sat and cried for about ten minutes before...I really need at least an A in this subject and I'm doubting that I will considering the HUGE failure I made of myself in the English Language exam plus the fact that we've never actually done a practice paper just.....ugh. Someone hold me.

ReputationRep:
    I look at these replys and see people looking for a*'s, I can barely get a C, whats the crucial points that I will need to include?

ReputationRep:
    Yes please, haha! I'm so stressed I literally sat and cried for about ten minutes before...I really need at least an A in this subject and I'm doubting that I will considering the HUGE failure I made of myself in the English Language exam plus the fact that we've never actually done a practice paper just.....ugh. Someone hold me.
    In the exam this is what we will do ok:
    *think I can do this*
    *Open the paper*
    *look at the question*
    DO NOT PANIC OK WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T PANIC JUST DON'T ITS AGAINST THE LAW OK.
    *Spend 5 minutes writing a plan if you can't answer is, less if you can*
    *Write*
    *PEE THROUGHOUT YOUR PAPER;
    Point evidence explanation*
    JUST KEEP PEEING, PEEING FTW.
    Just stay calm

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.