Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Tbh, I think one of the problems with the Emirates is just that there aren't enough good memories. People's memories of Highbury are going to include all the nostalgic moments with the Invincible's and players gone by. How many of those have occurred at the Emirates. In the short term the Emirates has been a story of relative underachievement and budget players. Once the stadium is paid off, the club pushes on with the extra financial muscle and you have some more memories to compete I think the stadium will seem a little more like home. Ultimately it ensures Arsenal don't need to take the financial risk like many other clubs to stay competitive.
    I was gonna say something similar, you associate Highbury with success, the great Arsenal teams of the past and players like Henry, Bergkamp, Adams and Wright.

You associate the Emirates with the League Cup bottling side and Denilson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I was gonna say something similar, you associate Highbury with success, the great Arsenal teams of the past and players like Henry, Bergkamp, Adams and Wright.

You associate the Emirates with the League Cup bottling side and Denilson.
    Problem with nostalgia

As Zurich often says though, its short term pain for long term gain, far smarter than the countless teams across Europe who have experienced the opposite trying to compete without the non performance related revenue streams in place.

Ironically my first experience of the Emirates was watching Brazil with a load of Brazilians so I watched some great players and the atmosphere was awesome, almost unsettlingly happy. Quite at odd with the general view of the library.

ReputationRep:
    Wigan currently losing, can they get relegated before the game with us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    Wigan currently losing, can they get relegated before the game with us?
    Nope. If we beat them then they get relegated. They will literally be fighting for survival. :sigh: just our luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Nope. If we beat them then they get relegated. They will literally be fighting for survival. :sigh: just our luck.
    They're fighting for survival even if they win tonight, so it doesn't make much difference in that regard. At least if we relegate them Newcastle will be safe and probably easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Tbh if you can't score against Wigan there is little point being the CL. Press wigan high up the pitch you'll outscore them regardless of the defensive shift.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if you can't score against Wigan there is little point being the CL. Press wigan high up the pitch you'll outscore them regardless of the defensive shift.
    They could have shut Swansea out if they had defended better they conceded silly goals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    They could have shut Swansea out if they had defended better they conceded silly goals
    That is pretty much the story of Wigan though. Its pretty much saying if they eliminated their biggest flaw they'd be a better side.

ReputationRep:
    That is pretty much the story of Wigan though. Its pretty much saying if they eliminated their biggest flaw they'd be a better side.
    Keeper going up- Ah I love the desparation

ReputationRep:
    FT 3-2 Swansea

ReputationRep:
    You do realise Manchester Utd lost a vital game against them last season? A game that cost them the title. I guess they don't even deserve to be in the PL then!

I think 38 points might just keep them up actually. As long as they don't take a thumping from us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    You do realise Manchester Utd lost a vital game against them last season? A game that cost them the title. I guess they don't even deserve to be in the PL then!

I think 38 points might just keep them up actually. As long as they don't take a thumping from us.
    What he's saying is that a team of arsenal's quality should beat a team fighting relegation and if can't we don't deserve to be in Europe's elite competition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)

Because we lacked any ability to press them, the perks of playing Giggs and Carrick two players with zero mobility in midfield. 52% possession against Wigan says it all really. And tbh, United didn't deserve to win the title last season, the fact we were even in the running say more about the competition than the team. As I said, press them high up the team doesn't have the quality not to make mistakes and when they do around their own box it will cost them.

I'm fearing Wigan's backlash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    7 years ago today that Highbury held it's last game. Very bittersweet moment for me and my family personally that we left. It was a truly special ground and embodied everything good about Arsenal: the classy art deco stand, the marble halls, the way it was just there slap bang in the middle of all these houses in the middle of an old working class area. My grandparents still live on the Avenell Road. We probably did have to move, but I wish the club had found a way to expand the ground. It was a special stadium and had something about it that I don't think the Emirates will ever have. I will always remember my first game at Highbury. It was that game vs Everton in 1998. My dad didn't intend to take me until I was a bit older but he knew that day was going to special, and he was right. I think the best thing about Highbury was how it seemed like you were so close to the pitch. From the East stand you almost felt you could touch the grass if you stretched out your hands.

Here are some pictures. As I said it was a beautiful place. we probably had to move to become a truly 'big' club, but sometimes you maybe wonder if it was worth it...? Wish they had incorporated parts of what made Highbury so famous into the Emirates.

Very moving and I echo everything you said. Highbury was a truly special stadium - the Emirates will gradually become a haven but I think we need to start winning trophies for that to happen. But Highbury will always be Highbury. I used to be able to see a portion of the pitch from my sister's house - I remember seeing Michael Ricketts score a header for Bolton and Thierry Henry celebrating with the corner flag from her living room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Good point you are silvers aint you ? Have you had anything nagging you about deadlines yet ?
    yeah im silver. got something about it yeah but I didnt think too much into it for the sake of 30 quid.

bit tactless from Arsenal tbh to try and hoover up more cash after another average season. but they couldnt give a **** really.

ReputationRep:
    New Puma deal?

ReputationRep:
    Because we lacked any ability to press them, the perks of playing Giggs and Carrick two players with zero mobility in midfield. 52% possession against Wigan says it all really. And tbh, United didn't deserve to win the title last season, the fact we were even in the running say more about the competition than the team. As I said, press them high up the team doesn't have the quality not to make mistakes and when they do around their own box it will cost them.
    I don't think you give Wigan enough credit. They should have won by 3 or 4 against you last season but an incompetent linesman disallowed a couple of good goals.

We should win but your idea of if we don't beat wigan, we don't deserve to be in CL is garbage. I could say that UTD don't deserve to be in the CL for not getting through a group containing Basle, Cluj and whoever else was in your group that season.

ReputationRep:
    John Cross in the mirror has broken a story that weve signed a 170m kit deal with Puma, 30m a year. This would be huge for us if true and Puma normally make beautiful kits as well so fingers crossed! Cross is normally spot on wrt Arsenal and loads of reliable twitter sources are buying it.

Apparently Puma have big ambitions to catch up with Nike/Adidas and just went all in for an Arsenal deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    New Puma deal?
    Would like that. Our Nike kits don't seem to be changing at all and I think Nike gets away with poor design just because of how big the brand has become now.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.