Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)
    well at the moment it is running at something like 98% capacity, clearly thats not sustainable so we need to be building more hospitals, hiring more nurses, etc, this will likely cost money, but one cannot put a price on healthcare.

(Original post by Stricof)
    Fully funded as in - not partially privately operated but totally state funded. Cut is probably referring to funding - And thus the closure of certain hospitals or wards.
    Healthcare should be free for every resident of the United Kingdom and thus I do not think that it should be cut or privatised. There are almost definitely ways to save money but these should never be done at the expense of patient care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Healthcare should be free for every resident of the United Kingdom and thus I do not think that it should be cut or privatised. There are almost definitely ways to save money but these should never be done at the expense of patient care.
    best way to save money would be cutting managerial costs but for some reason governments ask the management to make the cuts then wonder why they keep there jobs, perks and large salaries.

at the moment wars are often packed and patient care suffers because of this, imo we need to be building more wards and hospitals and making sure they are fully staffed, frankly any cost is worth it to keep people healthy and save lives.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    best way to save money would be cutting managerial costs but for some reason governments ask the management to make the cuts then wonder why they keep there jobs, perks and large salaries.

at the moment wars are often packed and patient care suffers because of this, imo we need to be building more wards and hospitals and making sure they are fully staffed, frankly any cost is worth it to keep people healthy and save lives.
    I, to an extent, agree.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    Whilst I agree on principle, I think it's best if we work with the private healthcare providers to provide a better service. Everyone should still be entitled to a free NHS but I don't see any harm in either letting people pay for a quicker service, or in hiring out NHS equipment to private companies.

At Aintree, I believe they loan the MRI scanner out to private companies on weekends but have an agreement whereby they can use it in emergency cases. Deals like this might mean patients have to wait a little longer for the services they need but it will ensure that hospitals get the funding they need to keep maintaining a high quality of care.

ReputationRep:

completely agree with this, especially the management bit. However the fully staffed problem could be solved by drastically cutting the amount of sick time allowed, as it's being used as an addition to holidays in some cases

ReputationRep:
    Labour are the only party without a 100% attendance to vote, what say you considering you are the largest party in the rainbow coalition? Shouldn't you have sorted out your MPs by now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    Labour are the only party without a 100% attendance to vote, what say you considering you are the largest party in the rainbow coalition? Shouldn't you have sorted out your MPs by now?
    Our absence is a member named Kaskade who has decided to resign for personal reasons which cropped up at a time that coincided with the beginning of parliament. We are already in the process of putting a new MP in.

Attendance in general in the House is spectacular so far, though more people involved in debate would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Our absence is a member named Kaskade who has decided to resign for personal reasons which cropped up at a time that coincided with the beginning of parliament. We are already in the process of putting a new MP in.

Attendance in general in the House is spectacular so far, though more people involved in debate would be nice.
    Debate being the more fundamental bit.

ReputationRep:
    Does the Labour Party believe in discussing Bills, or just voting on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Does the Labour Party believe in discussing Bills, or just voting on them?
    As with every party in the history of this House, once you get above a certain threshold of MPs you have a proportion who basically don't really get involved that much and just vote. Since we make a point of reminding MPs to vote if they haven't debated, we still get voters. There are also those who don't have expertise in particular bills and thus discuss the bills in the sub forums and then vote as they are advised. This is how we operate.

ReputationRep:
    As with every party in the history of this House, once you get above a certain threshold of MPs you have a proportion who basically don't really get involved that much and just vote. Since we make a point of reminding MPs to vote if they haven't debated, we still get voters. There are also those who don't have expertise in particular bills and thus discuss the bills in the sub forums and then vote as they are advised. This is how we operate.
    They discuss Bills going through the house in the sub-forum? Why not in the House?

Why remind your members only to vote, and not to discuss? Do you not think that the debate and discussion aspect is far, far more important part of this game than voting? Can the Labour Party not find better MPs than mere robots who will not discuss and just vote as advised. At least, if the Party is advising people to vote in a certain way - it would be nice to have a representative explain why the Party will be advising to vote one way or another.

Does the party appreciate how utterly frustrating it is to spend a lot time crafting a Bill, researching many other things for changes to allay the concerns of all those who discussed it merely to have a load of anonymous useless robots turn up and vote No having raised no objections?

ReputationRep:
    They discuss Bills going through the house in the sub-forum? Why not in the House?

Why remind your members only to vote, and not to discuss? Do you not think that the debate and discussion aspect is far, far more important part of this game than voting? Can the Labour Party not find better MPs than mere robots who will not discuss and just vote as advised. At least, if the Party is advising people to vote in a certain way - it would be nice to have a representative explain why the Party will be advising to vote one way or another.

Does the party appreciate how utterly frustrating it is to spend a lot time crafting a Bill, researching many other things for changes to allay the ears of all those who discussed it merely to ave a load of anonymous useless robots turn up and vote No having raised no objections?
    Of course we bloody do, this happens to us as well as to you. And it has always happened and will always happen. And it isn't just TSR Politics, it's the way the world works.

We do want all our members to discuss bills, and many do, but to be quite honest not everyone likes to. Some of those that don't prefer the relative safety of the sub forum. We have many seats to fill and not everyone who joins is capable.

With large and controversial bills e.g. Welfare Bill, Liberties bill, I created a discussion thread in the sub forum. We use this to establish what we think without exposing our ignorance to the House :laugh:

And as Chief Whip, I really don't feel the need to tell the House whether I've whipped one way or t'other. If people ask and I don't think they're doing it to be irritating I'll tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you throw the borders open to mass immigration, Which was forced upon the British public?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
    Why did you throw the borders open to mass immigration, Which was forced upon the British public?
    We didn't. We are not affiliated with the real life Labour party.

ReputationRep:
    Of course we bloody do, this happens to us as well as to you. And it has always happened and will always happen. And it isn't just TSR Politics, it's the way the world works.

We do want all our members to discuss bills, and many do, but to be quite honest not everyone likes to. Some of those that don't prefer the relative safety of the sub forum. We have many seats to fill and not everyone who joins is capable.

With large and controversial bills e.g. Welfare Bill, Liberties bill, I created a discussion thread in the sub forum. We use this to establish what we think without exposing our ignorance to the House :laugh:

And as Chief Whip, I really don't feel the need to tell the House whether I've whipped one way or t'other. If people ask and I don't think they're doing it to be irritating I'll tell them.
    If we're not here for discussion on topics we create Bills on, why are we here at all? These laws affect nobody but hypothetical people, the only point of even being in the House is crafting and debating ideas wich we do through a structured form of Bills.

Really, I ask honestly - when people don't discuss Bills - what is the point?

ReputationRep:
    If we're not here for discussion on topics we create Bills on, why are we here at all? These laws affect nobody but hypothetical people, the only point of even being in the House is crafting and debating ideas wich we do through a structured form of Bills.

The people who want to discuss bills do. the people who want to write bills do. The people who want to talk to like minded people about politics do. The people who want to spam up the bar do.

Many discuss bills. Dw.

ReputationRep:

Where is JP?
    Where (and indeed, who) is D.R.E? < he/she has a 100% voting record and yet I've never actually come across them posting.

With all due respect, but getting at a party for not discussing bills is a bit off when your own party is guilty of similar.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask the position of the labour party on withdrawing/remaining in the European Union, given that they have entered a coalition government with UKIP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Where is JP?
    Where (and indeed, who) is D.R.E? < he/she has a 100% voting record and yet I've never actually come across them posting.

With all due respect, but getting at a party for not discussing bills is a bit off when your own party is guilty of similar.
    I'm an individual and getting at individuals. I discuss Bills and so I don't feel in the slightest bit hypocritical in having a go at other individuals.

But I might just stop, and start voting, so everyone appreciates how utterly frustrating it is, and how little it adds to the house.

As for D.R.E. - he's abstained twice, and the one time he's voted No, he posted here to at least register his disapproval. He also has debated during the Organ Donor Reform Bill. If you're going to Abstain, and don't care - then I can understand not debating - but if you're going to vote against a proposal it's only common courtesy to say WHY you're voting No, and to give the Bill author the chance to amend the Bill if they so wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    May I ask the position of the labour party on withdrawing/remaining in the European Union, given that they have entered a coalition government with UKIP
    In general we wish to remain in the European Union, though some members do not feel this way.
    I'm an individual and getting at individuals. I discuss Bills and so I don't feel in the slightest bit hypocritical in having a go at other individuals.

But I might just stop, and start voting, so everyone appreciates how utterly frustrating it is, and how little it adds to the house.

As for D.R.E. - he's abstained twice, and the one time he's voted No, he posted here to at least register his disapproval. He also has debated during the Organ Donor Reform Bill. If you're going to Abstain, and don't care - then I can understand not debating - but if you're going to vote against a proposal it's only common courtesy to say WHY you're voting No, and to give the Bill author the chance to amend the Bill if they so wish.
    While the sentiment is shared by most veterans of the House, it isn't realistic to ask that every MP debate and vote. People have lives. The only reason I'm on as much as I am is because I'm a student and I'm procrastinating my essays. If I find myself a job, I will not be here so much and then you'll be complaining about me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.