Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    I love it! Although I wish I had applied for Edinburgh as well!
    The oxbridge deadline was just too early... hadn't really thought about it...
    I only realised I wanted to apply for Oxford a few weeks before the deadline. It was lucky I'd already done most of my PS.

What did you like about Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    I really liked the city! That was the main thing. Also the department were really lovely I thought. It's not my favourite uni but I prefer it to Imperial.
    If I had applied to Edinburgh however I probably would have put it as my insurance.
    I didn't think the city was that great :dontknow:

I thought Durham was a much nicer city than Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    I haven't looked at Durham, too far
    Ah, fair enough. How far is too far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Well I live in the south... just above London so..... far
    Ah.

I wanted to get as far away as possible. It's the only reason I didn't apply for Manchester despite loving it there.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to interrupt guys, im thinking about doing chemistry for uni and I was wondering what kind of things I should be doing during as year to build up my personal statement? Thanks you and sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keelahla)
    Whoops I meant 29th of January *facepalm* thanks for the advice im just doing loads of interview practise do they ask more chemistry or like personal questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On the way to the interview room they ask "personal" questions you could say but it's just small talk to make the awkward walk more bearable ahah. Other than that it will almost certainly be all chemistry questions. I think with almost everyone I talked to they use the personl statement as a starting point and very quickly the conversation branches off. I strongly recommend you look up things you mentioned in your personal statement and read up on related areas which go beyond the a-level syllabus because that's what they will ask you on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longsightdon)
    Sorry to interrupt guys, im thinking about doing chemistry for uni and I was wondering what kind of things I should be doing during as year to build up my personal statement? Thanks you and sorry
    Wider reading, that always helps.

Chemistry work experiences are hard to get but even something relevant will do, like helping out your school/college's science technicians, applying for summer schools or a placement.

Even experiences not related to chemistry are helpful, as long as you can somehow turn it into a chemistry related experience. Sorry I'm not been very clear.
    I did a biology research placement during the summer but was still able to kind of turn it into how I though chemistry was better and all that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    There was a lad I met at my Oxford interviews who got an AAA offer. I suppose on the day they'll say how common each offer is like they did at Bristol.
    What did they say at Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longsightdon)
    Look up Villiers Park. They do an amazing residential course.
    Read why chemical reactions happen by Wothers and Keeler.
    Do the chemistry olympiad and cambridge chemistry challenge this year. In order to broaden your chemistry general knowledge do the cambridge chemistry challenge on line too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmseahorse)
    What did they say at Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They just explained how they were giving most people A*AA offers, and only very few AAA offers.

I've done no prep for my Imperial interview so I don't think it will go well

ReputationRep:
    Look up Villiers Park. They do an amazing residential course.
    Read why chemical reactions happen by Wothers and Keeler.
    Do the chemistry olympiad and cambridge chemistry challenge this year. In order to broaden your chemistry general knowledge do the cambridge chemistry challenge on line too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Cambridge Chemistry challenge paper last year was awful! I have no idea how I managed to get a certificate in it. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    anyone got replied back from imperial ?? I applied there in December 2013, but still hasn't heard anything,, kinda worry now,,, and if I get interview, is that going to be hard?( for anyone who had them?) and how possible will I get a offer afterward ????,, imperial is my top choice,,so,.... it will be very appreciate if someone can answer these questions for me )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    The Cambridge Chemistry challenge paper last year was awful! I have no idea how I managed to get a certificate in it. :grin:
    What did you get? Going for olympiad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys i have an interview for Reading on the 28th and I'm totally ****ting my pants lol...What kind of questions do they ask at chemistry interviews?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get? Going for olympiad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got a Silver.

And no, I haven't looked at it. I don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Did you find that they focused on one area in particular ? How far did they go beyond the syllabus? I've just been going over everything related to chemistry *facepalm *

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theCreator)
    On the way to the interview room they ask "personal" questions you could say but it's just small talk to make the awkward walk more bearable ahah. Other than that it will almost certainly be all chemistry questions. I think with almost everyone I talked to they use the personl statement as a starting point and very quickly the conversation branches off. I strongly recommend you look up things you mentioned in your personal statement and read up on related areas which go beyond the a-level syllabus because that's what they will ask you on.
    Did you find that they focused on one area in particular ? How far did they go beyond the syllabus? I've just been going over everything related to chemistry *facepalm *

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    I got a Silver.

And no, I haven't looked at it. I don't see the point.
    Ah me too. Because you need to try to prove to yourself that you are good enough for oxford and that they haven't made a massive mistake in giving you an offer(my reason)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah me too. Because you need to try to prove to yourself that you are good enough for oxford and that they haven't made a massive mistake in giving you an offer(my reason)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if they've made a mistake then that's their problem, not mine

Have you done much prep for the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    Well if they've made a mistake then that's their problem, not mine

Have you done much prep for the interview?
    Virtually none unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2016

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.