Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Count to a MINUS million and be the first forum to do it! Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekbok)

Yeah, the plan is to bin it.

Yeah, we think it's been wired up instead of the fan which doesn't work. Anyway, doing a new plug isn't an issue.

We have lights and radios that turn on when you open the garage door, which is odd.

Not a lot is, we had loads of posters of motorbikes and girls left as well. :/

It's fine in the attic, it's kinda quiet in the bathroom, but you can hear it.
    In that case you can then rewire the fan so it does work
    I learnt how to do a new plug quite a few years ago (when I was 10 or 11?), it's quite simple to do. Connect the live, neutral and earth to the correct places, and put an appropriate fuse in.

Chances are the garage is another case of wiring the radios up to the lighting circuit. Good if you want to listen to music, but I'd recommend using a proper plug socket for it Don't tell me that's also on classic fm! :doh::facepalm:

Unless you're into motorbikes and girls then that really isn't any good to anyone! I wouldn't want them either!

So basically most of upstairs can hear it? Nice, that's one way of listening to the radio whilst you bathe, or wash, or shower etc.

When I have my computer speakers turned on, with the music playing at a moderate level, the whole of upstairs can hear it. Turn it up a bit more and the whole house can hear it

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Yeah, sounds quite cool and we'll be finding those things for a while. There's a trapdoor in the kitchen. :eek:
    Ooohhh... where does that trapdoor lead to? A secret room, or a stockpile of junk?

Sounds interesting that you've got all these hidden extras!

-1400 needs fixing.

Hi Kerrydouglas
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by spotify95)
    In that case you can then rewire the fan so it does work
    I learnt how to do a new plug quite a few years ago (when I was 10 or 11?), it's quite simple to do. Connect the live, neutral and earth to the correct places, and put an appropriate fuse in.

Chances are the garage is another case of wiring the radios up to the lighting circuit. Good if you want to listen to music, but I'd recommend using a proper plug socket for it Don't tell me that's also on classic fm! :doh::facepalm:

Unless you're into motorbikes and girls then that really isn't any good to anyone! I wouldn't want them either!

So basically most of upstairs can hear it? Nice, that's one way of listening to the radio whilst you bathe, or wash, or shower etc.

When I have my computer speakers turned on, with the music playing at a moderate level, the whole of upstairs can hear it. Turn it up a bit more and the whole house can hear it

Ooohhh... where does that trapdoor lead to? A secret room, or a stockpile of junk?

Sounds interesting that you've got all these hidden extras!

-1400 needs fixing.

Hi Kerrydouglas
    Yeah, I know it's simple. I know I've done it, but I can't think when.

I'm not sure, the radio for that is in my room and on a shelf and I've turned it off, so even though it gets power, it doesn't come on. We think it's a burglar alert system.

Nah, you can only really hear it if you're in there which is nice, and yeah, it's one way of doing it.

Nah, cause it's an old house the walls are really thick so sound doesn't travel.

It's in the extension, which used to be the garage so it's the old garage pit.

Fixed (and I'll put a number in this one)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I know it's simple. I know I've done it, but I can't think when.

I'm not sure, the radio for that is in my room and on a shelf and I've turned it off, so even though it gets power, it doesn't come on. We think it's a burglar alert system.

Nah, you can only really hear it if you're in there which is nice, and yeah, it's one way of doing it.

Nah, cause it's an old house the walls are really thick so sound doesn't travel.

It's in the extension, which used to be the garage so it's the old garage pit.

Fixed
    So long as you know how to do it, that's the main thing

Hmmmm... this gets stranger and more complicated all the time. So, this is a radio that comes on when the garage lights lights are on, so must be wired up to the garage light circuit. In that case it would work well as a burglar alarm. But why is the radio for that in your room? :confused:

Is this just an ordinary radio, or is it a special type one for burglar alarm systems?

I think that's the best way of listening to music in the bathroom as you can't have electrics in the bathroom (unless the are IP rated against being waterproof). We recently done a makeover to our bathroom and had to put new lights in, they had to be special lights that are "water-jet proof" (IP65). Otherwise you risk having problems....

That would make good soundproofing then

That seems about right, we used to have a garage pit in our old house but don't anymore Hopefully the people who last lived in your house, didn`t shove rubbish in that pit

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

So long as you know how to do it, that's the main thing

Hmmmm... this gets stranger and more complicated all the time. So, this is a radio that comes on when the garage lights lights are on, so must be wired up to the garage light circuit. In that case it would work well as a burglar alarm. But why is the radio for that in your room? :confused:

Is this just an ordinary radio, or is it a special type one for burglar alarm systems?

I think that's the best way of listening to music in the bathroom as you can't have electrics in the bathroom (unless the are IP rated against being waterproof). We recently done a makeover to our bathroom and had to put new lights in, they had to be special lights that are "water-jet proof" (IP65). Otherwise you risk having problems....

That would make good soundproofing then

That seems about right, we used to have a garage pit in our old house but don't anymore Hopefully the people who last lived in your house, didn`t shove rubbish in that pit

I have no idea why it's in my room, it just is.

Nope a normal (but bit dusty) radio.

Yeah, we also have a normal power socket near the sink, it's too close even for a bathroom socket. :/

We're pretty sure he did the wiring himself, there's a hosepipe carrying electrics to the greenhouse that contains normal, indoor cables.

Yeah, it does.

No, they didn't but it did flood cause they left a tap on before moving out and the dog's also fallen down there. :eek:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.