Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am1992)
    Offer holders day. There's a series of talks on medicine, the course, accom etc and a general chance to meet people. Once you're able to log into the offer holders page you'll see the details and be able to sign up.
    Thanks. Am at work right now - 7th June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razeak)
    I keep seeing the 7th mentioned but I'm not sure what that's referring to?

I haven't been in your secret group emails... :P
    Haha again it's on the portal, you can optionally register to attend an acceptance day which is basically just more in depth chats with current students, and having a few lectures on the course from staff. 100% optional but a lot of people are going in order to meet others and arrange accommodation etc

ReputationRep:
    M150 - I think I may have just received your OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had completely written my chances off. Man, I'm blown away. I'd been making - and enacting - alternative plans and .... hot damn, my entire life has just changed.

Crazy.

See you lot in September.
    Congratulations!! See you on the 7th or September

ReputationRep:
    M150 - I think I may have just received your OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had completely written my chances off. Man, I'm blown away. I'd been making - and enacting - alternative plans and .... hot damn, my entire life has just changed.

Crazy.

See you lot in September.
    WELL DONE!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think I owe this thread a huge apology, I had totally written it off but I got an offer today!!!! (In my junk e-mail).

I just want to run around screaming but I can't because I'm at work!! I did get my coworker to pinch me though, I still think I'm probably dreaming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cats-R-Us)
    I think I owe this thread a huge apology, I had totally written it off but I got an offer today!!!! (In my junk e-mail).

I just want to run around screaming but I can't because I'm at work!! I did get my coworker to pinch me though, I still think I'm probably dreaming
    Hate to say I told you so :P congratulations! it's been a long time coming. Hopefully see you in July?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Hate to say I told you so :P congratulations! it's been a long time coming. Hopefully see you in July?
    I didn't realise it was in July, thought it had already happened this month >.<! Was a bit worried about housing since I was on the waiting list.

I was dreading the thought of getting an offer too late. I'd applied for a Masters and got an offer for that too, good thing I waited before accepting it ^.^

ReputationRep:

Congratulations!!! I actually did scream a bit and cried semi-hysterically. At work. Oops.

ReputationRep:

Yay! Friggin hell, that's awesome. Congrats.

No apology needed. I went through exactly what you did. We're out in one piece but not unscarred. That was an extremely tough wait. I'm relieved for both of us!

When I say relieved, I mean excited. Medical students! Woah!

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Friggin hell, that's awesome. Congrats.

No apology needed. I went through exactly what you did. We're out in one piece but not unscarred. That was an extremely tough wait. I'm relieved for both of us!

When I say relieved, I mean excited. Medical students! Woah!
    I'm gonna wake up soon and it's gonna have been one long, very realistic dream ^.^

I've started on the pre-lecture material because I miss studying. I think I'm gonna like this course!! (If I'm not dreaming, that is)

ReputationRep:

Yessss!!! Well done!!! I'm so happy for you!!

See you in September!

ReputationRep:
    So pleased for you. I am a parent of an offer holder and had been following this thread in the lead-up to their offer. There were several of you waiting to hear and I had been following you with interest. Cats-R-Us was the last one in that little group - MJK91, Razeak, Awesome Alien and now you and it's made my day that all of you are in - well done! Very best wishes

ReputationRep:
    Thought you guys might get a laugh out of this.

I talked about ICE SKATING in my interview. Sure, it's about the context, but still. Ice skating. That was a disastrous interview. I think I blocked that out of my memory for a while actually...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm in my second year of biomedical engineering at Warwick univerisity and I want to apply for Med for the postgraduate course. Does anyone know the requirements and what they look for? Moreover do they look at alevels and gcse"s and what extra activities did anyone do to be granted with an offer at Warwick ? Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilkha)
    Hey guys I'm in my second year of biomedical engineering at Warwick univerisity and I want to apply for Med for the postgraduate course. Does anyone know the requirements and what they look for? Moreover do they look at alevels and gcse"s and what extra activities did anyone do to be granted with an offer at Warwick ? Thankyou
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/st...ing/entryreqs/

Entry requirements ^

In terms of extra curriculars, medically related I did hospital shadowing, GP shadowing, hospital portering, volunteer as ambulance crew and a community first responder with the Red Cross and spent 3 months as a HCA.

Non-medically I was in the army for 3 years (regs very briefly, then TA infantry), volunteer as a children's magistrate, was a legal adviser with citizens advice (I'm a law grad), volunteered with a youth group in the Gambia.

Sports wise I hillwalk (both in and out of country), run, scuba dive and fence (abet badly!).

That's just my background and there's a variety of stuff you can do. Anything that shows responsibility, teamwork and commitment is valued (i.e. start stuff as early as possible, not just a few weeks before interview). Obv you need some medically stuff, including, but not limited to, shadowing.

There's a general 2016 grad entry page on TSR which might be helpful if talking to this years applicants (you're on last years page). Just type in graduate medicine or something, should pop up. Don't know if there's a 2016 page for Warwick yet, maybe you could start it!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much and :,) yes maybe I should

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Warwick but I'm close to changing my mind after seeing Warwickd poor score on Guardians University Guide 😶. To all the offer holders here, what are your thoughts on Wareick being ranked 32/32 out of all of the medical schools in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushsaysno)
    I'm thinking of applying to Warwick but I'm close to changing my mind after seeing Warwickd poor score on Guardians University Guide 😶. To all the offer holders here, what are your thoughts on Wareick being ranked 32/32 out of all of the medical schools in the UK?
    Rankings don't matter at all in medicine. Also this one is potentially warped by the lack of entry tariff because it's grad only? I wouldn't worry about it. If you like the course and the uni you should apply, that's the only consideration necessary really

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushsaysno)
    It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. Here's why:

1) League tables are heavy skewed towards admissions criteria. Which is generally fair, if you're comparing like-for-like degrees. Warwick is very different from other medical schools in that it doesn't take into account A-level results as most of the other schools do (for undergraduate entry, which is the main study of the league tables). They're also skewed to postgraduate research and graduating from Warwick doesn't mean you're going to stagnate.

2) All medical schools cherry-pick data to advertise themselves as 'the best' in a certain area: http://student.bmj.com/student/view-...?id=sbmj.h1359

3) Warwick ranks 23/32 here, which should give you an idea to how useless league tables are: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ngs?s=medicine

2) Even if it was important, which it isn't, your school is blinded from applications for the Foundation Programme to prevent bias like this. All that matters is your decile score within your cohort, and other activity (publishing papers/presenting posters at conferences/winning prizes).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I've just got my Results and I've got my offer, so was wondering what everyone was planning on doing for accommodation come september?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.