Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Cheers mate.

Yeah Milner is definitely a product of his environment at times, able to be used as a utility midfielder and therefore deployed in numerous roles from game to game, and even within the same match.

Lucas is enjoying a real purple patch for a midfielder, it must be said. He was great and everywhere on Saturday I felt. He broke up play, got forward, and even sprayed the ball around well.
    Lucas did well because we didn't get tight to him. You give any player time and space on the ball, especially deep lying midfielders and they will do damage. The approach Liverpool used on Mikel compared to the approach Chelsea used on Lucas is pretty much what tied the game for you lot in the first half.

I think there are negatives from Saturday's victory - our urgency and tempo shifting the ball to our front three was too slow and lethargic at times, but Klopp will relish the chance to mould his players off the back of a victory. I think it's always better to reinforce good habits and get the team changing their style post-win to be honest, as they will be more perceptive.

I agree, and it's a shame Teixiera isn't in the EL squad to get a runout. I'd settle for a halfway house, to be honest. Maybe a back four of Clyne, Lovren, Skrtel and Moreno, midfield three of Can, Lucas and Allen, and a front three of Ings, Lallana and Origi.
    Not much negatives, you just thrashed a Chelsea side with a Depleted team. Our DMs were so deep and considering we pretty much had 6 players within a 10-15 yard vertical distance in the defensive third and massive space between that and the attacking 4 players you are going to play in the areas where you have more time and space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Imagine bashing another teams player for unsportsmanlike behaviour when you take every last chance to protect Skrtel/Suarez...
    What did Skrtel do?

Anyway Chelsea are no better at protecting players who should probably be hung out to dry *cough*Terry*cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Imagine bashing another teams player for unsportsmanlike behaviourist when you take every last chance to protect Skrtel/Suarez...
    If anything Suarez was refined and polished by Liverpool. Post 2013 his club form has been nothing short of spectacular.

The only reason you would bad mouth Martin Skrtel is well... because he scares the **** out of you. And please Chelsea is arguably the worst team when it comes to sportsmanship. You dont get to call out any team for "unsportsmanship" behaviour.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jam277)
    Not much negatives, you just thrashed a Chelsea side with a Depleted team.
    I see what you're saying, but we weren't flawless. I'll be more impressed if the 5000-mile trip to Kazan doesn't affect us and we manage to pick up a decent comfortable victory this weekend against Palace, to be honest.

We've looked lethargic after Europe all season.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/1...m-we-like-him/

Article on Lucas Leiva

ReputationRep:
    Can you believe he almost left in the summer?

By far our most underrated player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Can you believe he almost left in the summer?

By far our most underrated player.
    Has happened almost every summer since Rafa left.

Let's hope he doesn't get injured since he's doing a great job shielding the defence at the moment. No one else in our squad comes close to him in terms of being a DM.

ReputationRep:
    Lucas is one yellow from being suspended, so I'm worried that he'll grab another yellow in the Palace game and we will miss him for the City game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Lucas is one yellow from being suspended, so I'm worried that he'll grab another yellow in the Palace game and we will miss him for the City game.
    I was impressed that Klopp didn't hook Lucas off after that foul where it looked like he could get a second yellow card. I think he played for another 25 mins after that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I was impressed that Klopp didn't hook Lucas off after that foul where it looked like he could get a second yellow card. I think he played for another 25 mins after that?
    I was surprised he didn't bring Allen on but also impressed at how ballsy that was. Klopp knows how important Lucas is and he didn't wanna get complacent even though things were looking good in the game.

I did notice after the potential second yellow fiasco that Lucas got much smarter about things - still doing his job but not going in for risky tackles that would've surely given him a sending off.

All in all, as the poster above said we cannot afford to miss him in the City game because their midfield would just dominate ours. Even with him in it isn't much of a contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I was surprised he didn't bring Allen on but also impressed at how ballsy that was. Klopp knows how important Lucas is and he didn't wanna get complacent even though things were looking good in the game.

I did notice after the potential second yellow fiasco that Lucas got much smarter about things - still doing his job but not going in for risky tackles that would've surely given him a sending off.

All in all, as the poster above said we cannot afford to miss him in the City game because their midfield would just dominate ours. Even with him in it isn't much of a contest.
    Already shows how much Klopp trusts certain players.

Yea Lucas is a bright player and knows where the line is. I think it's only 2 red cards in his career so far.

Well I'd be surprised if he didn't get a yellow card against Crystal Palace..

ReputationRep:
    Already shows how much Klopp trusts certain players.

Yea Lucas is a bright player and knows where the line is. I think it's only 2 red cards in his career so far.

Well I'd be surprised if he didn't get a yellow card against Crystal Palace..
    I know it sound silly but if I were Klopp I'd play Allen against palace.
    If he gets a yellow we're screwed against City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I know it sound silly but if I were Klopp I'd play Allen against palace.
    If he gets a yellow we're screwed against City.
    We're probably going to lose against Man City away from home with or without Lucas. Main thing is to win 3 points at a time and then deal with what we have before the next game.

We could rest Lucas against Palace and then lose him to injury in training before the Man City game. You can't guess what will happen at any given time.

Lucas is a very intelligent player and he knows he's close to triggering a ban. I think Milner is already banned for the C.Palace game so he will probably start on Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    We're probably going to lose against Man City away from home with or without Lucas. Main thing is to win 3 points at a time and then deal with what we have before the next game.

We could rest Lucas against Palace and then lose him to injury in training before the Man City game. You can't guess what will happen at any given time.

Lucas is a very intelligent player and he knows he's close to triggering a ban. I think Milner is already banned for the C.Palace game so he will probably start on Thursday.
    Yeah I suppose that's true.

We SHOULD be getting 3 points against palace, but we aren't expected to get anything from City.
    Therefore as odd as it sounds, the Palace match is more important for us really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Yeah I suppose that's true.

We SHOULD be getting 3 points against palace, but we aren't expected to get anything from City.
    Therefore as odd as it sounds, the Palace match is more important for us really
    I guess Man City isn't where I'm looking at the moment? I'd be thrilled with finishing anywhere in the top 4 this season. I didn't expect it before but now I have some hope.

Anyone else following the APLT on Rawk? Makes for some interesting reading - basically factors in some level of difficulty against points being dropped. Bizarrely even though Spurs are 3 points ahead of us in the normal table, they are 5 points behind us in the APLT. Effectively Liverpool have played much tougher games compared to Spurs so far. Be interesting to see how both fare going forward over the next 10 games or so.

ReputationRep:

Think Milner served his ban against Bournemouth IIRC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    Think Milner served his ban against Bournemouth IIRC
    Yep my mistake. I thought he got his 5th card against Chelsea for some reason.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Allen impressed me quietly against Bournemouth to be honest. He seemed to mentor Teixeira and Brannagan through the game, giving them reason to be confident. He broke up play well, kept possession tidily. He has managed to perform well against Palace in the past, too. It wouldn't be the worst game to start him in, to be honest.

I personally prefer Can away from home. I think his swashbuckling nature is much more suited to games away from Anfield.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...stian-10384094

Klopp takes his strongest squad to Russia.

Also Klopp has said that Gerrard can train at Liverpool in the MLS off-season.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's a very strong squad. Unsure whether that will have negative repercussions for the Palace match. We may have to wait and see.

The Gerrard thing massively divides me. I want him back in some capacity eventually, but not as a player. He shouldn't pull on a Reds shirt again, mainly because we've endured the five-month long goodbye of last season and that chapter has been closed.

As a coach, I'd be comfortable with him returning. It would be a Giggs under LVG dynamic, and Klopp is a stronger personality so you'd imagine even if we did endure a bad run, he could weather the storm and fans wouldn't be clamouring for Gerrard to take the hot seat.

If Rodgers was still in charge, they'd pine for him to take over.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.