Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with revision? Join the TSR session every hour!! From 7am-2am. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metapheonix)
    I appreciate this thread but my parents keep cautioning me about staying up late revising (up till around 2/3am) as it's supposedly not good for my health. They consider it as a consequence of not being focused enough during the day.

My quandary is, I like working around that time, it's actually peaceful - unlike during the day I can focus for longer than 20 mins -1hr for each session (it varies with focus/ energy levels).
    Yeah same.. I've stopped staying up till that late now. Infact, I stop at 11pm/12am simply bc I don't think it's helping with my revision and I don't want to be studying for ages to figure out that half of what I'd learnt is essentially lost due to lack of sleep . - Your parents are most likely right, I only realised that after I started getting quite tired during the day, so much so that I couldn't even get myself to do anything. >.<

I entirely agree! - I seem to be able to focus a lot more during late hours too, perhaps it's bc I know that I can go to bed as soon as I've done everything therefore try and do it as efficiently and as fast as possible. Despite the fact there are these slight benefits, I actually don't think the resulting effect is worth it. - I get so incredibly tired and I think it might have a negative impact during exam season therefore I've stopped. Plus, sleep is supposed to be quite important and it may even cause you to burn out. Rather than stay up late at night, why not wake up early in the morning? I find that I'm at my peak then too so it might be worth a try!- Plus, it's such a relaxing time to work. O_O

I also suspect I need to improve on my efficiency - how would I ensure this?
    (often procrastinating and even charting my daily progress can take too long. )
    Any thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated!
    I know what you mean. Hmm.. maybe:

-Switch off your phone + all devices!
    - Take breaks when you need them?
    - Focus on a single task until it's completed, try not to hover around lots of different things bc otherwise you won't be as efficient.( I used to do this a lot)
    - Just try to remember that once you've finished with your particular task you can then do whatever you want for 5/10/whatever minutes without experiencing a feeling of guilt.
    - Set a timer. - It makes me work faster for whatever reason + might help!
    - I would chart the daily progress stuff during revision breaks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Um, I've absolutely no idea.. Well, I don't know what the time difference is between the U.K and Nigeria but you could still follow the timetable when you get back from school etc, even if the rest of us may be having dinner/asleep at the time. - If that makes sense. Bc the thread will still be open and you can still post, we'll just be slightly ahead/behind schedule- that's all! So, for example let's say we're all starting the 4:00pm session, if it's 2:00pm where you live then you can start the 2:30pm session/whatever. Don't know if that makes sense. >.< Basically I don't think it makes a huge difference, you just follow it according to your times bc it'd still work!
    Okay... awesome!
    I have a big issue though. So I just called my history teacher and he just told me that my mock exam is going to be on 20th century history +USA and probably Saddam Hussein (for paper 1)(he said that because he hasn't seen the exam yet ) but for paper 2 its going to be Gulf matters and paper 4 USA. I'm starting to freak out because yeah I understand The cold war because that was my main issue before but now there is more of a load (the exam is on tuesday ) and I have my economics paper 2 exam tomorrow. So i have no clue what to do now, I don't work well under pressure (i start to cry)
    So what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    :work: 12:30pm. :work:
    ~Logging out time!~

C4.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same.. I've stopped staying up till that late now. Infact, I stop at 11pm/12am simply bc I don't think it's helping with my revision and I don't want to be studying for ages to figure out that half of what I'd learnt is essentially lost due to lack of sleep . - Your parents are most likely right, I only realised that after I started getting quite tired during the day, so much so that I couldn't even get myself to do anything. >.<

I've tried to experiment with polyphasic sleeping but so far all I've found is that 6hrs sleep works well but not over and maybe a short nap later on. I hope to try the Uberman schedule though I'm a bit cautious as no solid research has been conducted in this area.

I entirely agree! - I seem to be able to focus a lot more during late hours too, perhaps it's bc I know that I can go to bed as soon as I've done everything therefore try and do it as efficiently and as fast as possible. Despite the fact there are these slight benefits, I actually don't think the resulting effect is worth it. - I get so incredibly tired and I think it might have a negative impact during exam season therefore I've stopped. Plus, sleep is supposed to be quite important and it may even cause you to burn out. Rather than stay up late at night, why not wake up early in the morning? I find that I'm at my peak then too so it might be worth a try!- Plus, it's such a relaxing time to work. O_O

How long do you usually sleep? How much free time do you have in a day?

I know what you mean. Hmm.. maybe:

-Switch off your phone + all devices!
    - Take breaks when you need them?
    - Focus on a single task until it's completed, try not to hover around lots of different things bc otherwise you won't be as efficient.( I used to do this a lot)
    - Just try to remember that once you've finished with your particular task you can then do whatever you want for 5/10/whatever minutes without experiencing a feeling of guilt.
    - Set a timer. - It makes me work faster for whatever reason + might help!
    - I would chart the daily progress stuff during revision breaks!

Thanks! I'll try this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)
    I do M1 this year (I did S1 last year), so I guess it really doesn't help that I don't like vectors XD. I don't do physics so I'm really not liking M1. I'll do a past paper on it today and see how much I don't know. I actually like C3 and C4, even though it can be annoying at times, like weaving trig into pretty much EVERY QUESTION. I miss C1 questions where it just says to rationalise the denominator
    damn im the opposite i did M1 last year and im doing S1 now. its practically suvat, trig and simultaneous equations for resolving forces and newtonian law (the bulk of the marks). Same here, i find C3 the easiest out of the 4, LOL just don't drink and derive, :') the glory days

ReputationRep:
    Same here.
    What A levels are you doing?
    only maths and economics , the other 2 are btecs (keeping up with further pure in my spare time lol) yourself?

ReputationRep:
    When is the next revision slot starting? Is it every hour?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    only maths and economics , the other 2 are btecs (keeping up with further pure in my spare time lol) yourself?
    Sadly, kind of gave up with doing Further maths on my own, no time
    But doing some roughly scientific research - in my breaks.

What uni have you considered?

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, kind of gave up with doing Further maths on my own, no time
    But doing some roughly scientific research - in my breaks.

What uni have you considered?
    Lol revision is life, none specifically as of yet (actually, any collegiate london uni) ,just trying to get way ahead of my class so every lesson i can just review and build on work i've already done.
    Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    Lol revision is life, none specifically as of yet (actually, any collegiate london uni) ,just trying to get way ahead of my class so every lesson i can just review and build on work i've already done.
    Yourself?
    That's good - I read ahead when I can..
    Passive reading doesn't do much for me, but talking/ explaining/ discussing your new studies really helps me learn.

King's College London is good

ReputationRep:
    During the next 2 hours I will learn 4 french paragraphs for my writing assessment.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a good idea ☺️

I'm doing A2 Maths, Further Maths, French and Philosophy (+ resitting AS Philosophy). Somehow I managed to get predicted 4 A*s which is not looking likely at the moment haha. Started revising this weekend and need to keep it up until after my exams. Next hour and a half is a C4 past paper.

Good luck everyone x

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'm doing economics, (exchange rates) and I'm seriously confused, can someone help me out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingfrizzy)
    Right now I'm doing economics, (exchange rates) and I'm seriously confused, can someone help me out?
    use PAJHolden or Econplusdal on youtube for in depth explanations

ReputationRep:
    That sounds exciting, have fun!
    Thank you so much - it was months in the making! It actually went wonderfully, loads of people were taking pictures with me so that was a bit overwhelming!

Now, onto past paper questions and perfecting my History essay (the one that my teacher didn't bother to collect in last lesson). But first... FOOD!

ReputationRep:
    I've finished + written my notes for parametricsss which was actually fun lol bc it didn't turn out to be as difficult as I remembered! I'll continue with more of C4 a bit later.

ReputationRep:
    i finished making flashcards on my whole unit of psychology!

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thank you v much- I'll definitely start tomorrow then + can I just ask if you included the amount of time you spent on your hwk as part of it too or just revision alone?
    Well, I like my stats, so I track hours of homework, revision and past papers as separate things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kholland)
    This sounds like such a good idea! This might sound a little naive but did you set this up in excel with all the 'functions' (I have no idea what they're called) and some fancy graph or did you just roughly guess your percentage?

The way I'm making sure I spend equal time on everything is just by doing a subject per day. I've made a three week rota so that, fingers crossed, each subject gets equal weekday and weekend time.
    I had no idea how to set it up either! I do use the SUM() function which adds up hours automatically, apart from that I leave it, there are really helpful tutorials available for them! I just use the numbers, no graphs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingfrizzy)
    Okay... awesome!
    I have a big issue though. So I just called my history teacher and he just told me that my mock exam is going to be on 20th century history +USA and probably Saddam Hussein (for paper 1)(he said that because he hasn't seen the exam yet ) but for paper 2 its going to be Gulf matters and paper 4 USA. I'm starting to freak out because yeah I understand The cold war because that was my main issue before but now there is more of a load (the exam is on tuesday ) and I have my economics paper 2 exam tomorrow. So i have no clue what to do now, I don't work well under pressure (i start to cry)
    So what do I do?
    :console:

Um, well considering there's not much time left- I'd probably recommend that you fully focus on tomorrow's exam, today. Like, just try your best to get as much as done possible then spend the whole of tomorrow night on the Cold war stuff... - is it a real/proper exam? >.<

Good luck!

I've tried to experiment with polyphasic sleeping but so far all I've found is that 6hrs sleep works well but not over and maybe a short nap later on. I hope to try the Uberman schedule though I'm a bit cautious as no solid research has been conducted in this area.
    Oh I see..I don't know what any of those terms mean so I can't fully relate. :getmecoat: I'll look them up in a little while aha. ^-^

How long do you usually sleep? How much free time do you have in a day?
    Quite recently I've been getting 8-10hrs of sleep but prior to that I was getting anywhere between 1hr and 5hrs a day. It's really annoying though bc in the past I managed to sort it out and was getting the amount I needed but then i'd always fall back into the awful routine again. - Hopefully i'll be able to stick to it this time round though, it feels so much better. What about you?

Thanks! I'll try this.
    Yw! - Sounds good!

(Original post by kholland)
    Thank you so much - it was months in the making! It actually went wonderfully, loads of people were taking pictures with me so that was a bit overwhelming!

Now, onto past paper questions and perfecting my History essay (the one that my teacher didn't bother to collect in last lesson). But first... FOOD!
    Aww, glad you had a great time!!

Good luck!

(Original post by htrowslec)
    Well, I like my stats, so I track hours of homework, revision and past papers as separate things
    Oh alright - Thanks for all the info!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.