Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaj97)
    Why do only O-H and N-H peaks disappear when you add D2O?
    Don't forget -COOH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    what about in standard isolectric point

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At isoelectric point it exists as zwitterion with NO OVERALL CHARGE (in definition) hence its only COO- and NH3+ and the R group is NOT affected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magicalgeofray)
    D2O Undergoes Proton exchange with the Hydrogen atoms (protons). D atoms have an even number of nucleons so are undetected in the NMR spectra and results in no O-H or N-H peaks
    Why does this only happen with O-H and N-H peaks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalistaJupiter)
    They don't all protonate… I did a past paper that had a 'zwitterion' with an extra cooh side group and the mark scheme said "reject if both cooh groups are shown to have donated a proton" because only groups directly involved in being an amino acid (eg RCH(NH2)COOH) actually protonate
    yes BUT if its then in acidic conditions or pH below isoelectric point, the ALL NH2s become NH3+ COOH stay COOH

pH above IP, all COOH beccome COO- and NH2 stay NH2

ReputationRep:
    -OH, -NH and -COOH protons are labile and easily interchange with D2O protons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rust Cohle)
    Ooops, number 4 was typo; should be suggest why organic product in q3 cannot be hydrolyses.
    1, 2 and 3 three correct.
    still think its cos theres no amide/peptide/ester linkage hence cannot hydrolyse? :/

ReputationRep:
    It can to COOH and S-H as well and the reason is because their protons are easily exchangeable/'labile'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    the isolectric point is when it exists as a zwitterion, not below the isoelectric point
    yep i know :s what did i say that was wrong?

ReputationRep:
    But carboxylic acid can still go through reduction if added 2[H] e.g. Ethanoic acid to Ethanol

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has ran out of Past papers i would recommend AQA Unit 4 papers from about half way onwards is very similar to our spec, however the questions deal with concepts our spec has not covered, yet we can apply our knowledge to questions such as reaction mechanisms, personally these were great for practicing those kinda awkward application based questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakuraton)
    But carboxylic acid can still go through reduction if added 2[H] e.g. Methanoic acid to Methanol
    because methanol is effectively an aldehyde

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magicalgeofray)
    Attachment 549315Attachment 549307 This is what the mark scheme says on Zwitter ions for this question i was confused too so emailed my teacher, and this was her reply but I am still confused:
    [/font][/font][/font][/font]
    For zwitterions, its only the NH2 and COOH in the general formula that are affected - NH3+ and COO- respectively, giving no overall charge

Break at the peptide linkage

ReputationRep:
    Whoops wrong example, ethanoic acid to ethanol

ReputationRep:
    Need to practise my spelling

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwitterion
    In chemistry, a zwitterion is a neutral molecule with both a positive and a negative electrical charge. Multiple positive and negative charges can be present. Zwitterions are distinct from dipoles, at different locations within that molecule.

if there is a molecule with n amines and n carboxyls, wouldn't it be all protonated as long as the charge stays netural? (n-n=0)

ReputationRep:
    Whoops wrong example, ethanoic acid to ethanol
    I even meant to say methanioic acid is an aldehyde not methanol

And I don't think that reaction is possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwitterion
    In chemistry, a zwitterion is a neutral molecule with both a positive and a negative electrical charge. Multiple positive and negative charges can be present. Zwitterions are distinct from dipoles, at different locations within that molecule.

if there is a molecule with n amines and n carboxyls, wouldn't it be all protonated as long as the charge stays netural? (n-n=0)
    Nope nope nope in zwitterions it ist JUST the NH2 and COOH in the general formula that are affected, forget about the R group completely - if my understanding/method is correct.

But if its put in acid/alkaline respectively, all COOH/NH3 react accordingly if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    I even meant to say methanioic acid is an aldehyde not methanol

And I don't think that reaction is possible
    Then can you explain this:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79471-q...d-analysis.pdf

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61007-m...is-january.pdf

January 2012, Question 3)b) Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a copy of 2015 papers for F324??

ReputationRep:
    Then can you explain this:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79471-q...d-analysis.pdf

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61007-m...is-january.pdf

January 2012, Question 3)b) Thank you!
    I thought it wasn't possible too until I saw this o.o

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.