Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    didnt finish the paper, it is too tight
    managed to finish both essays though the 40 marker was decent- i interpreted it as the actual reforms eg house of lords act, HRA, freedom of info act etc need futher reforms but some people saying its about codifying the constitution?? im sure they will credit both though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    I feel like that question was really misleading in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was horribly worded, I took it as statutes that could be passed but thinking about it, it could be codification vs not codifying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhan19)
    Then what were you supposed to write about ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3 ways in which they are effective. passage said they are elected which means they can't be whipped etc. that's what I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    I feel like that question was really misleading in general.
    Hey, we haven't seen the mark scheme yet. For all we know, we actually answered it correctly.

ReputationRep:
    These are SUBJECTIVE subjects, i.e. can be interpreted in different ways. I think you'll be fine molly

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please respond. I need to know how bad I have messed up or not haha. I only did the Commons side with no Lords for the 25 mark Parliament question. What mark am I limited to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the exact (or even rough) wording of question 2/c/ (Prime Minister and Cabinet, 25 marker)? I came out of the exam and forgot literally everything about that question.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, for the 40 marker judiciary I just wrote about why judges are best guardian for civil liberties & rights and why they are not. I didnt really write much about parliament. Is that alright?

ReputationRep:
    Im confused now
    I talked about the lords , AV , devolution and codification ? So its that right or wrong :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Korak)
    Does anyone know the exact (or even rough) wording of question 2/c/ (Prime Minister and Cabinet, 25 marker)? I came out of the exam and forgot literally everything about that question.
    I think it was to what extent are PMs free from political constraint, something like that.

I totally ignored the source and just wrote my own answers Does anybody know how many marks this would lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Geedorah)
    Can someone please respond. I need to know how bad I have messed up or not haha. I only did the Commons side with no Lords for the 25 mark Parliament question. What mark am I limited to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know how many marks you would have lost but I reckon its quite a few as they specifically said parliament in the question which means you were supposed to talk about both the commons and the lords.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babs Posh)
    I think it was to what extent are PMs free from political constraint, something like that.

I totally ignored the source and just wrote my own answers Does anybody know how many marks this would lose?
    You never know your answers may have been in the source without you knowing because the source is quite general. What did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how many marks you would have lost but I reckon its quite a few as they specifically said parliament in the question which means you were supposed to talk about both the commons and the lords.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh God, Thank you for responding. Do you reckon 12 would be achievable? Need that at the very least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did the PM and and constitution.
    For constitution 40MQ I wrote about:
    - Codification
    - HoL reform
    - Human Rights
    - Increased use of referendums to propose reform

I was overall quite happy thought it was a much nice paper than unit 1!!

ReputationRep:
    For everyone worrying about the codified/uncodified don't worry it is correct, how I think there were many other things that need to be included rather than focusing the whole argument on codification. Such as the Unelected bodies within the politics process, parliaments sovereignty, clearer details of the executive's power, protection of civil rights and liberties. However it allows for pragmatism/flexibility and it's stood the test of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babs Posh)

Thank you!

I didn't refer back to the source at all, either. As far as I know you don't have to refer back to it at all in a 25-marker, only in the 5 and 10-markers.

Remembered the exact wording: "To what extent is the Prime Minister free from effective political constraints?".

ReputationRep:
    You have to use the source but I'm sure you'll get perhaps 7/8 marks for your answer.

I used both knowledge and source and said:

-Deputy PM is more than a 'de facto' deputy and there is a dual power base on choosing ministers and decisions.
    - Mixed political ideologies meant that Cameron effectively gave out free votes on bills, e.g on gay marriage.
    - Coalition meant that patronage powers were shared and the PM could not dominate-return to cabinet government in some ways in terms of consultation.

ReputationRep:
    How could devolution be used in the 40 marker for constitution?

ReputationRep:
    You never know your answers may have been in the source without you knowing because the source is quite general. What did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope so, I was so rushed for time I completely forgot to look at them! How stupid

I did the PM and Cabinet question, for the 10 marker about the Coalition I wrote about the emphasis on compromise and consensus politics, and Cameron's limited power on who to have in Cabinet etc. I can't remember what I wrote for the 5 marker, I'm pretty sure it was wrong though because I didn't understand it Oh well

ReputationRep:
    I talked about constituency reduction for constitution 40 mark, is this correct?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.