University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how the 'Tripos' is graded? (I'm studying Land Economy personally)

I was told that the third year is the only part that counts toward the overall grade, and you just need to pass the first year to get onto the second year, and pass the second year to get onto the third year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccfctom)
    Does anyone know how the 'Tripos' is graded? (I'm studying Land Economy personally)

I was told that the third year is the only part that counts toward the overall grade, and you just need to pass the first year to get onto the second year, and pass the second year to get onto the third year.
    Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post67453604

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Is your surname Data?
    Oh! No sorry, try again XD Clue to one of the letters is in my TSR name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Oh! No sorry, try again XD Clue to one of the letters is in my TSR name
    Bonjour, M. Picard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Bonjour, M. Picard
    Correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Correct!
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody doing Computer Science? What GCSEs and A-levels did you get? What extra-curricular activities did you do to show your interest in the subject?I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge for Computer Science. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrman2000)
    Is anybody doing Computer Science? What GCSEs and A-levels did you get? What extra-curricular activities did you do to show your interest in the subject?I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge for Computer Science. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Yes, I’ll be doing CompSci! I will also be away for the next few days but I’d be happy to talk to you about it after that. Someone else will, no doubt, fill you in on stuff well before then though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccfctom)

Essentially, each year is graded separately, and it is common to use your Part II (third year) mark on CVs etc as your final classification. So theoretically you could scrape a pass in first and second year and then pull it together and do brilliantly in third year, but this isn't a great idea.

Firstly, colleges can and do kick people out if they significantly underperform - either failing Tripos or scraping through when there's evidence they haven't been working adequately. Secondly, if you've coasted for two years, you're not going to have the background knowledge or study skills to suddenly pull a first out of the bag in 3rd year. Finally, if you want any internships they'll want your 1st/2nd year grades, and likewise applying for many graduate jobs you need to be predicted at least a 2:1 which isn't going to happen if you've irritated your supervisors by pissing about for two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrman2000)
    Yes. 9.5 A*'s, 1A at GCSE; 4 A's at AS, 3 A*'s at A2 in Maths, Further Maths, Physics (and Chemistry dropped). On my personal statement I wrote about a few programming projects, some freelance programming I'd done, my StackOverflow account, and some books I'd read. Some programming things I think are worth doing are Project Euler, the British Informatics Olympiad, and the National Cipher Challenge. If you have any questions feel free to p.m. me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    ....??? seriously who cares
    I care alot about this kind of stuff.
    Care bear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am NST physical fresher, I am worried about starting and wandered if anyone else was having the same doubts I was. I feel I won't cope with the workload and the difficulty of the work and feel I got in by some sought of fluke and don't really deserve a place. I don't want to let my friends and family down . Any current students who can comment on the workload would be much appreciated?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nemo35)
    Hi there, I am NST physical fresher, I am worried about starting and wandered if anyone else was having the same doubts I was. I feel I won't cope with the workload and the difficulty of the work and feel I got in by some sought of fluke and don't really deserve a place. I don't want to let my friends and family down . Any current students who can comment on the workload would be much appreciated?? Thanks
    Not gonna lie, the first term wasn't nice. But once you get used to the workload you'll be fine, just try to remind yourself every now and then why you're studying what you are. And have some fun too, working all the time isn't healthy.

IA is as bad as it gets, most people's workload decreases in the second and third years (and the work gets more interesting).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Not gonna lie, the first term wasn't nice. But once you get used to the workload you'll be fine, just try to remind yourself every now and then why you're studying what you are. And have some fun too, working all the time isn't healthy.

IA is as bad as it gets, most people's workload decreases in the second and third years (and the work gets more interesting).
    What if doing maths is my downtime.
    Am i destined for senior wranglership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nemo35)
    Another customer with marriage blue.

Don't worry. You're not alone. It's a big move you're making and it's very natural and even healthy you feel like that. I'd be more worried about people who're not feeling any anxiety at all as the big day is just around the corner.

As alow has said, it will not be a plain sailing and you may have a few what-have-I-done moments, but that's something almost everyone feel sometimes ........and overcome. Cambridge has one of the lowest drop-out rate among uk universities, and IF you really struggle and find it difficult to cope, that's where their collegiate system becomes really beneficial. You have your DoS and tutor who are there to listen to you and support you.
    And you're quite likely to have friends around you who are in the same position and understand you and can support each other.

And stop worrying about 'letting down' whoever. It's your life. You chose Cambridge for yourself, nobody else. I can guarantee after 3/4 yrs on the day of graduation, you'll be really glad and proud that you were at Cambridge and survived. I know tens of Cambridge students and I don't know anyone who didn't feel so, even though some of them had a few up-and-downs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If maths is your downtime, what is cricket for you?
    Obligation? Struggle? Chore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)

PRSOM

Spoiler:
    Show
    Though is it true about the workload in later years in ?
    Isn't it just because you get better in time-management as the time passes?
    Number of lectures and/or other contact time may decrease but everybody i know was working as hard and for long hours in later years, too. Often even harder..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    TBF the booklet of maths courses does suggest you should do the optional history of maths and theoretical physics courses as a nice relaxing break from the other maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    She still didn't marry anyone with 'Graham' as a surname :sad:
    Either because she didn't know about the scheme or didn't need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    PRSOM

Spoiler:
    Show
    Though is it true about the workload in later years in ?
    Isn't it just because you get better in time-management as the time passes?
    Number of lectures and/or other contact time may decrease but everybody i know was working as hard and for long hours in later years, too. Often even harder..
    I found first year natsci really hard in terms of workload, but from it I learnt how to cope best with the Cam workload. What I learnt from IA made me wish that I could go back and do first year again a lot better!

2nd year I then found managable. I had time to learn all the course content thoroughly and do plenty of past papers before the exams, as well as fitting in all the extracurriculars I wanted. Having fewer labs helped, as that freed up more afternoons to do work. I did chemeng this year and the amount of content was less than 1st year natsci, and also the content fitted together more than the masses of different stuff we had to learn in first year. Starting chemeng from scratch in 2nd year meant that the content wasn't harder than 1st year either. I expect 3rd year will be harder now we've learnt the basics of chemeng!

So for me it was a mixture of time management imroving, there being a slightly smaller workload, and me being more interested in the course. I think I put in as much effort as first year but knew what I was doing!

By the time in first year where I'd gathered how I beeded to work, it was too late to implement it as I had so much material from earlier on in the year that I hadn't learnt! I genuinely think that I would still find the 1st year natsci workload hard (as in I didn't get time to do most things until the day before they were due) if I tried it again.

From my friends who stayed on natsci for 2nd year, I think they appreciate not having to do subjects that they didn't overly enjoy in IA. They do seem to work as hard as first year, just have better work skills, as you said. And already having developed a mental framework with which to think about the subject at uni level helps, too. Often things in later years build on 1st year topics rather than being entirely new.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.