Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    In primary there's very little daily supply work at the end of the summer term as it's mostly sports days/trips/assembly planning etc and things that they don't really need a teacher who doesn't know the school to do. Secondary will be similar because they will be able to use their existing teaching team to cover for lower school supply as a lot of teachers will have a lot of gaps on their timetable.

It also takes quite a while for all of your references/paperwork to be processed so by the time everything had been processed it'd be mid July and then you'd only really have 2 weeks left until the end of term. Some agencies are really picky about CRBs and want you to have one from their agency because some schools will only take supply teachers who have a CRB from the agency they use. Your CRB technically is portable, but some schools want a specific one.

I also think it'd be a bit weird having someone who is secondary trained and only an NQT as a primary supply teacher - think about the logistics of it, in many cases on supply you are left to your own devises with shoddy planning/can't find the planning and you have to think of appropriate things to do with the class for the day. I did supply at the start of my NQT year as I didn't get a job until after Christmas and it's really tough as an NQT as the school will just leave you to get on with it and there's no one to ask for help. You basically turn up, get taken to the classroom and if you're lucky there will be some planning or a note from the class teacher. I had other situations where there wasn't any planning to be seen and no one else seemed to know so it was a case of "make it up for the day" - if you've not trained as a primary teacher do you really think that you'd be able to do come up with things to do for numeracy and literacy off the top of your head which were related to what the children were currently learning? I always used/adapted things that I had taught my PGCE classes at that point as I always took resources to school with me. If you've only trained in a secondary environment you'd come unstuck when presented with a class of Y1 children and no lesson plans because you wouldn't have anything appropriate. It's the same as if I did supply for a Y10 English class, for example, I wouldn't have a clue what level they're working at or what would be appropriate to do with them because my only experience of a Y10 English class is from when I was a Y10 student.

I'd say you'd be better looking for work in summer schools/summer camps/stuff with international kids who recruit teachers to work full time over the summer.
    Thanks - this is a really helpful post. I'd definitely be at sea if I had to cover a primary class, particularly if it was KS1!

I will definitely look into summer schools, that's a fab idea

ReputationRep:
    This might not be the best place to post this- but I couldn't think of anywhere else really! I'm starting work experience tomorrow at a local school and will be in a split year 1/2 class- some advice generally! I've just finished my As year so I thought I gain some experience before applying for a BA Primary Teaching Degree Also sounds silly but I'm really worried none of the staff will talk to me in the staff room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harriet : ))
    This might not be the best place to post this- but I couldn't think of anywhere else really! I'm starting work experience tomorrow at a local school and will be in a split year 1/2 class- some advice generally! I've just finished my As year so I thought I gain some experience before applying for a BA Primary Teaching Degree Also sounds silly but I'm really worried none of the staff will talk to me in the staff room
    Firstly, well done for being organised and for planning ahead. You'll not be expected to do anything on your own initiative, so don't worry about that. Just follow instructions and smile a lot! Most primary staff rooms are very small, so I'd hope they'd see you were there and not ignore you! You will presumably have a contact on the staff who's organised your placement, and it should be their role to look after you a bit. That said, people are sometimes weirder than they should be, so be a bit proactive. Offer to make the coffee/sharpen the pencils/some other mundane task and make yourself useful. Most people will appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Firstly, well done for being organised and for planning ahead. You'll not be expected to do anything on your own initiative, so don't worry about that. Just follow instructions and smile a lot! Most primary staff rooms are very small, so I'd hope they'd see you were there and not ignore you! You will presumably have a contact on the staff who's organised your placement, and it should be their role to look after you a bit. That said, people are sometimes weirder than they should be, so be a bit proactive. Offer to make the coffee/sharpen the pencils/some other mundane task and make yourself useful. Most people will appreciate that.
    Thanks I do have a "student mentor" who I've organised my placement with and will hopefully take me under her wing so to speak! I'm rather excited for it if a little nervous- thanks for the reassurance!

ReputationRep:
    I am meeting my new form on Wednesday, and meeting all of the parents too - this seems quite silly, but I have NO idea what to wear! Normal teacher stuff or proper formal skirt suit?

I was planning on wearing a nice blouse and some black trousers but now I think about it, all the other teachers there might be in suits and I'd feel like a prat! Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    I am meeting my new form on Wednesday, and meeting all of the parents too - this seems quite silly, but I have NO idea what to wear! Normal teacher stuff or proper formal skirt suit?

I was planning on wearing a nice blouse and some black trousers but now I think about it, all the other teachers there might be in suits and I'd feel like a prat! Help!
    Good rule for work dressing - dress for the job one level above the one you have. Also, as NQT, you'll be the new kid on the block and you'll certainly be feeling it, so give the impression of gravitas to the parents, regardless of what's going on inside, by dressing to look the part. As long as you don't look like you're wearing your mother's clothes. That just reinforces your youth. Remember, the parents need to believe you're capable of looking after their little precious, so dress to impress. Most teachers in the schools I've worked in dress up for parents' evenings. It's a respect/status thing.

ReputationRep:
    Good rule for work dressing - dress for the job one level above the one you have. Also, as NQT, you'll be the new kid on the block and you'll certainly be feeling it, so give the impression of gravitas to the parents, regardless of what's going on inside, by dressing to look the part. As long as you don't look like you're wearing your mother's clothes. That just reinforces your youth. Remember, the parents need to believe you're capable of looking after their little precious, so dress to impress. Most teachers in the schools I've worked in dress up for parents' evenings. It's a respect/status thing.

Thanks for the advice!

I might go and buy a 'light' blazer like this to ensure I feel smart : http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...ents=category~[270997|229998]&noOfRefinements=1

Or would that be too informal...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Thanks for the advice!

I might go and buy a 'light' blazer like this to ensure I feel smart : http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp...ents=category~[270997|229998]&noOfRefinements=1

Or would that be too informal...?
    No, I think that'd be fine, as long as you don't wear it with the jeans shown in the picture! A jacket is always a good investment. When you're old, like me, you can get away with all sorts under the guise of 'eccentric and wacky old lady', but when you're young, you have to help yourself to project authority with a few props.

ReputationRep:
    When you're old, like me, you can get away with all sorts under the guise of 'eccentric and wacky old lady', but when you're young, you have to help yourself to project authority with a few props.
    This sounds amazing, reminds me of that poem, Warning, When I am old I shall wear purple! Something to look forward to when I'm working until I'm 80!

Love that blazer! I've invested in a few blazers for jazzing up outfits although as I am early years we tend to get away with much brighter clothes and more eccentric dress sense. (Not that I do, but my sister says I am obsessed with floral patterns ...) I'm going in again on Wednesday too, looking forward to it! I feel like I have some high expectations to live up to and I have my first inset booked..phonics. Good luck meeting your lovely new form Suzanathema!

Found out my new class next year is a 33 strong mixed Year 4/5.
      Massive difference to my 26 year 4s that I currently have.

All that extra marking!!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by balloon_parade)
      This sounds amazing, reminds me of that poem, Warning, When I am old I shall wear purple! Something to look forward to when I'm working until I'm 80!

Love that blazer! I've invested in a few blazers for jazzing up outfits although as I am early years we tend to get away with much brighter clothes and more eccentric dress sense. (Not that I do, but my sister says I am obsessed with floral patterns ...) I'm going in again on Wednesday too, looking forward to it! I feel like I have some high expectations to live up to and I have my first inset booked..phonics. Good luck meeting your lovely new form Suzanathema!
      I do love that poem!

I was thinking of wearing a floral blouse actually

I still think it'd look more formal with the blazer though! Meeting a load of Y6s + parents is going to be weird though, I think I'll have a lot to live up to with primary teachers being 'there' for the children (and parents) all year round!

Good luck with your inset

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by balloon_parade)

That poem has always been my inspiration, that's for sure. I think you'll not be wanting to work until 80, however funky you are, although the pension changes might force you, I suspect. Kids like you to make the effort. They notice every little thing about you - let's face it, they are made to look at you the whole time - and they like something unusual to break up the monotony! You can do bright and eccentric in secondary school (I certainly do) but it's probably easier if you quell those urges until you're a familiar face around the place and have established yourself as someone not to mess with.

ReputationRep:
      Eek, in less than 2 hours I'll be at my new school meeting my new year 7 tutees and their parents... needless to say I'm terrified! But mainly because I haven't got anyone meeting me when I get there so I'm going to have to find somebody. How pathetic!

(would almoat rather be going to another interview!)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by noodles!)
      Eek, in less than 2 hours I'll be at my new school meeting my new year 7 tutees and their parents... needless to say I'm terrified! But mainly because I haven't got anyone meeting me when I get there so I'm going to have to find somebody. How pathetic!

(would almoat rather be going to another interview!)
      Having just come away from our similar event, where I was just a body making up numbers, as I don't actually have any contact with year 7 at all, I think I can safely say that most of the parents are at least as nervous as you are about making the right impression. Just smile a lot and look as if you like kids!

ReputationRep:
      Phew... I did go to my sister's two years ago and her tutor wasn't there, which is why I knew I wanted to go to this. Plus I'm in quite a nice hotel so not all bad!

I've opted for my suit but with a smart but not formal top (that I wear to school anyway) underneath, so I can carry my jacket and decide what's most appropriate when I get there... so confusing!

ReputationRep:
      I'm in a state of shock!

I began applying for teaching jobs on Monday, after deciding that maybe I would like to do that for living - for the next year at least.

I've just had an email to say I've been shortlisted for a job. They want me to come in on Friday and again next week for the interview and to teach a class.
      I don't know what to do now lol.

For one thing, Friday is my final day at my placement school and it will cost me £40+ to get home. I don't know what to do. Obviously, I would be awful to turn down the offer of an interview, but I don't feel prepared or anything. I don't even have a portfolio thing to take with me or anything suitable to wear. Eck!

(Original post by affinity89)
        I'm in a state of shock!

I began applying for teaching jobs on Monday, after deciding that maybe I would like to do that for living - for the next year at least.

I've just had an email to say I've been shortlisted for a job. They want me to come in on Friday and again next week for the interview and to teach a class.

For one thing, Friday is my final day at my placement school and it will cost me £40+ to get home. I don't know what to do. Obviously, I would be awful to turn down the offer of an interview, but I don't feel prepared or anything. I don't even have a portfolio thing to take with me or anything suitable to wear. Eck!
        You've got a few day or so to prepare, take the chances as they come.
        Not every school wants to see a portfolio either. If they do, you still have time to pull one together!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by affinity89)
        I'm in a state of shock!

Congrats on getting the interview! So is Friday just a visit? Either way you have loads of time prepare so don't worry! I had one interview on two days' notice! To be honest I find it much better to have less time- less worry and still enough time to sort things out.

Also the school should pay for your expenses, just ask them.

ReputationRep:
        I ended up having a decent time at the year 7 evening thing! The staff were incredibly nice, including the most senior ones, so no alarm bells ringing yet! The kids I've met so far seem nice enough, there's one boy who I think will give me grief in terms of every member of staff reporting him to me for (low level) disruption, but otherwise they seem like normal kids. There's another NQT with a year 7 form too so that's good.

Only bad thing was that it really hammered home the fact that I really do have to be a teacher there, I have a name code/initials and everything!

ReputationRep:
        affinity, grats on being shortlisted! I say go for it - you never know!

The same thing happened to me in that I was shortlisted for an interview on my final teaching day. I had to push all my "goodbye" things to my classes a day forward - it was annoying because I'd planned to do it on the normal day but it wasn't really that much hassle, and the students didn't really know any different.

My Year 7 transition day was awesome - I genuinely do have the best form group in the year! they're so sweet. Meeting parents was a bit scary, I had only met their children that day and was desperately trying to remember when they told me names, which children they were talking about. I do hope I remember!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.