Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Tech Society 3.0 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Addicted to Reddit. I made an account, the addiction is official now. :ninja:

This might be of particular interest to you: Hypegram.
    It soon fades...

At least it did for me. The smaller tech related sub-reddits are good, but I can't stand the front page stuff these days (I despise /r/athiesm and /r/f7u12 so much I had to filter them out) and the whole circlejerky nature of it.

Oh, and the puns. ****.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from having my impressions taken, was very weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Addicted to Reddit. I made an account, the addiction is official now. :ninja:

(Original post by RipperRoo)
    It soon fades...

At least it did for me. The smaller tech related sub-reddits are good, but I can't stand the front page stuff these days (I despise /r/athiesm and /r/f7u12 so much I had to filter them out) and the whole circlejerky nature of it.

Oh, and the puns. ****.
    I made an account the day I discovered reddit to delete most of the default subs, reddit becomes an even more addictive website without the crap you get in r/atheism and r/poltics, amongst others.

ReputationRep:
    I love redditch for r/doctorwho and r/Sheffield

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

reddit ffs :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    reddit ffs :adore:
    I had never really read ELI5 before, literally spent 4 hours today sitting reading through interesting discussions while browsing the top of all time list :sigh:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    My iPod parts arrive, I disassemble it and reassemble it supposedly without issues, I feel all chuffed with myself. Now it won't turn on and the opening tools I bought are now too blunt to reopen a brand new stiff front panel. Fuuuuuuuuuu

ReputationRep:
    What the **** kind of retarded Frenchists create a server on Battlefield 3 that has vehicles, but forbids you from using Anti-tank weapons like RPGs?!

Christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    What the **** kind of retarded Frenchists create a server on Battlefield 3 that has vehicles, but forbids you from using Anti-tank weapons like RPGs?!

Christ.
    Oh god don't mention rented servers....
    it's ruined my bf3 experience on consoles.. It's impossible to find a decent server most of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny_uk)
    Oh god don't mention rented servers....
    it's ruined my bf3 experience on consoles.. It's impossible to find a decent server most of the time
    I play on PC, so I'm used to it. I got banned from a server the other day because I killed an admin. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I play on PC, so I'm used to it. I got banned from a server the other day because I killed an admin. :lolwut:
    Yeah I've been hearing a few stories like that. one of the reasons I didn't like the idea of them coming to consoles (Although there are a few pluses to it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    My iPod parts arrive, I disassemble it and reassemble it supposedly without issues, I feel all chuffed with myself. Now it won't turn on and the opening tools I bought are now too blunt to reopen a brand new stiff front panel. Fuuuuuuuuuu
    Any luck yet? How are the new IEMs?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Any luck yet? How are the new IEMs?
    Got it back open (Found a thin enough screwdriver to work in, at the cost of a few scratches), turns out I've broken the ribbon cable connector on the logic board that goes to the battery, so it's pretty much ****ed. I was so careful all the way through as well :| luckily my parents decided to refuse my half of the money for the IEMs (Initially we'd agreed to halve the cost considering how expensive they are, so that was a nice surprise!), so when my student loan comes in next monday I'll be able to afford a new player. Just have to decide which, trying to find out which ones play best with BA drivers :holmes:

I don't have them yet, it's a ten-day process so they should arrive late next week, but after that I'm not allowed them until my birthday in the first week of may :ashamed2: plus my FiiO arrived yesterday, I even had to sign for it then hand it off to my parents. talk about first world problems =P

ReputationRep:
    serious LOL

I think I tore the ribbon for the proximity sensor on my iphone (that switches off the display during calls) so now I keep muting calls or putting them on speaker phone. :ahee:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    serious LOL

I think I tore the ribbon for the proximity sensor on my iphone (that switches off the display during calls) so now I keep muting calls or putting them on speaker phone. :ahee:
    Haha ouch =P

How are the Fostex's treating you? Once I get this PMP situation sorted and pay for a holiday my desktop setup is the next proverbial drain I'll be pouring my money down.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good. I got the cheap berhringer (sp?) USB DAC. Got loads more buzzing and the sound quality was significantly inferior to this 8 year old E-MU 0404 sound card (which is still apparently highly rated). I still do get some slight buzzing, but it's not nearly as bad as that USB DAC. I suppose the next attempt at buzzless speakers will be an optical DAC? My motherboard does have an optical output.

As for the speakers, I like them. The volume I have them at for most of the time is fine. They do break up a little sooner than I'd like though. I may look at getting a subwoofer at some point in the future, more so I can take a little strain off the monitors. This is more for films and games, and maybe only a couple of songs. Most of my music doesn't require that much low-end. I just want it a little punchier and tighter.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Pretty good. I got the cheap berhringer (sp?) USB DAC. Got loads more buzzing and the sound quality was significantly inferior to this 8 year old E-MU 0404 sound card (which is still apparently highly rated). I still do get some slight buzzing, but it's not nearly as bad as that USB DAC. I suppose the next attempt at buzzless speakers will be an optical DAC? My motherboard does have an optical output.

As for the speakers, I like them. The volume I have them at for most of the time is fine. They do break up a little sooner than I'd like though. I may look at getting a subwoofer at some point in the future, more so I can take a little strain off the monitors. This is more for films and games, and maybe only a couple of songs. Most of my music doesn't require that much low-end. I just want it a little punchier and tighter.
    Sucks to hear about the DAC :\ it'll be interesting to see how much difference the E17 makes to my listening, I expect I'll be a very happy boy when I listen to it and my customs together for the first time :ahee: by breaking up are you referring to distortion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Sucks to hear about the DAC :\ it'll be interesting to see how much difference the E17 makes to my listening, I expect I'll be a very happy boy when I listen to it and my customs together for the first time :ahee: by breaking up are you referring to distortion?
    Yeah. But at my usual listening volume sitting at the computer it's fine and doesn't really distort. However, if I leave the room and try to turn it up louder, it's distorting. I know I'm asking them do something they're not designed to do in this case, so not too bothered. They're absolutely fine for 90% of what I want them to do.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yeah. But at my usual listening volume sitting at the computer it's fine and doesn't really distort. However, if I leave the room and try to turn it up louder, it's distorting. I know I'm asking them do something they're not designed to do in this case, so not too bothered. They're absolutely fine for 90% of what I want them to do.
    Haha not the speakers for me then, I tend to push mine loud when I'm going for desktop listening =P Me and my dad are going to our local high end audio store sometime this week so I'm looking forward to playing with all manner of shiny toys.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered my new player, good god it's pretty;

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.