The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone one here seen much of Classic Who? I'm quite the fan (particularly of the Second Doctor), even got a modest-ish collection going, and it alarmed me to see some fans genuinely confused when classic Doctors showed up in the finale. As if they thought the show was just turning eight and a half in November. Sounds unbelievable, but they're out there.
Original post by DoctorSchmosby
Anyone one here seen much of Classic Who? I'm quite the fan (particularly of the Second Doctor), even got a modest-ish collection going, and it alarmed me to see some fans genuinely confused when classic Doctors showed up in the finale. As if they thought the show was just turning eight and a half in November. Sounds unbelievable, but they're out there.

Me! I grew up watching Classic Who on UKTV Gold.

I love it when references to it turn up in the show :biggrin: even small things... In that last episode when Vastra was using that device (don't know what it was called) to see where the GI was in his timeline, she said "now he's dying in Androzani..." Even that made me smile :biggrin:

I went in the cupboard and got out some of my classic dvds, decided to watch Mind Robber.

Apart from the slow pace and awful special effects its a good story and some parts like a companion losing its face and the Tardis exploding are quite creepy.
I loved the final episode, but the ending reveal was a huge anti-climax.

The build up was beautiful, and the 'reveal' part made no sense to me.

If anyone wishes to aware me on this, i would be grateful misc.
Reply 1424

I think I've only seen about an episode or two of Classic Who, which I believe was Tom Baker, and the Jagaroth I think.

Even though I haven't seen it, I do kind of know what happens in quite a lot of the episodes as when I was younger, while my favourite Doctor (David Tennant of course) was still playing the part, I went on the Doctor Who wikipedia and read up on most of the old episodes.

I think I did watch an episode with Tom Baker and Lis Sladen, and to be honest I wasn't that fond of it. Lis didn't seem to be a very good actress. I loved Tom, but the story didn't really make sense and obviously the sets weren't that good.

But that's just me. In all honesty, I prefer reading about things that watching them as if there are any things that confuse me, I can just click further onto the wiki to read up on the character or what has happened.
I really want to watch all the old episodes, but I can't afford to buy them all on DVD. I wish they'd show them on TV, I'm sure there'd be a big enough audience to make it worthwhile!
The best Doctor (Pertwee) in my favourite classic Who episode...

Absolute favourite as a child.

Original post by Feefifofum
I really want to watch all the old episodes, but I can't afford to buy them all on DVD. I wish they'd show them on TV, I'm sure there'd be a big enough audience to make it worthwhile!

I saw some (only a few) on Virgin TV on demand around Christmas. Watched a couple and enjoyed them. :yep:
Reply 1428
Rewatched some series 2 tonight, The Girl in The Fireplace and Tooth and Claw. So good, man I miss Doctor Who being like that! Moffat's older stories are so much better it's crazy haha.

Love noticing unresolved things that eventually work themselves out too (Something Moffat's lost the ability to do), which is they still don't know why they went after Reinette and then when in the very last shot of the whole episode you see that the ship was called the SS Madame De Pompadour, something previously unmentioned. Love stuff like that!

It's easy to get some older DW, just try and get any cheapish DVD's you can. Obviously Paul McGann's only got the one story! Then from each Doctor/era there's a couple of really good stories. 'The Beginning' boxset containing the first three stories ever is a good one for the 1st Doctor as is Dalek Invasion of Earth, then Invasion/Tomb of The Cybermen for the 2nd etc, love those so much!

Original post by An Ignorant Duck
So, months and months of dull Saturday nights ahead of us :frown:

Yeah cos Moffat can't handle doing Doctor Who and Sherlock, and that's not even Doctor Who in its proper format. :rolleyes:

Series 8 should be finishing in 2015 at this rate. Two ****ing years.
(edited 10 years ago)
In case someone missed this:

Oh Strax - everyones' favourite potato.

:cute:
Original post by Kagutsuchi
In case someone missed this:

Oh Strax - everyones' favourite potato.

:cute:

Awww thanks I hadnt seen that. Strax is hilair :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MENDACIUM
I loved the final episode, but the ending reveal was a huge anti-climax.

The build up was beautiful, and the 'reveal' part made no sense to me.

If anyone wishes to aware me on this, i would be grateful misc.

John Hurt is a past version of the Doctor. Speculation is still about as to what he actually did, but I think it has almost been confirmed he was the Doctor during the time war, which makes him the true 9th Doctor and Matt the 12th.

What the Doctor's big secret is is still up for grabs - whether it's just the fact that he regenerated or the atrocities he did or whatever else it may be is still up for question.

Original post by Sherlockedd
Awww thanks I hadnt seen that. Strax is hilair :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite agree. :cute:

It's sad to know he dies though... :frown: Assuming his death/the battle was a fixed point in time, of course.
Original post by pinkpenguin
The best Doctor (Pertwee) in my favourite classic Who episode...

Absolute favourite as a child.

It sounded a bit like the dalek was singing at the end of that clip :rofl:

"Ay ay ayyayyyayyyayy ayyyy......."

Brilliant clip from a brilliant episode!

Another funny clip :biggrin::

Found this blog post and it puts perfectly into words how I feel about seasons 5 - 7 of Doctor Who. Almost feel like crying now :/
http://stfu-moffat.tumblr.com/post/30991164205/how-moffat-ruined-doctor-who-for-my-little-sister
Original post by Dragonrage973
Found this blog post and it puts perfectly into words how I feel about seasons 5 - 7 of Doctor Who. Almost feel like crying now :/
http://stfu-moffat.tumblr.com/post/30991164205/how-moffat-ruined-doctor-who-for-my-little-sister

To me it seems like a generic 21 year old just wanting to bash and thinking being negative and swearing is cool.

Also the fact he calls them "seasons"(thats what Americans call things) and thinks it has ruined what he liked in his childhood means he doestn seem to realise Dr Who existed before as many people think NU Who has destroyed what they liked in their childhood.

Quite funny how he bases everything on how a 11 year old finds it hard to understand when many shows aimed at kids that age treat kids like they have a below average iq and he complains this one is too complex! Also funny to act if pre series 5 took a long time to finish its stories when people are complaining how Moffat drags his stories on! Also old who had long story arcs, generally 4 episodes for 1 story and 7-10 for the older ones!

It's SERIES 7 not SEASON 7! dont think of that as trolling but the boxsets themselves say SERIES on them, season is the Americanisation of things.

Now I think Matt Smiths Doctor is a bit strange but I was fed up of David Tennant by the end, though if MS was in Ecclesons series he would of been great in that.
Reply 1435
I've never quite understood the sheer level of Moffat bashing from fans. It hasn't been perfect-series 6 was a confusing mess and I don't agree with the no two parters/split series idea but the quality of the show is still high. The latest series finale is probably the best since the revival.

People seem to view RTD's reign with rose-tinted glasses-Series 4 was brilliant but some parts of series 2 and 1 are far poorer than what is currently being produced.
Original post by wegan2
I've never quite understood the sheer level of Moffat bashing from fans. It hasn't been perfect-series 6 was a confusing mess and I don't agree with the no two parters/split series idea but the quality of the show is still high. The latest series finale is probably the best since the revival.

People seem to view RTD's reign with rose-tinted glasses-Series 4 was brilliant but some parts of series 2 and 1 are far poorer than what is currently being produced.

Surely that's a matter of perspective? I know that I have been bored by at least 50% of the episodes this series whereas in previous series I can't think of more than a handful of episodes that I didn't enjoy. In fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head was the one with Peter Kay in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wegan2

I don't think the finale was the absolute best of the revival, but otherwise I agree.
Reply 1438
Well in the end it's all down to personal opinion. For example in Classic Who Colin Baker's first season is one of my favourites which isn't the usual view!

I really enjoyed the last series except for The Rings of Akhaten and Nightmare in Silver whereas in series 2 I watched again recently and really didn't like it-only enjoyed about 3 episodes!
And Love & monsters (Peter Kay) is not one I enjoyed! :smile:
Original post by wegan2
Well in the end it's all down to personal opinion. For example in Classic Who Colin Baker's first season is one of my favourites which isn't the usual view!

I really enjoyed the last series except for The Rings of Akhaten and Nightmare in Silver whereas in series 2 I watched again recently and really didn't like it-only enjoyed about 3 episodes!
And Love & monsters (Peter Kay) is not one I enjoyed! :smile:

Interestingly i thought the 'Nightmare in silver' was the best since the Pandorica and that's despite having no battle.

Quick Reply

Latest