Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    x
    Hey, how did you do? I scraped an A (123), and overall, I was one mark off an A in Chemistry :/

Believe me, OCR salters is a real tough nut. I'm not going to lie, A2 was such a challenge and required so much work. But with hard work, you'll be fine. Somehow you just have to block all the stupid boundaries, and focus on the content and questions

ReputationRep:
    138/150 yay, go me woop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)
    Does anyone know their mark for OCR Chemistry coursework for AS?
    I got 57/60 but my teacher told me I had 58/60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Hey, how did you do? I scraped an A (123), and overall, I was one mark off an A in Chemistry :/

Believe me, OCR salters is a real tough nut. I'm not going to lie, A2 was such a challenge and required so much work. But with hard work, you'll be fine. Somehow you just have to block all the stupid boundaries, and focus on the content and questions
    I don't get my results until tomorrow That sucks, I hope it didn't make any major difference to your plans for the future? I have the option to drop chemistry next year, but it's so much more relevant to my degree choice (physics) than economics. The one thing I'm really worried about is the coursework- everyone says its a nightmare, but from what I gather that's mostly because its huge, rather than especially difficult to get good marks. Would you say that if you're willing to put the effort in, it's definitely doable to score highly, or is it still far more difficult than the average coursework? Also, would you say that a low A was roughly what you were expecting, or were you hoping for higher? I'm trying to gauge whether I could have any nasty shocks coming my way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    I got 57/60 but my teacher told me I had 58/60.
    So sad, My teacher said i got 48/60 got marked down to 45/60.. It kills
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Need 2 more UMS for an A overall in AS Chemistry and have applied for a remark in F332

ReputationRep:
    I don't get my results until tomorrow That sucks, I hope it didn't make any major difference to your plans for the future? I have the option to drop chemistry next year, but it's so much more relevant to my degree choice (physics) than economics. The one thing I'm really worried about is the coursework- everyone says its a nightmare, but from what I gather that's mostly because its huge, rather than especially difficult to get good marks. Would you say that if you're willing to put the effort in, it's definitely doable to score highly, or is it still far more difficult than the average coursework? Also, would you say that a low A was roughly what you were expecting, or were you hoping for higher? I'm trying to gauge whether I could have any nasty shocks coming my way...
    Oh yeah, my bad, I forgot about that! Best of luck

Nah it didn't luckily, I still got into my firm university as I got A's in the other subjects, thankfully! I would defiantly say that the coursework is doable so long as you're willing to put the effort in- I spent two solid weeks doing lab work and writing everything up. I got 68/90 officially (B), but my teachers told me I got around a high A. That leads me to my next point; never trust what your teacher gives you for your coursework. It varies so much and moderation can really knock your grade. So to be really honest, the coursework is a minefield- you just have to put your head down and hope for the best.

I was hoping for a good, solid A, but I got 78/90 for F334 and then 92/120 for F335, if the grade boundaries were lower, these would be at least 5 marks higher I would guess; making me get a solid A. I'm happy though; I found salters a really challenging course, and just grateful that I got a decent grade!

So yeah, whilst Salters may seem like the course of hell, if you knuckle down and really work with the concepts and applying your knowledge, you should get the grade you want. Somehow you just have to ignore these furors over boundaries and moderation, and trust me, it'll work out!

Best of luck for you tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Is that the sort of thing you were expecting, or were you hoping for higher? OCR is easily the worst exam board of the lot, ridiculous syllabuses, ridiculous exams and now ridiculous grade boundaries. Perhaps that's just for my subjects, but that's how it feels.
    I wouldn't necessarily say OCR is the worst exam board, well for chemistry anyway. This year has been far easier than others for Salters AS exams. I'm sorry but anyone who thought that F331 (Jan 2013) and this exam were 'solid' clearly didn't prepare thoroughly enough. F331 was virtually a paper composed of past papers and F332 was nearly the same, with a few minor additions to test the most able candidates. Both had a lot of recall involved. I mean come on, OCR even repeated a question from June 09' with the only difference being one of the figures doubled. I am hardly surprised that the grade boundaries shot up.

P.S negative reppers, I'm sorry that you couldn't handle recall in an A level exam :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NielsBohrsDad)
    a high c. thats 98 ums

ocr well and truly ****ed everyone over.
    Not everyone.

For F332 I managed to get 135 UM

Now I'll drop it and never see it again

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys i was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me figure out whether i will be able to achieve an A at A-level with AS grades i have received so far -

chemistry for life : 59 ums (C)
    chemistry of natural resources : 99ums (C)
    chemistry in practice : 38ums (C)

i am also not too sure which module will be better to retake, as in which one is more worth the retake? or would i only get an A if i retake both modules?
    any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahmed_)
    Hi guys i was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me figure out whether i will be able to achieve an A at A-level with AS grades i have received so far -

chemistry for life - ums : 59 (C)
    chemistry of natural resources - ums : 99 (C)
    chemistry in practice - ums : 38 (C)

i am also not too sure which module will be better to retake, as in which one is more worth the retake? or would i only get an A if i retake both modules?
    any help would be appreciated
    I'm afraid if you really want to get the A, I would advise you to retake all the modules. This website is really useful to see how much marks you need to get a certain grade:
    http://ucal.co.uk/
    Sign up and just enter salters chemistry and enter your module marks. I've put yours in and so from those marks, you'll need 284/300 in A2 to get an A overall.

I personally retook F332, and I can confidently say that it was much easier alongside A2 modules, as much of the knowledge and concepts you learn in AS are expanded and gone over. So, it won't be that daunting. However, it's a lot of work- especially as there are no January exams, you really have to be committed and put your head down this year.

Whilst the possibility of 4 chemistry exams may seem daunting, alongside your coursework, I feel this is the only real way to push for that A. Coupled with hard work and graft, it should be doable! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    I'm afraid if you really want to get the A, I would advise you to retake all the modules. This website is really useful to see how much marks you need to get a certain grade:
    http://ucal.co.uk/
    Sign up and just enter salters chemistry and enter your module marks. I've put yours in and so from those marks, you'll need 284/300 in A2 to get an A overall.

I personally retook F332, and I can confidently say that it was much easier alongside A2 modules, as much of the knowledge and concepts you learn in AS are expanded and gone over. So, it won't be that daunting. However, it's a lot of work- especially as there are no January exams, you really have to be committed and put your head down this year.

Whilst the possibility of 4 chemistry exams may seem daunting, alongside your coursework, I feel this is the only real way to push for that A. Coupled with hard work and graft, it should be doable! Best of luck

Okay thank you that was helpful im thinking to just focus on a2 exams, and maybe take a gap year in which i can retake my as chemistry modules

ReputationRep:
    Got a B

ReputationRep:
    Why neg

ReputationRep:
    Mad cause you failed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Login)
    Mad cause you failed?
    Who are you talking to?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of ums did everyone get?

ReputationRep:
    anyone have the f331 paper??? (may 2013) - would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    For any of the people who have done the chemistry coursework (f333) already, I have a question which I'd like to ask and want to get you're opinions on this. So I got 44/60 in my F333 AS coursework, and according to june 2013 grade boundaries, thats equivalent to a C which Im really disappointed about and busted my ass off for them. I'd just like to know if we go according to the 2013 grade boundaries, how many UMS do i need to get for an A overall in AS chemistry AND will the grade boundaries be higher or lower for this upcoming year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.