Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Covhampton record their first win of pre season with a 2-0 result over Roma reserves. Chievo on Wednesday, Marcus Tudgay also with the team on trial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Leicester have a bid of £6.5m rejected for Troy Deeney, Watford have an enquiry rejected for Leicester's Andy King. Interesting, £6.5m is a joke though when you look at other transfers this summer...
    Compared to the likes of McCormack, 6.5m would be cheap for Deeney, but I'd say it's a fair whack for a player who's never played above the championship - I don't see that one team spending an absurd amount on a player should then mean we inflate everyone elses price to match.

As for King - no. You've already had one cult hero in Dyer, you're not having another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Compared to the likes of McCormack, 6.5m would be cheap for Deeney, but I'd say it's a fair whack for a player who's never played above the championship - I don't see that one team spending an absurd amount on a player should then mean we inflate everyone elses price to match.

As for King - no. You've already had one cult hero in Dyer, you're not having another.
    £6.5m would normally be acceptable for someone like Deeney I'd say I originally reckoned we'd hold out for £8m, but after McCormack for £11m, and Ulloa for however much it's meant to be, I'd be annoyed if we sold for less than £10m. If Leicester bought Deeney however, Sky Sports would just be showing constant repeats of Deeney's play-off goal last season to the point where even us Watford fans aren't excited by it anymore.

Funny about King - I would've thought we had enough CM's as it is, not sure where he'd fit in

ReputationRep:
    Deeney bid raised to £7.5m by Leicester, still rejected. Seems we're holding out.

ReputationRep:
    Nice 1-0 win over a strong Watford XI, triallist Tudgay with the goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decent preseason for us so far. The highlight being a 3-2 win against Ligue One's Nice. We also lost 4-0 to Osasuna's first team with our reserves, but held them for the first half.

The season starts in nine days! Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Nice 1-0 win over a strong Watford XI, triallist Tudgay with the goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't want to embarass you by playing the unstoppable Deeney/Vydra strikeforce.

ReputationRep:
    Tom Lees just signed for us and we are leaving things late as per usual.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't want to embarass you by playing the unstoppable Deeney/Vydra strikeforce.
    Vydra started did he not?

ReputationRep:
    Vydra started did he not?
    Vydra is nothing without Sir Troy.

Personally, no offence to Coventry, I found it embarassing that our squad, which has over 300 international caps altogether, including for Brazil, Italy and Switzerland, didn't even trouble a League One side.. Playing 4-3-3 is worrying, formation surely must have Deeney/Vydra upfront together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Vydra is nothing without Sir Troy.

Personally, no offence to Coventry, I found it embarassing that our squad, which has over 300 international caps altogether, including for Brazil, Italy and Switzerland, didn't even trouble a League One side.. Playing 4-3-3 is worrying, formation surely must have Deeney/Vydra upfront together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't take too much from a meaningless friendly to be honest. Better to get sloppiness out of the way now rather than when it counts.

No offence taken. Few people thought our reputation could get lower when SISU took over but they really have excelled at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take too much from a meaningless friendly to be honest. Better to get sloppiness out of the way now rather than when it counts.

No offence taken. Few people thought our reputation could get lower when SISU took over but they really have excelled at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope so, I've placed a tenner on us getting promoted when it was 13/1...

Whatever happened to the potential return to the Ricoh by the way? Only saw yesterday you were at Sixfields for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hope so, I've placed a tenner on us getting promoted when it was 13/1...

Whatever happened to the potential return to the Ricoh by the way? Only saw yesterday you were at Sixfields for another year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Following another fan protest in Coventry a few weeks back a statement appeared on the club website making a request to ACL to get back round the table. The interesting part is that this was originally signed by Tim Fisher (club CEO) and Joy Seppalla (head of SISU) but was quickly changed to read just Fisher. When you couple that with off the record comments from Fisher about Seppalla being 'mad' then it gives you a good idea of what's going on.

As long as Seppalla thinks that playing in Northampton will get her the Ricoh on the cheap that is where we will stay. Honestly, not even the writers of Dream Team could come up with more stupidity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Signed Leon Best on a season-long loan.

People are laughing at us but I think this could be a really astute signing. Got "McClaren masterstroke" written all over it :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Derby and Fulham to go up automatically for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Derby and Fulham to go up automatically for me.
    Both will surely be up there, I would put Cardiff, Wigan and Watford and the two you mentioned as the real promotion contenders
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fulham have signed a ton of new players and they've let a lot go, their team will take time to gel. They aren't going to play the likes of Stekelenburg, Mitroglou & Ruiz, what would be the point when the club knows they'll be off at the first opportunity. I think they'll be up there but I can't see them running away with the league. I'm surprised you didn't mention Norwich who apart from Snodgrass, have kept the squad together from last season.

Blackpool are guaranteed to finish bottom as well. Do they have a keeper yet?

ReputationRep:
    This is the table I posted on another forum.

Norwich are favourites for me. Just looking at their squad, they have Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Johnson, Pilkington, Redmond, Hoolahan, Hooper, Becchio and Grabban, most of which were competent Prem players. They SHOULD walk this league.

I like what Watford are doing too. Gomes, Cathcart, Tamas, Dyer and, of course, Vydra are all good signings at this level. I reckon they'll sneak into the play-offs late on and go on to win it from there.

1. Norwich
    2. Derby
    3. Wigan
    4. Cardiff
    5. Fulham
    6. Watford (surprise package - go up through POs)
    7. Middlesborough
    8. Blackburn
    9. Ipswich
    10. Forest
    11. Bournemouth
    12. Brighton
    13. Wolves
    14. Reading
    15. Bolton
    16. Huddersfield
    17. Wednesday
    18. Millwall
    19. Brentford
    20. Charlton
    21. Rotherham
    22. Leeds
    23. Birmingham
    24. Blackpool
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I reckon Wednesday will spring a surprise this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    This is the table I posted on another forum.

Norwich are favourites for me. Just looking at their squad, they have Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Johnson, Pilkington, Redmond, Hoolahan, Hooper, Becchio and Grabban, most of which were competent Prem players. They SHOULD walk this league.

I like what Watford are doing too. Gomes, Cathcart, Tamas, Dyer and, of course, Vydra are all good signings at this level. I reckon they'll sneak into the play-offs late on and go on to win it from there.

1. Norwich
    2. Derby
    3. Wigan
    4. Cardiff
    5. Fulham
    6. Watford (surprise package - go up through POs)
    7. Middlesborough
    8. Blackburn
    9. Ipswich
    10. Forest
    11. Bournemouth
    12. Brighton
    13. Wolves
    14. Reading
    15. Bolton
    16. Huddersfield
    17. Wednesday
    18. Millwall
    19. Brentford
    20. Charlton
    21. Rotherham
    22. Leeds
    23. Birmingham
    24. Blackpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, I'll try this also.

Fulham first for me. Magaths discipline should suit the championship and I imagine they'll be up for the fight. Watford second, albeit this is all down to our defence, as I do believe we have the most talented attack in the league, and after a few years experience, is now suited to English football.

Derby, were in my opinion the surprise team last year, like Watford the year before, so I am wary on Derby based on our own plight last year, although our squads are very different.

Can't see a surprise team in the championship this year I'm afraid.

1. Fulham
    2. Watford
    3. Wigan
    4. Cardiff
    5. Norwich
    6. Derby
    7. Reading
    8. Forest
    9. Leeds
    10. Brighton
    11. Ipswich
    12. Blackburn
    13. Bournemouth
    14. Huddersfield
    15. Wedensday
    16. Middlesbrough
    17. Wolves
    18. Bolton
    19. Millwall
    20. Charlton
    21. Birmingham
    22. Brentford
    23. Rotherham
    24. Blackpool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.