Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Count to a MINUS million and be the first forum to do it! Watch

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekbok)

I have no idea why it's in my room, it just is.

Nope a normal (but bit dusty) radio.

Yeah, we also have a normal power socket near the sink, it's too close even for a bathroom socket. :/

We're pretty sure he did the wiring himself, there's a hosepipe carrying electrics to the greenhouse that contains normal, indoor cables.

Yeah, it does.

No, they didn't but it did flood cause they left a tap on before moving out and the dog's also fallen down there. :eek:
    Oh my gosh.... things get weirder and more strange on CTAMM by the minute! :eek:

So basically, let me try to assume what's going on here.... (correct me if I am wrong!)

You've got a radio (which turns out to be a normal AM/FM radio) which is wired onto the garage lighting circuit, so it gets power when you turn the lights on. But, the radio itself is located in your bedroom?
    So basically you can only have it running (if you wanted) if there is a supply to the garage lights?!

It would work as a burglar alarm if there was a FM transmitter in the garage, but apart from that, why the hell did they do that?!
    Surely it'd have been easier to slap a plug on the end of the lead and have the radio where you need it? :confused:

I think that needs sorting out, when you sort out the attic radio!

A power socket near the sink? The only way that would be possible is if that was a special shaver socket, above the sink by a good distance. Otherwise it's inherently unsafe... imagine what would happen if water splashed into the socket....

Based on what you've told me all the wiring must have been done himself, and he's also bodged quite a lot of it !!

Hope the dog is okay... it wouldn't be good to flood out that! that could have caused a lot of damage!

Let's just hope that one day, you manage to find the time to fix these things that we've discussed!

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by spotify95)
    Oh my gosh.... things get weirder and more strange on CTAMM by the minute! :eek:

So basically, let me try to assume what's going on here.... (correct me if I am wrong!)

You've got a radio (which turns out to be a normal AM/FM radio) which is wired onto the garage lighting circuit, so it gets power when you turn the lights on. But, the radio itself is located in your bedroom?
    So basically you can only have it running (if you wanted) if there is a supply to the garage lights?!

It would work as a burglar alarm if there was a FM transmitter in the garage, but apart from that, why the hell did they do that?!
    Surely it'd have been easier to slap a plug on the end of the lead and have the radio where you need it? :confused:

I think that needs sorting out, when you sort out the attic radio!

A power socket near the sink? The only way that would be possible is if that was a special shaver socket, above the sink by a good distance. Otherwise it's inherently unsafe... imagine what would happen if water splashed into the socket....

Based on what you've told me all the wiring must have been done himself, and he's also bodged quite a lot of it !!

Hope the dog is okay... it wouldn't be good to flood out that! that could have caused a lot of damage!

Let's just hope that one day, you manage to find the time to fix these things that we've discussed!

I know it does. :eek:

Yeah, you have got it right, a normal plug socket by the sink... :eek:

He has bodged a lot of it!

She's fine, it happened a while ago.

Yeah, that's the plan.

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I know it does. :eek:

Yeah, you have got it right, a normal plug socket by the sink... :eek:

He has bodged a lot of it!

She's fine, it happened a while ago.

Yeah, that's the plan.
    I thought that was what went on

As for the 2 radios, it might be a nice idea having them come on with the lights, but surely (a) it'd make sense to putting them on the correct circuit - i.e. the bedroom one on a bedroom circuit, not a garage circuit? and (b) it'd be safer to use an ordinary plug and manually turn the thing on.

A standard 240V plug socket by the sink is certainly not IP rated and is inherently unsafe, if any water got into that there would be a rather large problem. I believe that you are only allowed to have shaver sockets (that are low voltage) in the bathroom and even so they need to be a set distance away from the sink. I think that needs urgent attention.

I can tell he was a bodger! I thought the people who lived here last were bodgers (with the lights I said about, and connecting a ceiling rose light fitting (in the garage) to a standard plug socket.... but our bodger was nothing like the bodger you had! :eek:

Good to hear your dog is okay

Please, let me know via PM whenever you finally fix all of these nasty bodges!

ReputationRep:

I thought that was what went on

As for the 2 radios, it might be a nice idea having them come on with the lights, but surely (a) it'd make sense to putting them on the correct circuit - i.e. the bedroom one on a bedroom circuit, not a garage circuit? and (b) it'd be safer to use an ordinary plug and manually turn the thing on.

A standard 240V plug socket by the sink is certainly not IP rated and is inherently unsafe, if any water got into that there would be a rather large problem. I believe that you are only allowed to have shaver sockets (that are low voltage) in the bathroom and even so they need to be a set distance away from the sink. I think that needs urgent attention.

I can tell he was a bodger! I thought the people who lived here last were bodgers (with the lights I said about, and connecting a ceiling rose light fitting (in the garage) to a standard plug socket.... but our bodger was nothing like the bodger you had! :eek:

Good to hear your dog is okay

Please, let me know via PM whenever you finally fix all of these nasty bodges!

I know, it's all a bit dodgy and unsafe tbh, my dad's planning on sorting it.

Having a bodger before you is really annoying as you have to fix everything that they've bodged. :eek:

I will let you know when it's all sorted, but it might not be for a bit.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I know, it's all a bit dodgy and unsafe tbh, my dad's planning on sorting it.

Having a bodger before you is really annoying as you have to fix everything that they've bodged. :eek:

I will let you know when it's all sorted, but it might not be for a bit.
    Okay great, I'm not expecting an overnight fix on something as bodged as this

tell me about it, we had to fix a lot of problems. apparently the boiler was supposed to be serviced every year, well that didn't happen, so when we moved in the boiler didn't give much output. we had to have a new boiler put in at our expense!

that's good, it really needs sorting out. you can't have anything at mains voltage in the bathroom, due to contact with water, and any lights have to be splash proof (ip44) or greater.

-1430 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

ReputationRep:

Okay great, I'm not expecting an overnight fix on something as bodged as this

tell me about it, we had to fix a lot of problems. apparently the boiler was supposed to be serviced every year, well that didn't happen, so when we moved in the boiler didn't give much output. we had to have a new boiler put in at our expense!

that's good, it really needs sorting out. you can't have anything at mains voltage in the bathroom, due to contact with water, and any lights have to be splash proof (ip44) or greater.

-1430 :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Yeah, neither am I.

The boiler is fine here which is good.

I know, but it is going to be sorted.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Yeah, neither am I.

The boiler is fine here which is good.

I know, but it is going to be sorted.
    That's good to know. we now have a combi boiler so we don't need an airing cupboard or an immersion tank anymore... hence we got rid of the airing cupboard and made the bathroom bigger (whilst completely revamping it!)

Plus we can now have hot water on demand, any time of day... rather than have to heat up a big tank of water

That's good, let me know when it's done

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

That's good to know. we now have a combi boiler so we don't need an airing cupboard or an immersion tank anymore... hence we got rid of the airing cupboard and made the bathroom bigger (whilst completely revamping it!)

Plus we can now have hot water on demand, any time of day... rather than have to heat up a big tank of water

That's good, let me know when it's done

Sounds nice, we have the same thing.

Will do.

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Plus the combi boiler is a lot more gas efficient

ReputationRep:

I'm sure, but we might be moving to a water tank that's powered by electricity. It's cause we're getting solar panels.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.