Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medici103)
    Does anyone know when the majority of GEM medicine courses start? I just found out that my MSc now won't finish until the end of September next year; originally we were told that it was an academic year.
    Think they all vary. think Barts was 8th sept this year. I'm in the same boat though. I don't graduate from my masters until the middle of sept. Where you doing your masters and applying for GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the majority of GEM medicine courses start? I just found out that my MSc now won't finish until the end of September next year; originally we were told that it was an academic year.
    KCL is end of August
    Warwick end of september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    Think they all vary. think Barts was 8th sept this year. I'm in the same boat though. I don't graduate from my masters until the middle of sept. Where you doing your masters and applying for GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing my masters in biomedicine at Portsmouth. GEM-wise I was looking at Barts (especially with the new grading system), Southampton (it's near to me), Birmingham (I got a first at BSc), and a mystery option. You?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my masters in biomedicine at Portsmouth. GEM-wise I was looking at Barts (especially with the new grading system), Southampton (it's near to me), Birmingham (I got a first at BSc), and a mystery option. You?
    I'm currently doing my masters at Barts in Trauma. GEM- Hopefully applying to Barts, Southampton, warwick and Newcastle. Have you applied previously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a graduate - realistically are there any funding bodies to support doing a 5 year course? (Apart from BMA which may give 2.5k in your 2nd-4th years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    As a graduate - realistically are there any funding bodies to support doing a 5 year course? (Apart from BMA which may give 2.5k in your 2nd-4th years)
    No, it's not feasible without significant savings or family backing. You can get career development loan to assist with the final years but it's no where near enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    No, it's not feasible without significant savings or family backing. You can get career development loan to assist with the final years but it's no where near enough.
    It's really frustrating how little support there is for those who want to do the 5 year course! I'm still applying to mainly 4 year courses but going to do one 5 year as a backup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    I'm currently doing my masters at Barts in Trauma. GEM- Hopefully applying to Barts, Southampton, warwick and Newcastle. Have you applied previously?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, several times. I keep on trying to improve my applicant profile and then the medical schools shift the goal posts in terms of requirements. Believe it or not, the next application I make will be number 5. Sounds awful!

ReputationRep:
    So, It's looking like doing medicine as a second undergraduate degree is the most likely chance I have at studying medicine, Which is the only vocation I could ever even consider dedicating my life to pursuing. However, I am not from a family back ground where we could ever consider paying those fee's alone. So my question to any of you wonderful second undergrad Medics out there, How do you survive? I've looked at the prizes/bursaries/ grants and loans, but even if you were to get all of those, the £9000 fees continue to be a barricade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacqualyn)
    So, It's looking like doing medicine as a second undergraduate degree is the most likely chance I have at studying medicine, Which is the only vocation I could ever even consider dedicating my life to pursuing. However, I am not from a family back ground where we could ever consider paying those fee's alone. So my question to any of you wonderful second undergrad Medics out there, How do you survive? I've looked at the prizes/bursaries/ grants and loans, but even if you were to get all of those, the £9000 fees continue to be a barricade!
    Have you tried applying for GEM courses? Yes they're more competitive, but they're a lot better financially.
    I looked into 5 year funding after receiving a 5 year offer from King's after I applied for their 4 year course... Basically, I don't think it's feasible without family support. There are non government student loans, but they want expensive repayments whilst you're still studying, and the charities will offer amounts in the hundreds, not thousands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Going_To_California)
    Have you tried applying for GEM courses? Yes they're more competitive, but they're a lot better financially.
    I looked into 5 year funding after receiving a 5 year offer from King's after I applied for their 4 year course... Basically, I don't think it's feasible without family support. There are non government student loans, but they want expensive repayments whilst you're still studying, and the charities will offer amounts in the hundreds, not thousands.
    I have been looking at GEM courses, and I'm going to use 3 of my options for them, but I'm not hopeful about the competition. I'm looking at graduating next year with a 1st class degree in Biomedical Science, and I'm easily in the 90th percentile of my year there, but my A levels are dire, as I had a very turbulent home environment during those years, and my UKCAT is only 653 (2610), which Isn't terrible in general, but doesn't look promising for GEM. I've been volunteering 5/6 days out of the week at a local hospice all summer, and looking to start in an A+E ward at my local university hospital, I'm also secretary of our uni's LINKS unit and a First aider, and I have other numerous roles of responsibiliy/ awards from my university, and I'd been a carer for my mum from the age of 9. But I agree, the funding available just doesn't touch the reality of the tuition fees. It's wrong that financial backgrounds govern who can and can't achieve, more than their abilities

ReputationRep:
    Did you get a place in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, several times. I keep on trying to improve my applicant profile and then the medical schools shift the goal posts in terms of requirements. Believe it or not, the next application I make will be number 5. Sounds awful!
    Just to give a little morale boost this was application number 5 for me and finally it was successful. Still only one offer out of two interviews but it's all anyone needs. Keep going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topgear1987)
    Just to give a little morale boost this was application number 5 for me and finally it was successful. Still only one offer out of two interviews but it's all anyone needs. Keep going
    Thank you! Hopefully it will work out for me on application 5 then! And you're right, one offer is all you need. Congratulations on getting a place!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any advice getting a NA or HCA position? Ive applied for so many positions on NHS website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    Thank you very much. Not the questions I thought! I was all prepared for the whole tell me about yourself, what are your strengths/weakness but it wasn't.

They started by asking me to tell them a bit about what I've been up to. Then (as far as I can remember) was
    - asked me to tell them about a difficult situation in the workplace and how I handled it
    - an experience with an angry/violent patient and what I did
    - what I would do in such a such situation
    - asked about a time when I've used feedback constructively
    - asked about a time when I've worked in a really busy environment and how I managed to make sure I still worked efficiently
    - asked when someone has done something in the workplace and I didn't agree with it and what I did

And I genuinely cannot remember the last question 😩

I'm really happy as they said 40 people applied and I was sure they would choose others who had experience in that environment so I'm very happy. I would have loved to work in a more clinical setting taking bloods etc but I'm so happy to work here and I really hope I can just make people's stay better as this is providing care in an environment where you're involved in a longer recovery processes. I'm excited :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome, thanks! I have a HCA interview in a few weeks, so I'm hoping I can land a job too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxanne123)
    Do you have any advice getting a NA or HCA position? Ive applied for so many positions on NHS website?
    Keep going! I have the done the same as you; lots of applications with no luck. Then out of the blue I got two interviews. One of them for a job that I applied for back in June. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxanne123)
    Just keep trying. I applied for various roles at various hospitals and I know my local hospital didn't reply to any of my applications because I'm over qualified (I know someone who works there who told me) but I managed to get one just yesterday at a hospital a little further out see if you can find out whether the hospitals you're applying to will take on graduates for non-graduate positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacqualyn)
    I have been looking at GEM courses, and I'm going to use 3 of my options for them, but I'm not hopeful about the competition. I'm looking at graduating next year with a 1st class degree in Biomedical Science, and I'm easily in the 90th percentile of my year there, but my A levels are dire, as I had a very turbulent home environment during those years, and my UKCAT is only 653 (2610), which Isn't terrible in general, but doesn't look promising for GEM. I've been volunteering 5/6 days out of the week at a local hospice all summer, and looking to start in an A+E ward at my local university hospital, I'm also secretary of our uni's LINKS unit and a First aider, and I have other numerous roles of responsibiliy/ awards from my university, and I'd been a carer for my mum from the age of 9. But I agree, the funding available just doesn't touch the reality of the tuition fees. It's wrong that financial backgrounds govern who can and can't achieve, more than their abilities
    UKCAT can be a big hurdle. I sat it in 2013 and got straight rejections because it was low. I reapplied last year with all things the same apart from a UKCAT score and will be starting at Warwick in September. You're unlikely to get any interviews for GEM this year unfortunately, so I can see why you'd want to apply for 5 year courses. Your experience sounds really good, it's just annoying how much emphasis is placed on entrance tests. Would you consider sitting the GAMSAT or BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT can be a big hurdle. I sat it in 2013 and got straight rejections because it was low. I reapplied last year with all things the same apart from a UKCAT score and will be starting at Warwick in September. You're unlikely to get any interviews for GEM this year unfortunately, so I can see why you'd want to apply for 5 year courses. Your experience sounds really good, it's just annoying how much emphasis is placed on entrance tests. Would you consider sitting the GAMSAT or BMAT?
    Hi there. What were your respective UKCAT scores? If you don't mind saying? I have really good academic credentials and plenty of work experience as I work with doctors every day in the NHS in my current role but my UKCAT wasn't as high as I had hoped. Considering taking the BMAT for Oxford instead so stressful. I got 680 average :/
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.