Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hillman looks like he has the patience and vision to be more effective in their new scheme than CJ. I'm only watching the condensed version so don't like quote me on any of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Hillman looks like he has the patience and vision to be more effective in their new scheme than CJ. I'm only watching the condensed version so don't like quote me on any of this.
    CJ has patience and vision, as evidenced by some of his runs last season (albeit that was in the previous scheme). It's just that I think he was playing more hurt than he was trying to let on. He's been limited in practice all week with a toe injury and is questionable for a game which is quite possibly the biggest of the Broncos' entire season. A lot of people are suggesting that he has turf toe, although that has been shot down by the team.

ReputationRep:
    What a game so far.

Congratulates, Peyton on getting 70,000 passing yards.

ReputationRep:
    I need a lie down.

So, Peyton's washed up, is he? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-OMAHA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was a fantastic drive to tie up the game.

And please, dear Broncos, these games are so close! I'm not too sure my ticker can take!

ReputationRep:
    He's still washed up, no pop at all

ReputationRep:
    Physically he looks about the same as he has since he went to Denver.

Otherwise he clearly doesn't look comfortable in this new offense and has also played against two elite pass rushes.

ReputationRep:
    Physically he looks about the same as he has since he went to Denver.

Otherwise he clearly doesn't look comfortable in this new offense and has also played against two elite pass rushes.
    I think that's a fair view. He struggled under Mike McCoy's system in the first five weeks, before McCoy relented and introduced concepts Peyton was more accustomed to, and to be honest, I'm almost certain we'll see more of the HUNH, shotgun offense as a general philosophy. It's a shame really, because the Broncos will need a strong running game come playoff time.

When he went under shotgun and where he was able to get the ball out quicker, he looked very very sharp. Like, 2013 sharp. The overall completions and percentages were significantly down, but I think that's more because of the struggles under the Kubiak system. 25/46 is..well, un-Manning like.

The other thing is, while a lot of people are suggesting that 'he lost it'...which standards are being applied? If it's by Peyton's standards, well, he's been on the decline since his utterly ridiculous 2004 season. I'm awfully sorry if I sound like I'm being a homer, but that smile in that interview suggested that he was sick of being doubted, and he answered the call in the best possible way when it mattered. It doesn't get any easier against Detroit, especially if DeAndre Levy is able to play (and I hope he will be able to), because they still have a stout front seven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    CJ has patience and vision, as evidenced by some of his runs last season (albeit that was in the previous scheme). It's just that I think he was playing more hurt than he was trying to let on. He's been limited in practice all week with a toe injury and is questionable for a game which is quite possibly the biggest of the Broncos' entire season. A lot of people are suggesting that he has turf toe, although that has been shot down by the team.
    It's a different kind of patience and vision. CJ likes to get downhill fast, and when he does he can operate very well in tight spaces in terms of decision making, footwork etc. With the zone, you're meant to take more time in the backfield to allow blocks to express themselves, and the trade-off is hopefully you get more space later on. It's hard from just one still, but on identical plays compare CJ and Demarco's hips, shoulders and head position, etc. If you watch the actual film you see that Murray also lets the play develop by pivoting in his stance for a beat. People saw these huge holes developing for Murray and felt that any scrub could run behind that line, but they didn't realise how much his running style actually created those holes. CJ is good at it, but not great like he is in a power scheme.

It annoyed me from the get go because in the first series the Broncos play sheet went:
    Power O (CJ makes a great move, gets a block and gains ~15)
    Outside zone (no gain)
    Outside zone (2 yard loss)
    Pass

Kubiak seems inflexible.
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    I think that's a fair view. He struggled under Mike McCoy's system in the first five weeks, before McCoy relented and introduced concepts Peyton was more accustomed to, and to be honest, I'm almost certain we'll see more of the HUNH, shotgun offense as a general philosophy. It's a shame really, because the Broncos will need a strong running game come playoff time.
    You should be able to run the ball from a no huddle shotgun offense. Oregon seem to manage it. I just don't see how the zone makes sense. It doesn't suit the back, and it's not like you're setting up the read option. They ran the pistol quite a bit the last couple of years, which is basically shotgun for passing and under center for power running, so I don't know why every team doesn't use it for pretty much everything. But whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Bigger image: http://imgur.com/9lDnnjX

ReputationRep:
    It's a different kind of patience and vision. CJ likes to get downhill fast, and when he does he can operate very well in tight spaces in terms of decision making, footwork etc. With the zone, you're meant to take more time in the backfield to allow blocks to express themselves, and the trade-off is hopefully you get more space later on. It's hard from just one still, but on identical plays compare CJ and Demarco's hips, shoulders and head position, etc. If you watch the actual film you see that Murray also lets the play develop by pivoting in his stance for a beat. People saw these huge holes developing for Murray and felt that any scrub could run behind that line, but they didn't realise how much his running style actually created those holes. CJ is good at it, but not great like he is in a power scheme.

It annoyed me from the get go because in the first series the Broncos play sheet went:
    Power O (CJ makes a great move, gets a block and gains ~15)
    Outside zone (no gain)
    Outside zone (2 yard loss)
    Pass

Kubiak seems inflexible.

You should be able to run the ball from a no huddle shotgun offense. Oregon seem to manage it. I just don't see how the zone makes sense. It doesn't suit the back, and it's not like you're setting up the read option. They ran the pistol quite a bit the last couple of years, which is basically shotgun for passing and under center for power running, so I don't know why every team doesn't use it for pretty much everything. But whatever.
    Nice write up. Will have to rep when I can.

I really want to see more pistol. It does frustrate me a lot, considering, as you said, that it was used a fair bit in the last few years.

ReputationRep:
    Away with work. Packed my cowboys jersey to wear whilst watching the game Sunday night in the hotel bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Work took less time than expected so on way home now. Should be home just in time for cowboys game on sky.

Great timing to ignore my fiancée and watch the game.

Going to follow the patriots game online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bigger fan of this week so far but Keenan Allen can do one. How bout them Bills though, looked really useful on the opening drive. If they maintain that kind of momentum this could be really close.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I shouldn't take pleasure in this after last week but....

Marcus Mari-who?

ReputationRep:
    I cannot watch 2 games on the bounce any more. I'm so tired after this half. I blame my 4th Freshers week. I'm binning this game off and I'll come back to watch the Jags probably implode again. That certainly won't be boring.

ReputationRep:
    Just came in and turned the NE-Buffalo game on. Five 5 plays: extra point, touchback, sack/forced fumble, forced fumble, sack. 'Sup Rex?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shunter7634)
    Just came in and turned the NE-Buffalo game on. Five 5 plays: extra point, touchback, sack/forced fumble, forced fumble, sack. 'Sup Rex?!
    Second start vs BB's defense.. very predictable. No idea why people were picking the Bills to win this game.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't script this Tampa game. PROTECT THE BALL!

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is happening in Buffalo? Sort it out Matt Patricia.

ReputationRep:
    That feel when I want to watch the damn cowboy fame sky sports....

Although enjoying watching Brady bringing me in a big fantasy score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.