Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    would someone be able to explain summation, please? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisie__x)
    They are good enough for an A/B if combined with past papers I think papers allow you to learn what the questions are asking for and give you practise with answering suggest questions.
    Thank you so much hun! I will deffo do past papers then, after learning these!

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain non cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation to me please? I kind of understand it but my notes arent very concise

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me if chemiosmosis, the electron transport chain different is the same as oxidative phosphorylation
    I'm sooo confused
    How does it add up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys you should checkout crashcourse on YouTube, he's really good at explain about action potentials,excretion etc

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone explain the structure of a liver? I'm having such a hard time picturing it:/

ReputationRep:
    Ffff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeeraP07)
    would someone be able to explain summation, please? Thank you!
    There are two types of summation; spacial and temporal. Summation occurs whennonenaction potential does not produce a large enough generator potential in the post synaptic membrane to cause an action potential. temporal summation is when repeat action potentials overtime causes the generation of an action potential in the postsynaptic neurone. Spacial summation occurs when action potentials from many presynaptic neurones converge to cause the action potential in one postsynaptic neurone, alone they wont cause the action potential, but as a sum total they will.

ReputationRep:
    Last years paper for f214 was really hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beni24)
    can someone explain non cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation to me please? I kind of understand it but my notes arent very concise
    Non cyclic: Photons excite a pair of electrons in PS2, and they move to a higher energy level and move along the electron transport chain to PS1. These electrons are replaced by the photolysis of water into H+, e- and oxygen. The electron carriers pump H+ across the thylakoid membrane, creating an electrochemical gradient. The protons move down this gradient via ATP synthase, creating a proton motive force. This force drives the synthesis of ATP from ADP and Pi. Electrons at PS1 are excited by photons to an even higher energy state and then reduce NADP to NADPH.

Cyclic: Photons excite a pair of electrons at PS1 and they move to a higher energy state, they move to the electron transport chain where they pump H+ across the membrane to create the gradient. The electrons then return back to PS1 where they are recycled.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone does anyone know what I'll need for an A or an A* this year.
    Last year I got 161 UMS which I think is a solid A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshinebeem)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What grades did you get in the individual units last year? Then i'll work it out properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    Last years paper for f214 was really hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it's reflected in the grade boundaries though, 41 for an A But yes it was horrible i thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshinebeem)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As advice from someone who is resiting this exam, balls to grade boundries. Be confident in all content and then you can only get higher UMS

ReputationRep:
    Some synoptic elements for F214
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Synoptic Links F214.doc (31.0 KB, 217 views)

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if this was the answer you were looking for but ill write it anyways
    chemiosmosis is the flow of hydrogen protons down their electrochemical gradient to generate the ATP
    oxidative phosphorylation is the formation of the ATP like how it happens and where oxygen is used as final electron acceptor etc
    chemiosmosis drives oxidative phosphorylation because it pumps the hydrogen's out to inter membrane space causing them to flow back through ion channels

ReputationRep:
    Oh forgot to click the reply button fml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domcandrews)
    Some synoptic elements for F214
    On the respiration sections there's Q10? What's that i cant remember?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisie__x)
    On the respiration sections there's Q10? What's that i cant remember?
    Q10 is basically the effect of increasing an enzyme catalysed reaction by 10 degrees, so you'd talk about increasing Ea, more molecules with E>Ea, more successful collisions and all that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.