Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im a foreign applicant and took the lnat on 31st dec

Just now i received offer from birmingham and kent but still waiting for king's and nottingham :/
    Till now i have not received any email from King's. Is it normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Did any KCL applicants send their LNAT ID number to the university through email or the KIng's portal? I'm wondering whether I should do this or not because I've just seen a message on the portal which asked me to send my LNAT number, only this was sent to me two days before I sat my LNAT exam so they hadn't received my results from Pearson at that time!
    Yes! Email them just in case. I sat my LNAT, sent off my application, and a few weeks later they asked me for my Pearson Vue account number. I think if you give them your number through the King's Portal, it saves them time matching up your UCAS and your Pearson Vue. Do it just in case because they did request it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    see above in bold. i bold it for you. hope you understand now.

i don't have any friends in durham. so i can't say unless i watch or listen to the video recordings of the lectures. but i think durham tries to be like oxbridge with its collegiate system. anyways the problem with this forum is that when it comes to law everyone is hung up about rankings and reputation but no one talks about the low level of teaching quality where
    1) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty speaking English
    2) the number of foreign law lecturers who have difficulty expressing themselves in English
    3) the number of foreign law lecturers who are biased in their views when teaching European Union law. You know why?

If UK pulls out of the EU, all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries and apply for work permits to work in UK as lecturers. That is not all. They will have to compete with better spoken, knowledgeable and smarter lecturers from the Commonwealth who breath and live the English Common law.

This forum will have to learn the difficult way but by then it will be too late because you'll be stuck in the uni where the lecturers are hopeless and you will be wondering how to score those crucial marks for exams.
    This is really quite obscene. In essence you're saying that foreign law lecturers are useless.
    I'd like to let you know that I was born in Europe but moved to UK at a young age and although my dad has an accent, he is by far the smartest man I know. He is a professor of Law and several of his also extremely intelligent colleagues are foreign but doesn't that simply highlight the fact that they've worked twice as hard despite a language barrier than their English as first-language speaking counterparts. They certainly would not have been hired if they were not better than the other candidates.
    Just because someone has an accent, it does not mean they have 'difficulty speaking English'. Furthermore, I'd rather have a professor who is making amazing points in an accent, than a professor whose points are mediocre and are in English.
    You're also saying that European all lecturers will be 'deported' as such which is just not true. Many, like my father, have a British citizenship so please do not assume that 'all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries.'
    I am really quite shocked at the way you have expressed yourself. If you had articulated your opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, I might not have been so angry to respond to your sweeping statements.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing solid evidence of reputability and quality of the course here!
    ffs, this table put UEA above Nottingham and Oxford Brookes above Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    My application got sent off 11th Jan!
    I have applied for
    BPP
    Uni Of Law
    Hertfordshire
    Bedfordshire
    London Soutbank
    I received a conditional offer from BPP literally 2 days after sending my application off which was great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katbo)
    This is really quite obscene. In essence you're saying that foreign law lecturers are useless.
    I'd like to let you know that I was born in Europe but moved to UK at a young age and although my dad has an accent, he is by far the smartest man I know. He is a professor of Law and several of his also extremely intelligent colleagues are foreign but doesn't that simply highlight the fact that they've worked twice as hard despite a language barrier than their English as first-language speaking counterparts. They certainly would not have been hired if they were not better than the other candidates.
    Just because someone has an accent, it does not mean they have 'difficulty speaking English'. Furthermore, I'd rather have a professor who is making amazing points in an accent, than a professor whose points are mediocre and are in English.
    You're also saying that European all lecturers will be 'deported' as such which is just not true. Many, like my father, have a British citizenship so please do not assume that 'all these foreign law lecturers teaching in UK unis now will have to return back to their home countries.'
    I am really quite shocked at the way you have expressed yourself. If you had articulated your opinions more sensitively and less judgmentally, I might not have been so angry to respond to your sweeping statements.
    I absolutely agree with you. I am from Europe too. Does that mean that I will be a useless lawyer with an accent some day?? We are all equal
    As for league tables...they are ridiculous Oxford Brookes is higher than Nottingham, Manchester and Birmingham... seriously?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    ****ing solid evidence of reputability and quality of the course here!
    ffs, this table put UEA above Nottingham and Oxford Brookes above Birmingham.
    Guys. I heard so many tables, to be completely objective, I collected all the figures of every table I could find over the last 4 years and made a table of tables based on average best for law, average best for university over all subjects and a megamix value of the 2. Here my results, some surprizing:

Best for law
    ----------------

UniversityUniversity of Cambridge
    University of Oxford
    London School of Economics
    University College London
    Durham University
    University of Nottingham
    King's College London
    University of Glasgow
    Queen Mary,University of London
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Aberdeen
    Newcastle University
    Queen's University, Belfast
    University of Bristol
    Lancaster University

Best over all subjects
    -----------------------------
    University of Cambridge
    University of Oxford
    Durham University
    University of Warwick
    University of Surrey
    University of Exeter
    Lancaster University
    University of York
    University of Birmingham
    University of East Anglia
    University of Southampton
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Leicester

Magamix
    -------------
    University of Oxford
    Durham University
    University of Warwick
    Lancaster University
    University of Nottingham
    University of Edinburgh
    University of York
    University of Glasgow
    University of Exeter
    University of Birmingham
    University of Surrey

Just as valid as any other table

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heading to the UCL offer holder day tommorow?)

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application off on 16th November. Received conditional offers from Exeter, Lancaster, Reading and UEA (unconditional, if firmed). Now I'm waiting for Warwick, who (if I do get an offer from them) would be my firm choice. The wait is slowly killing me, the number of times a day I check my track and email is ridiculous...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocface)
    Guys. I heard so many tables, to be completely objective, I collected all the figures of every table I could find over the last 4 years and made a table of tables based on average best for law, average best for university over all subjects and a megamix value of the 2. Here my results, some surprizing:

Best for law
    ----------------

University of Oxford
    Durham University
    University of Nottingham
    King's College London
    University of Glasgow
    Queen Mary,University of London
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Aberdeen
    Newcastle University
    Queen's University, Belfast
    University of Bristol
    Lancaster University

Best over all subjects
    -----------------------------
    University of Cambridge
    University of Oxford
    Durham University
    University of Warwick
    University of Surrey
    University of Exeter
    Lancaster University
    University of York
    University of Birmingham
    University of Southampton
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Leicester

Magamix
    -------------
    University of Oxford
    Durham University
    University of Warwick
    Lancaster University
    University of Nottingham
    University of Edinburgh
    University of York
    University of Glasgow
    University of Exeter
    University of Birmingham
    University of Surrey

Just as valid as any other table
    You must have taken the choice of a university quite seriously!
    It is weird seeing universities like Surrey and UEA here, because their entry not many people would put them any higher than maybe 30. I cannot imagine them being as good as league tables portray them to be. League tables are flawed and basing your table upon them makes it just as flawed as they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katbo)

You definitely said what I was thinking, well put!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    You must have taken the choice of a university quite seriously!
    It is weird seeing universities like Surrey and UEA here, because their entry not many people would put them any higher than maybe 30. I cannot imagine them being as good as league tables portray them to be. League tables are flawed and basing your table upon them makes it just as flawed as they are.
    Well I would argue slightly less flawed for the main universities as it evens out the extremes of some tables such as for example QMUL placed 3rd in Guardian for law, 15th in Complete University guide and 25th in the Times. The average, and averaging over more years is much more likely to be about right, Actually comes out as 10th which feels about right.

ReputationRep:
    Just received an offer from Liverpool (Conditional for AB, as I already have a B from an A Level I took in Year 11).

Currently waiting on Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elise1998)
    Aye!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Katbo)
    Yes! Email them just in case. I sat my LNAT, sent off my application, and a few weeks later they asked me for my Pearson Vue account number. I think if you give them your number through the King's Portal, it saves them time matching up your UCAS and your Pearson Vue. Do it just in case because they did request it
    You're right; it sounds like a good idea to send it to them, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elise1998)
    I haven't heard back from UCL yet! When did you apply/sit your Lnat? I hope they have another offer day! thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, did anyone here get into Oxford to study Law? I have a few questions as I'll be applying in October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah78615)
    Hey, did anyone here get into Oxford to study Law? I have a few questions as I'll be applying in October
    I've got an offer! Message me if you want to ask anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Aye!
    See you there!!

ReputationRep:
    Application sent late november, offer around 22nd december!
    And ofcouse they will!!
    (Original post by alexandra48)
    I haven't heard back from UCL yet! When did you apply/sit your Lnat? I hope they have another offer day! thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.