St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linaaa1123)
    Hmm I don't think you should apply to foundation courses as your grades are good enough. So you should Deffo apply for 5 year courses. Deffo recommend Leicester. Although most unis don't take retakes unless extinguishing circumstances. It's the retake but that's the problem. Good luck- I'll message you if I hear anything about unis that take retakes. Try to apply to kings though-
    Thank you for the advice! Just to clarify I haven't done any retakes.

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering how is everyone going to prep for interviews? If I get any (lol), I just wanted to find out if it is really worth purchasing any books? I purchased 3 books for the UKCAT and only really found 1 useful... Can't be bothered splashing out again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Was just wondering how is everyone going to prep for interviews? If I get any (lol), I just wanted to find out if it is really worth purchasing any books? I purchased 3 books for the UKCAT and only really found 1 useful... Can't be bothered splashing out again.
    I've got A Short Introduction to Medical Ethics, which is interesting and could help, and it's only about £5

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Gogregg;68063288]I've got A Short Introduction to Medical Ethics, which is interesting and could help, and it's only about £5 [/QUOTE
    Thanks! Going to invest in that ASAP. Are you a Scottish applicant? Btw how expensive are the books for this year tho? I need so many... lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna learn my personal statement inside out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    I'm gonna learn my personal statement inside out
    Haha same! I've not read my PS in like a week - it's strange considering I spent almost every day on it for like 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Going to invest in that ASAP. Are you a Scottish applicant? Btw how expensive are the books for this year tho? I need so many... lol
    Nope, I'm an RUK applicant
    Which books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Nope, I'm an RUK applicant
    Which books?
    Ahh okay.

Well I'm sitting 3 advanced highers this year and so far my total for books has exceeded £50 :/. And on top of that I was going to buy this other interview book but I think I'm just going to leave that and buy the medical ethics one because it's cheaper, lol. I'm not broke (nothing wrong with that) but I don't like asking my parents to buy me like 4 millions book but I guess I need them tbh. XD

ReputationRep:
    Haha same! I've not read my PS in like a week - it's strange considering I spent almost every day on it for like 3 weeks.
    I've put how I can do basic sign language and some medical sign language in my ps, which I can, but by the time it gets to interviews I may have forgotten it, so I'm defo gonna practice that

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay.

Well I'm sitting 3 advanced highers this year and so far my total for books has exceeded £50 :/. And on top of that I was going to buy this other interview book but I think I'm just going to leave that and buy the medical ethics one because it's cheaper, lol. I'm not broke (nothing wrong with that) but I don't like asking my parents to buy me like 4 millions book but I guess I need them tbh. XD
    That is a lot
    I think every other applicant in my school has the ISC interview practice book and I've seen it, but while it is very good, most the questions don't seem to be the type that will come up in MMI, and may only be relevant to panel interviews, which there are very few of nowadays?
    Besides, you don't want to sound like the authors of the ISC book, you want to sound like yourself, even if it isn't completely polished Just don't spout nonsense and know your ethics and recent medical news and we should be fine!

I'm the same! I feel dead awkward asking my parents to buy me all these prep books, especially since none of my brothers or sisters had these since they weren't applying for medicine or anything, but they're very understanding of it, but I still feel so awkward!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.sx)
    I've put how I can do basic sign language and some medical sign language in my ps, which I can, but by the time it gets to interviews I may have forgotten it, so I'm defo gonna practice that
    Omg no way! That is so freaking cool! I used to be able to use basic sign language because three of my cousins were deaf but since we moved away (and I don't see them much) all I can remember is the alphabet and how to say "my name is..." XD

ReputationRep:
    That is a lot
    I think every other applicant in my school has the ISC interview practice book and I've seen it, but while it is very good, most the questions don't seem to be the type that will come up in MMI, and may only be relevant to panel interviews, which there are very few of nowadays?
    Besides, you don't want to sound like the authors of the ISC book, you want to sound like yourself, even if it isn't completely polished Just don't spout nonsense and know your ethics and recent medical news and we should be fine!

I'm the same! I feel dead awkward asking my parents to buy me all these prep books, especially since none of my brothers or sisters had these since they weren't applying for medicine or anything, but they're very understanding of it, but I still feel so awkward!
    Haha, I agree I don't want to sound like I'm regurgitating random information. And yeah, I don't really know what would be a reliable and relevant source of recent medical news. If you have any suggestions that would be great...?
    I'm glad there's someone out there that can relate!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I agree I don't want to sound like I'm regurgitating random information. And yeah, I don't really know what would be a reliable and relevant source of recent medical news. If you have any suggestions that would be great...?
    I'm glad there's someone out there that can relate!
    The BBC News Health section is always good

ReputationRep:
    The BBC News Health section is always good
    Thanks! I'm sure you've probably mentioned this but what unis are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm sure you've probably mentioned this but what unis are you applying for?
    I'm applying to UEA, Barts and The London, Dundee and Newcastle, yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to UEA, Barts and The London, Dundee and Newcastle, yourself?
    Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee
    Good options! I actually really liked Aberdeen as well, but as an RUK applicant, I thought it was too risky to apply to 2 Scottish universities
    Which one is your favourite?

ReputationRep:
    Good options! I actually really liked Aberdeen as well, but as an RUK applicant, I thought it was too risky to apply to 2 Scottish universities
    Which one is your favourite?
    Tbh I really like Dundee but I don't really mind any of them as long as I get to do medicine. Wby? And yeah it is tougher as unis usually have a limit for people from outwith Scotland - I think, I'm not sure though. But I know a lot of RUK applicants are applying for Edinburgh because of their no-interview policy for undergrads but it's just making the competition more fierce at that uni which is why I don't think I'd have a good shot there but I like the uni itself.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I really like Dundee but I don't really mind any of them as long as I get to do medicine. Wby? And yeah it is tougher as unis usually have a limit for people from outwith Scotland - I think, I'm not sure though. But I know a lot of RUK applicants are applying for Edinburgh because of their no-interview policy for undergrads but it's just making the competition more fierce at that uni which is why I don't think I'd have a good shot there but I like the uni itself.
    I feel the same, but I do have preference for UEA and the Barts
    I was just wondering, really

I think 25% of medicine applicants at my school, and there are quite a few in my year, especially compared to previous years, are applying to Edinburgh, it is just so competitive there for RUK, though. Don't really know much about Scottish applicants, though, but I assume it's still difficult to get into

It seems like such a nice place, but I could never get in there, and I'm not a fan of their course anyway, but it's an amazing university and an amazing course!

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same, but I do have preference for UEA and the Barts
    I was just wondering, really

I think 25% of medicine applicants at my school, and there are quite a few in my year, especially compared to previous years, are applying to Edinburgh, it is just so competitive there for RUK, though. Don't really know much about Scottish applicants, though, but I assume it's still difficult to get into

It seems like such a nice place, but I could never get in there, and I'm not a fan of their course anyway, but it's an amazing university and an amazing course!
    Yeah, that seems pretty cool I don't think the idea of moving country appeals to me - especially if Scotland decide to go independent - again! It's almost certain you'll get an interview for Newcastle I mean your profile is exceptional tbqh.
    Only two people at my school are applying for medicine and I happen to be one of them lol. Yeah, hopefully the competition is not as fierce for Scottish applicants but I highly doubt this, it is medicine after all!
    I don't think I'm a strong contender for this year, realistically, but I'm motivated enough to re-apply. My academics are strong but UKCAT is...not great. XD
    But people with my UKCAT score have gotten into the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh but we shall see. It really is a gamble so I'm not going to cry about it on TSR lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.