Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got A* I could not believe it; yes I worked hard but it was all last-minute. I completely effed the presentation up too, humiliating myself in front of teachers and friends, but I suppose I did manage to pull it back together again after the first few mins. All in all, I'm very happy!

My tips for you guys:

-- Do it little and often. The EPQ is meant to be FUN. Being typical, I was unable to have fun because I procrastinated until about 2 weeks before the deadline and then had a nightmare trying to get it all together. So start early, and spread your workload!

-- Don't aim too high. My original idea was to do a chronology of China dating from the First Emperor's reign to modern times. In the end my project was composed of three 'artefacts' that between them only spanned about 40 years, and I didn't even do half of what I eventually settled to do! As long as you manage to tie your project up, it's fine to leave it in a state of 'unfinishedness' (the production log, evaluation and evidence of planning/organisation etc is more important)

-- That's another thing, try to be original. There were a lot of people who did the 5000 wd essays, but you could make a film, do a performance, make a sculpture etc. There's even a way to wangle sticking with the writing but doing less than 5000 words: do an 'artefact' instead of an essay. For me this meant writing a series of letters/ reports; my friend did a letter I think in Shakespearian hand and dialogue. Also try to avoid the cliches? Like the death penalty, abortion, euthanasia etc. I mean of course you can do excellent projects with those options, if you're really into it; it's just a little boring, and I have to say I yawned when I saw those titles on the presentation programme.

-- Prepare for the presentation. Unless you want to look really stupid. I made mine on the day it was supposed to be done (not recommended!!) and was a nervous gibbering wreck when I got up to present. I was going in there with the view to improvise, and did not do this well as I was unsure of the direction I was travelling in. Thankfully, I was able to get into the swing of things, and because I'd been doing a lot of research I think my knowledge of my topic and my passion for it started to show. Be alert for questions

-- Talk lots with friends and spark ideas off each other. That's how I got my ideas. And butter up your supervisor! I definitely think being on good terms with mine helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spepe)
    Wnt slightly over the limit with 11.000 words on Why Obama won the election in 2008
    Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Got my results for my EPQ today, A, 22 points. I've been told the points are to do with doing it as part of a diploma but...
    ...how do I convert the points into a UMS grade?
    I have no idea what I got out of 50, other than that it must be between 30 and 45. An it can't be double the points because some people have got 26 points. 24 points is an A* so I think it was a relatively high A?

Also hoping universities willlike the fact I did it in Year 11 and the first half term of Year 12...

ReputationRep:
    Starting mine tomorrow, can children be responsible for murder? Going to LOVE it. not a creep...

oh cheers for the bad rep.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are getting results?

Our deadline to hand them in is February 28th. I guess maybe there's cycles or whatever.
    Mine's going well so far. I'm doing it about autism - the causes and how they relate to the prevalence rise, mostly. I've done one and most of another out of four major chapters so far, so I'm pretty satisfied that I'll get it done, especially as I have half term to really get down to finishing it.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone starting - do something you know you'll enjoy. One of the main reasons mine is going so well is that it's by far my favourite thing to work on. I know if I wasn't so interested in the subject, I'd dread working on it, and therefore wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    Got my AQA EPQ result the other day, Grade B!

Mine was a 5000 word essay titled, "An investigative report into Turkey and their bid to join the European Union"

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm doing the structure for my essay:

TO EVALUATE THE VARIOUS FORMS OF SUSTAINABLE ENERGY

Intro
    Definitions that are in the title
    Why I am doing this project e.g. time, fossil feuls, sustainability, future generations

Main
    Type of sustainable energy
    How do you get it
    Where do you get it
    Who gets it
    Example
    Advantages + Disadvantages
    Repeat for all types of sustainable energy

Conclusion

does that sound right?
    can't say my teacher is helping at all ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    I need to decide what to for EPQ... i want to do something biology based... i need some controversial topics?
    I was thinking Organ donation, however i do not think i could write a lot about that.. what do people think?
    So i was thinking combining organ donation with things like the use of stem cells and genetic engineering.... what would i class these things as?

Any more ideas please!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I need to decide what to for EPQ... i want to do something biology based... i need some controversial topics?
    I was thinking Organ donation, however i do not think i could write a lot about that.. what do people think?
    So i was thinking combining organ donation with things like the use of stem cells and genetic engineering.... what would i class these things as?

Any more ideas please!

Thank you!

Please give me ideas here and not just refer me to the epq thread as that doesn't seem recieve many replies.. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys i need help deciding on what to for my epq. I want to go into medicine, dentistry or maybe chemistry in university but im not sure yet. Anyway i was thinking something along the lines of forensic identification(looking at using teeth/DNA to identify a body), forensic pathology(detemining cause of death) or something about rigor mortis(when a dead body goes stiff). Can you please help me and tell me if my ideas are ok and which ones the best to do the project about and maybe a title for it. Any help would really be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx)
    Got A* I could not believe it; yes I worked hard but it was all last-minute. I completely effed the presentation up too, humiliating myself in front of teachers and friends, but I suppose I did manage to pull it back together again after the first few mins. All in all, I'm very happy!

My tips for you guys:

-- Do it little and often. The EPQ is meant to be FUN. Being typical, I was unable to have fun because I procrastinated until about 2 weeks before the deadline and then had a nightmare trying to get it all together. So start early, and spread your workload!

-- Don't aim too high. My original idea was to do a chronology of China dating from the First Emperor's reign to modern times. In the end my project was composed of three 'artefacts' that between them only spanned about 40 years, and I didn't even do half of what I eventually settled to do! As long as you manage to tie your project up, it's fine to leave it in a state of 'unfinishedness' (the production log, evaluation and evidence of planning/organisation etc is more important)

-- That's another thing, try to be original. There were a lot of people who did the 5000 wd essays, but you could make a film, do a performance, make a sculpture etc. There's even a way to wangle sticking with the writing but doing less than 5000 words: do an 'artefact' instead of an essay. For me this meant writing a series of letters/ reports; my friend did a letter I think in Shakespearian hand and dialogue. Also try to avoid the cliches? Like the death penalty, abortion, euthanasia etc. I mean of course you can do excellent projects with those options, if you're really into it; it's just a little boring, and I have to say I yawned when I saw those titles on the presentation programme.

-- Prepare for the presentation. Unless you want to look really stupid. I made mine on the day it was supposed to be done (not recommended!!) and was a nervous gibbering wreck when I got up to present. I was going in there with the view to improvise, and did not do this well as I was unsure of the direction I was travelling in. Thankfully, I was able to get into the swing of things, and because I'd been doing a lot of research I think my knowledge of my topic and my passion for it started to show. Be alert for questions

-- Talk lots with friends and spark ideas off each other. That's how I got my ideas. And butter up your supervisor! I definitely think being on good terms with mine helped me.

Hey, congrats and thanks for the tips!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I'm now writing my EPQ essay and we've been told to use the "Havard Referencing System" but I'm not sure what I should reference. Do I refer every bit of information I've got from where I got it from? Sorry I'm a bit vague but if you could give me an idea of how you referenced in your essay that might help.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas for an EPQ based on Law & Sociology, or Legal Sociology (AKA 'sociology of law')? Don't need specific question ideas, just vague ideas of areas I could look into would be good. Nothing TOO heavily law based as I've never studied it; I am doing AS Sociology atm though.

I'm thinking maybe the legal sociology of prostitution? Any ideas on how I could expand on that?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campainr)
    Hi everyone. I'm now writing my EPQ essay and we've been told to use the "Havard Referencing System" but I'm not sure what I should reference. Do I refer every bit of information I've got from where I got it from? Sorry I'm a bit vague but if you could give me an idea of how you referenced in your essay that might help.
    Pretty much. You reference any information you got form other sources, whether it be a direct quote, or an idea, pictures etc. You also must reference if you get something and then write it in your own words.

ReputationRep:
    any ideas on a physics/chemistry EPQ? i dont do physics but was thinking of applying for NatSci so what hoping to do something not purely in chemistry to show that i have a wider base etcetc?

please help!

anyyonee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diesha)

Any more ideas please!

Thank you!
    Cloning, GM crops, Euthanasia, Should we ban some medicine, Creation of life etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started my EPQ but I've got a bit stuck writing my proposal, I just need some help on how to structure it.... :L
    Cheers...
    (btw I'm on AQA)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I also have a little problem, I am just doing my essay, to go with my Artefact, which is a trilingual children's book, and I am kind of stuck on how to write it, what am i supposed to incude and what should i attach as extra materials and notes?
    Is there like an example I could read from someone who has done this before me?
    Thank you!
    (btw I'm also on the AQA)

ReputationRep:
    I just did my presentation yesterday. I felt really nervous although I think that I did ok surprisingly. Public speaking is not my thing.
    Only the reflection to write and I'm all finished. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who did EPQ and got A* here? Tell us your secret?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.