UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
haven't been on here for a while but interesting to see sooooooooo many people with brilliant scores.
well done everyone
cucumber sandwich
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does UCAS really send your application before the 15th of October if you submit it early?
PeeWeeDan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When is the latest time the UKCAT can be done? Would late September be pushing it?
FFCrusader
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
When is the latest time the UKCAT can be done? Would late September be pushing it?
Apparently the last UKCAT testing date is the 10th October. Late September sounds alright, just makes sure you're registered by the 26th September.

Info from here
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
605 UKCAT where can I go!!!!!!!!!!!!
PeeWeeDan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm having real trouble with the UKCAT. I consider myself rather intelligent, although not extortionately, but I just can't seem to get the abstract reasoning. It all looks like random pictures to me. I seem to get about half of the sets and their general rules, but the others I just can't seem to get. Anyone else have this issue?
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
totally agree. got 550 ((.really struggled with it
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
Terror is officially taking over. I have never questioned my numeracy skills until I attempted the quantitative section on the UKCAT website!! Blimey they are tough. With my UKCAT a couple of days a way, does anyone have any advice about how I can improve my performance on this section??
-42-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From my past experience and also judging from what other people here have said, you can still get high scores on this section (i.e. 700+) even if you only complete 2/3 maximum of the actual questions but make sure that you do them right. The questions aren't actually too complicated (sometimes they can be worded strangely but it's nothing above Key Stage 3 really, KS4 max) but time is very stretched. So work quickly but carefully for as long as possible, then just guess the rest when you have 1-2 minutes less!

Best of luck,

--Dave
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
I'm having real trouble with the UKCAT. I consider myself rather intelligent, although not extortionately, but I just can't seem to get the abstract reasoning. It all looks like random pictures to me. I seem to get about half of the sets and their general rules, but the others I just can't seem to get. Anyone else have this issue?
yeah, it is hard. have you tried sitting going through the answers on the practice test, with the reasons for each answer? that was the thing i found most helpful....it gave me an idea of what to look for - i wasn't even thinking of half the things before that, so it helped me to think more laterally about it. also, look at the sets first, before you look at the one you have to decide about, because that'll let you concentrate more on the general rules, rather than being thrown....

(Original post by FizzyOrange)
Terror is officially taking over. I have never questioned my numeracy skills until I attempted the quantitative section on the UKCAT website!! Blimey they are tough. With my UKCAT a couple of days a way, does anyone have any advice about how I can improve my performance on this section??
First, don't stress about it. I found them ridiculously hard, but found the actual ones easier, though this may just be me. Also, i hadn't done maths in Year 12, so (my excuse is!) i was a bit out of touch. Before the test, i just revised basic maths - percentages, ratios, etc...theres a list on the list of resources on here, and found that was all i needed....i did fine in the end, really.
but honestly, the best thing i could say is don't worry about it - positive thinking will make it seem much easier!

both of you, sorry if this is utterly no use to you....at the end of the day though, don't worry about it...everyone finds different sections tougher than others, and you can't really practice that much of it. adrenaline will be your friend on the day, too! good luck, hope it goes well for you
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
Thanks dave and jenifaar for the advice! You guys are right, i bet half of the test is about confidence and positivity!!

xxx
mahmud_2000
Report 10 years ago
2007 Average - 592.5

2008 Average - 610

Now to decide whether I can actually afford to go to a university outside London
Danielisew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mahmud_2000)
2007 Average - 592.5

2008 Average - 610

Now to decide whether I can actually afford to go to a university outside London
I thought the ones IN London were more expensive as it's such a large city..?
mahmud_2000
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
I thought the ones IN London were more expensive as it's such a large city..?
Not if i'm living at home, don't have the grades for a London uni though.
Chrrams
Report 10 years ago
I did mine today...

VR: 700
QR: 770
AR: 780
DA: 800

Average: 762.5

I'm quite pleased, especially as I only answered 14 questions in QR!
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chrrams)
I did mine today...

Well done, you should be very pleased! Where abouts you applying?
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chrrams)
I did mine today...

Congratulations!
Chrrams
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
Congratulations!
Thanks! Well done yourself on your UKCAT; one of the highest I've seen
ajdj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
holy sh**! thats one impressive score and your sig speaks for itself!
ajdj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrDomDom)
EITHER: we are on a board where everyone is a genius, which it really does seem like sometimes or we are on a board with liars, which I dont think is the case...

Some of these scores are ridiculously high...i hope you lot are anoraks to give us mortals a chance! :P
true..I think anyone who's taken some time to visit a forum, do research, etc. before actually applying for such a competitive course as medicine has a good chance of getting in. I'm guessing this but of all 2009 medics on here 80-90% will probably get at least one offer. The rest of the people that apply are either so smart and confident that they don't even come on here or really have no idea about the course at all.
And I'm saying this from what I have seen at events such as pure potential which I went to at imperial. In a room of 100 people 70 were girls and of those 70, 50 were covered up muslim girls which probably just had the grades. now nothing against their religion or so (i'm a "muslim" myself) but they really had no idea about any admissions test and that there are many of them, and this in an event which is targeted at hopeful medics. The guys in the room were mostly black and addressed the doctor as "bruv" :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads