Maths Uni Chat Watch

Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
And yes, I base all of my big decisions on dreams like a certain Ramanujan does.
Are you comparing yourself to Ramanujan? Seriously dude, you get more and more laughable with every post.

Now for my own mathematical whinging; linear algebra makes less and less sense with every lecture, and I have two weeks to write three programs in MatLab and I have absolutely no idea what to do with them. Guuuuurgh.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by ste0731)
What was with your little run down oxford road earlier? I was at bus stop and saw you do a little 10metre sprint and then carry on walking slowly :eek3:

I can't comment on sleep deprivation as I'm SUCH a morning person, so I'm wide awake at 7am :p: That's how I can do a quick workout =) Don't think I've played the zelda, what you playing it on, DS? I've got a zelda installed on PC, should play that more as it's a least bit puzzling instead of shooting terrorists and stuff which probably doesn't help my brain

What speech?

multiple integrals are easy, I'm struggling on the erm beginning of calc, vectors and a bit of partial derivs. Some of the notation is confusing me, but nothing major.

The proof that they are either equal or disjoint was a google job for me I'm afraid, but I did understand it in the end although I did make a small error. Your postgrad seems really picky :| Everyone makes small errors, but then again assuming an element = coset is quite stupid :rolleyes:

Which bit of 4iii? I assume you had no trouble rewriting it in the required form yn+1=4y(y- somet) or whatever the form was required. The last bit I just wrote that as sin^2 is periodic between 0 and 1 therefore if Yo is between 0 and 1 then the difference equation will be repeated, and if Yo lies outside 0 and 1 then it won't. I don't think thats correct but was the only idea I had. some other groups are saying if Yo is pi or pi/2 or a multiple of, but thats definitely incorrect. :?

PS: Don't use wiki for mandelbrot, it's SH*T! QUick google search and you get much better basic explanations. An interesting 1/4 of a page to write is about how mandelbrot sets can be used to calculate a rough estimation of pi. I found that quite intrigueing and you can add a little table to pad out your essay if your short of stuff to write :p:
Thats how I run normally. Only in short bursts.

Well, if it is the game a link to the past then don't. As its really horrible game. I should stop playing it. I will get CS when I go home.

Actually, everything from that chapter makes perfect sense to me now. The notation isn't that difficult just remeber what the special d does and maybe definition of grad, curl and div. I don't find notation difficult to understand, its more that I don't like vectors.

If I understood it I would comment but lol 4(ii). I don't really understand week 1, just copied it.

P.S. I'M USING it now. Is it sexist for me to think that women are marking the thing easier?
ste0731
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tempted today to stick £50 on blackpool game, to pay for amsterdam if they win. Look a great price vs preston. Will decide later on tonight whether to go for it or not...

Thats how I run normally. Only in short bursts.

Well, if it is the game a link to the past then don't. As its really horrible game. I should stop playing it. I will get CS when I go home.

Actually, everything from that chapter makes perfect sense to me now. The notation isn't that difficult just remeber what the special d does and maybe definition of grad, curl and div. I don't find notation difficult to understand, its more that I don't like vectors.

If I understood it I would comment but lol 4(ii). I don't really understand week 1, just copied it.

P.S. I'M USING it now. Is it sexist for me to think that women are marking the thing easier?
:o: short bursts ftw!

you see I have no idea what grad,curl and div are. It didn't sink in. Not keen on new lecture tbh.

4ii i have no idea. R is between 0 and 4, i know that. No idea how to get that.

And yes that is sexist :p: Gender of the marker has very little effect imo. If anything women are usually worse :mad:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
Are you comparing yourself to Ramanujan? Seriously dude, you get more and more laughable with every post.

Now for my own mathematical whinging; linear algebra makes less and less sense with every lecture, and I have two weeks to write three programs in MatLab and I have absolutely no idea what to do with them. Guuuuurgh.
Well, no. I'm nothing like Ramanujan.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Tempted today to stick £50 on blackpool game, to pay for amsterdam if they win. Look a great price vs preston. Will decide later on tonight whether to go for it or not...

:o: short bursts ftw!

you see I have no idea what grad,curl and div are. It didn't sink in. Not keen on new lecture tbh.

4ii i have no idea. R is between 0 and 4, i know that. No idea how to get that.

And yes that is sexist :p: Gender of the marker has very little effect imo. If anything women are usually worse :mad:
Don't do it.

The physical interpretation of curl and div are a bit weak. Curl is sort of like rotations and div is I don't know what. I will ask my calculus teacher on Thursday. Its like the what the hell is the dot product all over again..

I will work on it when my flatmate has written up his notes so I can copy him, his is lazy. Yes, I know its hypocritical of me to say it, but I can't be bothered to learn linear algebra so I can do the question without handwaving.

Yeah, women. I bet it does. Well, it depends what time of the month she marks the coursework.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't do it.

The physical interpretation of curl and div are a bit weak. Curl is sort of like rotations and div is I don't know what. I will ask my calculus teacher on Thursday. Its like the what the hell is the dot product all over again..

I will work on it when my flatmate has written up his notes so I can copy him, his is lazy. Yes, I know its hypocritical of me to say it, but I can't be bothered to learn linear algebra so I can do the question without handwaving.

Yeah, women. I bet it does. Well, it depends what time of the month she marks the coursework.
I'll read into it all on thursday, do some revision I guess.

whos your flatmate, didn't know you had a flatmate who did maths.

and lol xD I guess thats why my first essay got crap marks then! :p:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
I'll read into it all on thursday, do some revision I guess.

whos your flatmate, didn't know you had a flatmate who did maths.

and lol xD I guess thats why my first essay got crap marks then! :p:
Well, you might be able to calculate the time of the month she has the periods by assuming that a worse mark is due to it. But, that suffers from a lot of problems.

Sean. There are to many white people for you to notice him.

Hmm. Maybe. I haven't got more than 60% on any of my essays. Luckly, this means jack.
Glutamic Acid
Report 9 years ago
Numbers and sets was my favourite course (despite Worster not lecturing it); and example sheet 4 my most favourite sheet. I like groups, but ever since group actions arose I've felt massively behind, and I attended a lot of lectures even though I didn't... well, get much from them. Worster's clarity (and to a minuscule extent the course in general) has made DEs interesting yet understandable, and example sheets were neither as dull as doing nothing forever, nor as painful as being shot in the stomach, but instead a healthy mix of a pleasant walk in the park with a go on the swings. Hmm, wasn't there another course? Oh, vectors and matrices.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, you might be able to calculate the time of the month she has the periods by assuming that a worse mark is due to it. But, that suffers from a lot of problems.

Sean. There are to many white people for you to notice him.

Hmm. Maybe. I haven't got more than 60% on any of my essays. Luckly, this means jack.
lmfao, i got 2 and 2.5 so far. Suprising tbh. expecting at least 3 for this although I've not fully explained the fractal bit, just waffled about mandelbrot.

Anyway, just put £55 onto betfair :o: time for a happy ste or very annoyed ste :eek3:

First goal. £3 @ 8.2
31 - 40 Minutes
£21.60 profit.

EDIT OMG BLACKPOOL SCORED! NOT EVEN GOT MY BET ON! /rant ARGH
Simba
Report 9 years ago
and div is I don't know what.
Divergence has lots of uses. One of the most common is that it arises in all sorts of maths in conservation equations. For example:

In QM (conservation of probability):

\displaystyle \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot j = 0

In fluid dynamics (conservation of mass):

\displaystyle \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho u) = 0
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simba)
Divergence has lots of uses. One of the most common is that it arises in all sorts of maths in conservation equations. For example:

In QM (conservation of probability):

\displaystyle \frac{\partial p}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot j = 0

In fluid dynamics (conservation of mass):

\displaystyle \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho u) = 0
Well, I will look up conservation equation as I think it came up in a past exam paper on calculus and vectors. But, yeah I can't really visualize both of the situations so still don't have a clear idear of what div is.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Think of a fluid. Div is the tendency of stuff to flow in or out. Curl is the tendency to swirl around. The direction is the axis of rotation and the magnitude is how much it's rotating. I like to think of them as del dot/cross.
My Alt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lecturer sense of Humour:

1.) Cowley, something nearing what I might have expected out of an eccentric Cambridge lecturer
2.) Saxl is actually quite amusing, his moments of humour, interspersed with just-about-comprehendable lecture were awesome. (Would love to have a drink with Saxl)
3.) Worster, leaving cheese moment was good, as was the mouse question on DE3 and the exponential function having an asymptote at 100.

~.) Thomason, not on the scale, just weird

Sex Appeal

1.) Worster - "Eigenfunction forcing"
2.) Saxl - "Exotic foreigner"
3.) Cowley - because
4.) Thomason - I dunno the slave trade just really doesn't get me going

Most Czech

1.) Worster
2.) Thomason
3.) Cowley
Glutamic Acid
Report 9 years ago
Hmm, I would rate Thomason as the funniest.
sonofdot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by My Alt)
(Would love to have a drink with Saxl)
:proud:

You should correct him in lectures, then he'll buy you a beer
Simba
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
Hmm, I would rate Thomason as the funniest.
Mmm, Thomason was pretty awesome with his humour (he made analysis semi-bearable last year for me :p: ), but Cowley was really funny too in my opinion. It seems that people either love Cowley or loathe him... He hates Sarah Palin, so he automatically wins lots of Simba points .

I've not had Saxl as a lecturer myself, but I've heard he's not very good from a few people .

You guys are lucky, you've got Paternain next term ! He's such a fantastic lecturer, and he's my DoS too this year!

There seem to be an awful lot of you guys in IA, and not many at all in IB. How have you all found the first term ? Enjoying it? Easy/hard?
around
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sonofdot)
:proud:

You should correct him in lectures, then he'll buy you a beer
what srs
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cowley said "I like this person" about me
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simba)
There seem to be an awful lot of you guys in IA, and not many at all in IB. How have you all found the first term ? Enjoying it? Easy/hard?
There are quite a few TSRians in IB, but I don't think many of them are active anymore
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I came across some work Saxl did last night when looking for stuff about representations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads