The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lumi Nous
I've been told to arrive on Tuesday 4th October! Kind of awkward because my parents will be at work so can't drive all my stuff over...

If you get in touch with your college they should be able to arrange for you to come a few days early if necessary.
Original post by Lumi Nous
I've been told to arrive on Tuesday 4th October! Kind of awkward because my parents will be at work so can't drive all my stuff over...

as philosopher-of-sorts said, if you email the college it may be possible for you to arrive a few days early. freshers were supposed to arrive at LMH on monday but because i had a pre-term course thing I had to arrive on sunday instead, but I just called the college and they were fine with it (as according to our accommodation agreements i technically had paid for my room on the sunday night anyway). lots of international students arrive a few days early so you won't be alone!

the other option is just to take whatever you can carry with you on the train to arrive on tuesday and have your parents bring the rest of your stuff at the weekend/whenever they're available.
Original post by victoire
the other option is just to take whatever you can carry with you on the train to arrive on tuesday and have your parents bring the rest of your stuff at the weekend/whenever they're available.

Seems totally sensible to me: You won't need that much for the first few days anyway. Laptop, a few changes of clothes, toothbrush....

It will also give you a couple of days to check out your room and see what you really need and have space for, before your folks come down at the weekend.

:sheep:
Reply 1443
Now we have instructions on what day to arrive, it feels real for the first time.

Scary stuff.
Reply 1444
Original post by Mann18
Now we have instructions on what day to arrive, it feels real for the first time.

Scary stuff.

From here, or from Oxford? Merton hasn't been telling us anything. :/
Original post by dbmag9

Teddy Hall, I believe.
Reply 1446
Is there anyone else with an open offer starting to feel a longing for a college?
Reply 1447
Original post by dbmag9

Original post by micky022
Teddy Hall, I believe.

My learned friend is quite correct. I guess you guys will get info shortly though.

What did you think of the email? I'm raring to go now.
Original post by Mann18
My learned friend is quite correct. I guess you guys will get info shortly though.

What did you think of the email? I'm raring to go now.

I'm fairly excited; got a lot on at the minute like. Revision, exercise, birthday coming up, Army application on the go... Still, I like being busy.

If you go on the Teddy Hall Facebook group there's a link for a Freshers' guide; stuff to bring/expect etc. Unless you've already been on... this is like A Scanner Darkly :tongue:
Original post by Sempiternitas
I use that excuse as well! And I played some Beethoven today. (It was the Pathetique - it was an absolute work out. And I could be playing the Tempest sonata in the middle of a blizzard and still end up drenched in sweat.) What were you playing?

I played the Pathetique yesterday, amazing piece :love: but yeah it's one you need loads of energy for, it's not what I'd go for if I wanted restful piano playing!!
Reply 1450
Haha, says "ChopinNocturne" :wink: None of those are entirely restful at all...
Reply 1451
I was just wondering, has anyone from Mansfield had any information sent to them, I haven't really heard anything since January and was getting a bit concerned!
Original post by TAPSmith
I was just wondering, has anyone from Mansfield had any information sent to them, I haven't really heard anything since January and was getting a bit concerned!

I'm not, but I haven't heard anything from Queen's except for a list of Latin words I need to learn (which is obviously subject specific)

Hi, hope you are well? Don't worry, I haven't heard a thing from Mansfield yet either.
Reply 1454
Original post by riotgrrl
I'm not, but I haven't heard anything from Queen's except for a list of Latin words I need to learn (which is obviously subject specific)

It's really strange how all the different colleges have such different policies, my friend at LMH has received information about accomodation, is being sent reading lists and various other things, I would have thought that the colleges would have had a more standardised procedure.
Reply 1455
Original post by shoshin
Hi, hope you are well? Don't worry, I haven't heard a thing from Mansfield yet either.

I'm fine, although the fact that exams are now only 3 weeks away is beginning to dawn on me, with my most important one being first, I suppose all the colleges have entirely different proceduces, I just wanted to check that I hadn't been put on a mailing list or some such problem. How have you been?
It's really strange how all the different colleges have such different policies, my friend at LMH has received information about accomodation, is being sent reading lists and various other things, I would have thought that the colleges would have had a more standardised procedure.

Yeah, I'd really like some info on all that sort of stuff.
I just wanted to check that I hadn't been put on a mailing list or some such problem. How have you been?

I keep having 'orrible nightmares that firming on UCAS wasn't enough and that there's some extra step i should have executed direct with the college: 'Sorry, too late now, you'll have to apply again next year' :eek:

I'm fine thanks. Good luck with the exams, you'll be there in October for sure. :thumbsup:
Original post by riotgrrl
Yeah, I'd really like some info on all that sort of stuff.

If you're really worried about stuff, then just email the college and ask. They won't mind or mock you for it - they are generally really friendly. But as people have said, if you haven't received anything, they'll just sort it out for you.. which is far easier! I know that Hilda's are in the process of assigning college parents at the moment, and it might be the same at other colleges.. last year we received a postcard from our parents around this time which was cool.
Original post by pinstriped.flower
If you're really worried about stuff, then just email the college and ask. They won't mind or mock you for it - they are generally really friendly. But as people have said, if you haven't received anything, they'll just sort it out for you.. which is far easier! I know that Hilda's are in the process of assigning college parents at the moment, and it might be the same at other colleges.. last year we received a postcard from our parents around this time which was cool.

I'll just wait, I'm sure I'll get it all in due course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending