June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics Watch

rosslemmon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
Its not always a gel, it can be an oil.
any substance that impedance matches - gel, oil, or otherwise.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rosslemmon)
They referred to it as the coupling gel.
rockz1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TobeTheHero)
what rule did you use?
Flemmings LFH rule. Sorry for the late reply
Rosieretops
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
Sorry, I think I missed something. Could someone please explain what the errors in the paper were? I must have missed them.
On question 3 they gave one of the distances in cm and not m. Personally I didn't notice when I did the question as all the rest were in m I assumed it was. However, someone also sitting the exam told the invigilators and then they came round and told everyone individually which was pretty distracting :P
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rosslemmon)
Yes. The mark here will be for 'impedance matching' not for using the word gel, oil or whatever.
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChoYunEL)
Apparently, the examination officer at some centres got a phone call from OCR saying that 0.05cm was the correct value.

This is what I've heard.
Really? Apparently our centre received no word from OCR, despite this being the 3rd AS/A level exam in 2 weeks at my school to have errors in.

Our Physics teachers were looking at the paper and told the head of exams to tell everyone to change it to 'm', (didn't help the fact I'd already wasted 10 mins as I actually read the question and noticed that my answer would always be out by a power of 2 if I used the text, but I thought I'd persevere as I thought I'd done something wrong anyway (I hadn't grrrrrr) and I could see the next question depended on my answer.)
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Has everyone read this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13857911

Apparently, OCR have "apologised" for their mistake :nothing:

There's also a slot at the bottom to fill in if you would like to be interviewed about the mistakes :sexface:
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will anything happen though?
hannah721
Report 7 years ago
Got this back from OCR today...

Thank you for your recent e-mail in which you commented on the G485 (Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics) examination paper. We are very sorry to read of your concerns and would like to assure you that OCR continually monitors all aspects of the assessment in light of feedback and the experiences of students. We hope you can appreciate that it is not possible for us to respond to specific points raised by individual students, but we can assure you that your comments will be passed on to those responsible for Unit G485.

Clara Kenyon
Qualifications Director
EmperorMustard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannah721)

Thank you for your recent e-mail in which you commented on the G485 (Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics) examination paper. We are very sorry to read of your concerns and would like to assure you that OCR continually monitors all aspects of the assessment in light of feedback and the experiences of students. We hope you can appreciate that it is not possible for us to respond to specific points raised by individual students, but we can assure you that your comments will be passed on to those responsible for Unit G485.

Clara Kenyon
Qualifications Director
Yep I got this exact same response as well
k9markiii
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomdebs)
i know that its frustrating for some ppl that didnt get extra time especially those who the paper didnt go so well for but i feel 10 mins extra wouldnt affect the grade boundries because although the time helped some ppl....i managed to convince myself during that time that a few of my correct answes were wrong and i ended up changing those values...too much time can also be detrimental to those who finished early.
look at the situation objectively and dont blame the whole world for your shortcomings in one paper...OCR messed up agreed but atleast we dont have to deal with them again
We got no extra time. I could have used that time to check.
pianofluteftw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannah721)

Clara Kenyon
Qualifications Director
Yep same as me
k9markiii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OneInSolidarity)
You should edit this to make it sound like 'be generous to those who didn't get extra time' not 'punish those who didn't'. I for one got 5 minutes extra, and I can promise you that 5 minutes was about adequate for the time that these errors wasted. I also sympathize with your anger as many centres got 10-15 minutes extra, time in which they could have been checking/completing other questions.
It really depends I didn't notice the difference initially. I was looking at the diagram and assumed I had already converted from cm into m.
k9markiii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Soppe)
Hey you sure this is for ocr b advancing physics?
no. physics a.
k9markiii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EmperorMustard)
What do people reckon the raw mark boundary will be for a B?
A Raw mark of 65 I would guess.
pianofluteftw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomdebs)
i know that its frustrating for some ppl that didnt get extra time especially those who the paper didnt go so well for but i feel 10 mins extra wouldnt affect the grade boundries because although the time helped some ppl....i managed to convince myself during that time that a few of my correct answes were wrong and i ended up changing those values...too much time can also be detrimental to those who finished early.
look at the situation objectively and dont blame the whole world for your shortcomings in one paper...OCR messed up agreed but atleast we dont have to deal with them again
I'm behind you on this. I for one wasted so much time on the question with the error, yet I would never want another candidate to suffer for something that was out of everyone's control (well apart from OCR)

I didn't get extra time because of the error, but because of noise disturbance that was above the 'appropriate threshold' of backround noise, thus no I did not get extra time on account of the error. But I will never hold a grudge against those that did.
I do not believe grade boundaries will be raised due to some centres having extra time due to an error - in most cases in the past where errors have occured they just discount the question.

People should view this objectively - why should those that did get extra time (of which I myself am not one) be penalised for something that was out of their control? I have complained to OCR because frankly the mistake was unacceptable, however I do not think we are in a position to comment on how the matter should be resolved, unless people can view the mistake objectively.
jamedz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by k9markiii)
A Raw mark of 65 I would guess.
On the jan 11 and june 10 this has been an A, so it could be a borderline A/B
jthmpsn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The exta time was mostly for the interruption to make up for time lost as well
Tphys
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tallied up my marks, think I got ~67/100, more than I expected. I reckon that'll be a mid-high B, which means I gotta get a high A in G484 on Monday for an overall A. Oh boy...
MarieLyon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i meesed up one of my questions because there was a mistake in the paper!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.63%
No - but I will (29)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (229)
47.51%

Watched Threads