Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    In case someone missed this:

Oh Strax - everyones' favourite potato.

:cute:
    Awww thanks I hadnt seen that. Strax is hilair :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    I loved the final episode, but the ending reveal was a huge anti-climax.

The build up was beautiful, and the 'reveal' part made no sense to me.

If anyone wishes to aware me on this, i would be grateful misc.
    John Hurt is a past version of the Doctor. Speculation is still about as to what he actually did, but I think it has almost been confirmed he was the Doctor during the time war, which makes him the true 9th Doctor and Matt the 12th.

What the Doctor's big secret is is still up for grabs - whether it's just the fact that he regenerated or the atrocities he did or whatever else it may be is still up for question.

(Original post by Sherlockedd)
    Awww thanks I hadnt seen that. Strax is hilair :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite agree. :cute:

It's sad to know he dies though... Assuming his death/the battle was a fixed point in time, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    The best Doctor (Pertwee) in my favourite classic Who episode...

Absolute favourite as a child.

It sounded a bit like the dalek was singing at the end of that clip :rofl:

"Ay ay ayyayyyayyyayy ayyyy......."

Brilliant clip from a brilliant episode!

Another funny clip :

ReputationRep:
    Found this blog post and it puts perfectly into words how I feel about seasons 5 - 7 of Doctor Who. Almost feel like crying now :/
    http://stfu-moffat.tumblr.com/post/3...-little-sister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonrage973)
    Found this blog post and it puts perfectly into words how I feel about seasons 5 - 7 of Doctor Who. Almost feel like crying now :/
    http://stfu-moffat.tumblr.com/post/3...-little-sister
    To me it seems like a generic 21 year old just wanting to bash and thinking being negative and swearing is cool.

Also the fact he calls them "seasons"(thats what Americans call things) and thinks it has ruined what he liked in his childhood means he doestn seem to realise Dr Who existed before as many people think NU Who has destroyed what they liked in their childhood.

Quite funny how he bases everything on how a 11 year old finds it hard to understand when many shows aimed at kids that age treat kids like they have a below average iq and he complains this one is too complex! Also funny to act if pre series 5 took a long time to finish its stories when people are complaining how Moffat drags his stories on! Also old who had long story arcs, generally 4 episodes for 1 story and 7-10 for the older ones!

It's SERIES 7 not SEASON 7! dont think of that as trolling but the boxsets themselves say SERIES on them, season is the Americanisation of things.

Now I think Matt Smiths Doctor is a bit strange but I was fed up of David Tennant by the end, though if MS was in Ecclesons series he would of been great in that.

ReputationRep:
    I've never quite understood the sheer level of Moffat bashing from fans. It hasn't been perfect-series 6 was a confusing mess and I don't agree with the no two parters/split series idea but the quality of the show is still high. The latest series finale is probably the best since the revival.

People seem to view RTD's reign with rose-tinted glasses-Series 4 was brilliant but some parts of series 2 and 1 are far poorer than what is currently being produced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wegan2)
    I've never quite understood the sheer level of Moffat bashing from fans. It hasn't been perfect-series 6 was a confusing mess and I don't agree with the no two parters/split series idea but the quality of the show is still high. The latest series finale is probably the best since the revival.

People seem to view RTD's reign with rose-tinted glasses-Series 4 was brilliant but some parts of series 2 and 1 are far poorer than what is currently being produced.
    Surely that's a matter of perspective? I know that I have been bored by at least 50% of the episodes this series whereas in previous series I can't think of more than a handful of episodes that I didn't enjoy. In fact, the only one I can think of off the top of my head was the one with Peter Kay in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I don't think the finale was the absolute best of the revival, but otherwise I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Well in the end it's all down to personal opinion. For example in Classic Who Colin Baker's first season is one of my favourites which isn't the usual view!

I really enjoyed the last series except for The Rings of Akhaten and Nightmare in Silver whereas in series 2 I watched again recently and really didn't like it-only enjoyed about 3 episodes!
    And Love & monsters (Peter Kay) is not one I enjoyed!

ReputationRep:
    Well in the end it's all down to personal opinion. For example in Classic Who Colin Baker's first season is one of my favourites which isn't the usual view!

I really enjoyed the last series except for The Rings of Akhaten and Nightmare in Silver whereas in series 2 I watched again recently and really didn't like it-only enjoyed about 3 episodes!
    Interestingly i thought the 'Nightmare in silver' was the best since the Pandorica and that's despite having no battle.

ReputationRep:
    Visually I thought it looked great I just couldn't warm to the story at all. The characters except Warwick Davies just seemed wasted and I felt there was a lack of cybermen.
    I think a lot of people (me included) had very high standards considering the words 'Neil Gaiman' and 'cybermen' associated with an episode and I felt it just didn't deliver.

ReputationRep:

With me Colin Baker is a bit more on the hate side than like, he was a bit too hammy in his acting and it felt like it didnt suit the scripts he had, if he toned it down it would of been better and also a better costume and more than 1 companion as Peri never seemed to get any plot development.

I generally liked the trial apart from the trial segments.

I liked Mccoys Doctor but he was let down by the low budget and his plots could of had a little more development or not shoved in one episode I loved how dark Doc 7 could be.

ReputationRep:
    Run you clever boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Run you clever boy.
    What are you implying? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    What are you implying? :holmes:
    Spoilers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    To me it seems like a generic 21 year old just wanting to bash and thinking being negative and swearing is cool.

Also the fact he calls them "seasons"(thats what Americans call things) and thinks it has ruined what he liked in his childhood means he doestn seem to realise Dr Who existed before as many people think NU Who has destroyed what they liked in their childhood.

Quite funny how he bases everything on how a 11 year old finds it hard to understand when many shows aimed at kids that age treat kids like they have a below average iq and he complains this one is too complex! Also funny to act if pre series 5 took a long time to finish its stories when people are complaining how Moffat drags his stories on! Also old who had long story arcs, generally 4 episodes for 1 story and 7-10 for the older ones!

It's SERIES 7 not SEASON 7! dont think of that as trolling but the boxsets themselves say SERIES on them, season is the Americanisation of things.

Now I think Matt Smiths Doctor is a bit strange but I was fed up of David Tennant by the end, though if MS was in Ecclesons series he would of been great in that.
    Ok first of all, calling them series/seasons isn't really that big of a deal because they both make sense. However saying "would of" instead of "would've" is just bad grammar. It's my most hated grammar mistake that people constantly make because they just say what they hear when people don't pronounce their words properly.

I think most people would agree that Steven Moffat does not drag his stories out too long. He just leaves big intervals between them. It's been years since series 2 of Sherlock and only now are they filming series 3. So he can't use that excuse for spacing out Doctor Who episodes so far apart and making us wait so long for episodes that aren't even worth it. He makes everything happen too fast, like breaking up Amy and Rory in Asylum of the Daleks and then bringing them back all in the space of 45 minutes before we even get a chance to care about it.

Also the fact that an 11 year old picked up on the bad writing and plots just strengthens his argument. And I've heard a LOT of bad critique about Moffat's episodes, and it just seems to be getting worse. Why is he not listening to his audience and improve it?

Most people prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith, not because he's a better actor - it's because the quality of writing went downhill from when MS started. And that's all Moffat's fault.
    So yeah that's me defending the article... ok.

ReputationRep:
    Ok first of all, calling them series/seasons isn't really that big of a deal because they both make sense. However saying "would of" instead of "would've" is just bad grammar. It's my most hated grammar mistake that people constantly make because they just say what they hear when people don't pronounce their words properly.

I think most people would agree that Steven Moffat does not drag his stories out too long. He just leaves big intervals between them. It's been years since series 2 of Sherlock and only now are they filming series 3. So he can't use that excuse for spacing out Doctor Who episodes so far apart and making us wait so long for episodes that aren't even worth it. He makes everything happen too fast, like breaking up Amy and Rory in Asylum of the Daleks and then bringing them back all in the space of 45 minutes before we even get a chance to care about it.

Also the fact that an 11 year old picked up on the bad writing and plots just strengthens his argument. And I've heard a LOT of bad critique about Moffat's episodes, and it just seems to be getting worse. Why is he not listening to his audience and improve it?

Most people prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith, not because he's a better actor - it's because the quality of writing went downhill from when MS started. And that's all Moffat's fault.
    I think the dragging stories too long was for instance the voice which sounded when the Tardis was blown up (still not fully explained). There are other things - the Silence were meant to be a big bad, yet they appeared in the opener, they kind of ran through series 6 loosely, River was meant to kill the Doctor, she poisoned him, then was forced to kill him at the end of the series, after that they seem to have disappeared, not being surprised at all that the doctor is disappearing from computers, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I think the dragging stories too long was for instance the voice which sounded when the Tardis was blown up (still not fully explained). There are other things - the Silence were meant to be a big bad, yet they appeared in the opener, they kind of ran through series 6 loosely, River was meant to kill the Doctor, she poisoned him, then was forced to kill him at the end of the series, after that they seem to have disappeared, not being surprised at all that the doctor is disappearing from computers, etc etc.
    The Silence thought the Doctor was dead so they don't really need to appear and I know that they really should because they were the big bad but I think thats because they haven't gotten as big a reception as Moffat hoped and watch out for the Tardis voice thing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think that will be explained in the 50th because Omega is apparently returning the villain a lot of fans thought was behind the entire thing
    -it definitely wasn't the Silents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    The Silence thought the Doctor was dead so they don't really need to appear and I know that they really should because they were the big bad but I think thats because they haven't gotten as big a reception as Moffat hoped and watch out for the Tardis voice thing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think that will be explained in the 50th because Omega is apparently returning the villain a lot of fans thought was behind the entire thing
    -it definitely wasn't the Silents.
    If the doctor is dead, why is everything about him disappearing?
    If the voice is explained in the 50th, that is certainly a long running story line.

ReputationRep:

Just personal opinon though as I like a lot of Classic Who far better than Nu Who purely as new episodes feel too rushed with the Doctor waving his magic wand and its all over, and every series ends with a deux ex machina as for my grammar I dont make much effort online as its not as if I am marked on it and I also have disablities

A 11 year old picking up on "bad" writing does not really say much as she could of just gone by her older brothers reactions and since she didnt like it it was bad writing.

Look at the title of the article, it basically is an attack on Moffat just because they don't like his writing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.