Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hope this really is the summer where we spend big and on big players. Haven't felt this excited about an Arsenal close season for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    If this is true, what a masive deal.

Always felt Puma were one massive deal away. They make really great kits albeit a bit on the tight side. Just have a look at the African kits they make.
    Design is fantastic really. Much better than Nike imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Well, Usmanov has been quite critical of Stan and his lack of ambition within the league/the fact that seems to be turning Arsenal into a 'feeder club', which does imply he has more influence than you'd expect - he also mentioned at one point "everything is in Kroenke'shands." It's also often been the case where your top players have left for other clubs - e.g, apparently it's Kroenke's fault totally and not Wengy's that Nasri left to City - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...l-stan-kroenke. (Obviously they also get frustrated at the fact that they never win anything).

--
    You can go ahead and just ignore anything that comes out of Usmanov's mouth. He's spouting out palavers to try and gain as much as he can from the unrest and 'disenfranchisement' us fans are feeling towards the club bord atm. He's in a lovely position where he can promise anything, however stupid it is, it'll come off positive. The media are obviously more than willing to provide a medium from his palaver.

I promise you that the Nasri story eventhough its technically right (I imagined that Wenger was unwilling to let him go but knew he had to and just had to accept it for what it was), it is a load of bull (and one that we've covered loads)- FACT of the matter is that there was a contract on the table for nasri throughout the season but he didn't sign one and wanted a big payday. He was willing to to see out his contract and leave on a free which would've been stupid from our POV and we couldn't afford to let him go on a Bosman. Even SAF after United had given up bidding for him virtually said it'd be stupid if we didn't sell him.

Don't forget that we are dealing with Wenger here- a man who was said that the day Arsenal hire a sport director is the day before he leaves the club. Wouldn't call Wenger a dictator though and Kroneke I feel is a really decent owner.

Also, the 'Arsenal are a feeder club' line is so wrong. Name me a player who was under contract (in terms of transfer dealing, 2 years plus) that we unwillingly sold (Cesc doesn't been the caveat here). If the Bosman rule didn't exist, I'm sure that RVP would've spent this season with us, same for Nasri the previous season.

Ooh, new deals and stuff. Good to see some positivity in here for once.

ReputationRep:
    This new kit deal will be huge if true. Our commercial revenue has long been our achilles heel due to our previous front-loaded deal, £30/year should catapult us right into contention again. I honestly think we're going to be on the ascension again soon, many new deals to come that will lead to increased income and most of (if not all) our debt is long term. I've been preaching that the Emirates project was a long term one for years now to quiet the naysayers, hopefully I'll be vindicated now rather than look like I was being desperate. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    This new kit deal will be huge if true. Our commercial revenue has long been our achilles heel due to our previous front-loaded deal, £30/year should catapult us right into contention again. I honestly think we're going to be on the ascension again soon, many new deals to come that will lead to increased income and most of (if not all) our debt is long term. I've been preaching that the Emirates project was a long term one for years now to quiet the naysayers, hopefully I'll be vindicated now rather than look like I was being desperate. Fingers crossed.
    Yeah its true. John cross, the Daily Minor journo who supports arsenal, broke the story. He's well known and a respectable journo and he wouldn't risk his career and creditability with this article unless he was totally sure the information was correct. He'll probably be on Alan Brazil's sports Breakfast in the morning explaining the article

ReputationRep:
    With Fergie's supposed "retiring" does this spell the end of dominance for Man UTD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    With Fergie's supposed "retiring" does this spell the end of dominance for Man UTD?
    I don't necessarily think so. To be honest UTD have never been monsters in Europe and a new manager might just make them into one. That said, to continue their domestic dominance will be hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Don't forget that we are dealing with Wenger here- a man who was said that the day Arsenal hire a sport director is the day before he leaves the club. Wouldn't call Wenger a dictator though and Kroneke I feel is a really decent owner.

Also, the 'Arsenal are a feeder club' line is so wrong. Name me a player who was under contract (in terms of transfer dealing, 2 years plus) that we unwillingly sold (Cesc doesn't been the caveat here). If the Bosman rule didn't exist, I'm sure that RVP would've spent this season with us, same for Nasri the previous season.
    I agree with all the rest that you say but I still think you're a feeder club. Take it this way united were able to keep rooney, the ronaldo deal well 80million pounds while they still ****ed up with the deal 80 million pounds for a player is still ridiculous.

But arsenal are a feeder club. If you can't keep your players under contract and are forced to sell to bigger/better clubs than you that is the definition of a feeder club. Although it's not the sense of a feeder club like ajax to the top clubs who pretty much lose their whole team to a team that's in a bigger league you sell a top player every season. That whole squad you've been building up since 2006-07 to replace the invincibles has all but gone, the only remnants of the team from circa 07 are the players who aren't good enough so are on the fringes/loaned(bendtner, denilson) or the likes of diaby, sagna who are good but have had their problems(sagna's form since his injury and diaby's injury record). Maybe had you guys played vela a bit he'd have been an exception to the rule I guess.

If you were to include the likes of walcott, gibbs, sczezcny, ramsey, etc. that have been there getting games since 07 (that's why I'm not including wilshere) I guess they're good players but lets be honest at this moment of time they would not start at a top club competing for all competitions, they'd all be bench warmers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I don't necessarily think so. To be honest UTD have never been monsters in Europe and a new manager might just make them into one. That said, to continue their domestic dominance will be hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Supposedly David Moyes is in line for the job? For reason IF he does take over I feel United will be less threatening. With Fergie as the Man UTD UTD always had that beast.

ReputationRep:
    Well well well, the old dog is bowing out. Get David Moyes in and let everyone clean up UTD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's been confirmed he is retiring, I won't even lie he's a legend tbh.

ReputationRep:
    When Wenger leaves eventually I'll be sad as well tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    When Wenger leaves eventually I'll be sad as well tbh.
    For Arsenal fans and for the EPL it'll be sad day.

On Fergie, I can't help but think Wenger's feeling a bit sad. The two left a mark on each other, just a pity that in recent years we couldn't keep up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    apparently we agreed a 170mill kit deal with puma

ReputationRep:
    EPL won't be the same without the geezers fergie and wenger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonfigo)
    EPL won't be the same without the geezers fergie and wenger
    Yeah it already feels different and no games have been played. It seems like the rivalries won't be the same again. I think we may be seeing Wenger leaving next season now - he's lost a friend in Fergie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I agree with all the rest that you say but I still think you're a feeder club. Take it this way united were able to keep rooney, the ronaldo deal well 80million pounds while they still ****ed up with the deal 80 million pounds for a player is still ridiculous.

But arsenal are a feeder club. If you can't keep your players under contract and are forced to sell to bigger/better clubs than you that is the definition of a feeder club. Although it's not the sense of a feeder club like ajax to the top clubs who pretty much lose their whole team to a team that's in a bigger league you sell a top player every season. That whole squad you've been building up since 2006-07 to replace the invincibles has all but gone, the only remnants of the team from circa 07 are the players who aren't good enough so are on the fringes/loaned(bendtner, denilson) or the likes of diaby, sagna who are good but have had their problems(sagna's form since his injury and diaby's injury record). Maybe had you guys played vela a bit he'd have been an exception to the rule I guess.

If you were to include the likes of walcott, gibbs, sczezcny, ramsey, etc. that have been there getting games since 07 (that's why I'm not including wilshere) I guess they're good players but lets be honest at this moment of time they would not start at a top club competing for all competitions, they'd all be bench warmers.
    Well we sold players because we didnt have the cash to pay them well enough/attract good enough players to play with them.

But to put the new deals in perspective: Arsenal's revenue will be roughly the same as Bayern Munich's and way above the likes of Liverpool/Chelsea. I think people have forgot what a sleeping giant of English football Arsenal are because of the Emirates project but I genuinely see things normalising now. Arsene Wenger knew what he was doing all along, he always does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)

You haven't came up with anyone because you can't. Obviously letting the players contract run down was a risky MO but, let's face it, as much as us fans would love believe it, Gazidis with his MBA isn't stupid and Wenger isn't either. There's a reason why they didn't extend these players contract possibly due to the fact that we didn't want to give them a pay grade too early (Emirates fanancial restraint) and Agent Dein (the son of every Arsenals fan favourite ex-board member)- we can't force players to sign on especially when their Agents controllng them.

The Rooney example is a rubbish one. He still had, about 18 months left on his contract and, I doubt he really wanted to leave Utd. Just wanted more money which he got.

And now, lets look at our squad from 2007-2008 (our best season post Invincibles and see what happend to the players).

Lehmann- Retired
    Sagna- ****ing off soon and good riddance
    Toure- sold to city left unceremoniously because of the Gallas
    Gallas- ****ed off contract ran down, thank god
    Clichy- sold to city

Senderos- lol, at Fulham via AC
    Djorou- on loan, still with us
    Eboue- left

Rosicky- still at club
    Diarra- left as he is highly unpatient and wanted first team football
    Hleb- wanted to go to the sun
    Diaby- still on the injury bed
    Cesc- went home
    Flamini- left, at AC. Interesting one will talk about it at the end
    Denilson- indulging in his wages
    Silva- lost his place in team to Flamini, left at the end of the season

Adebayor- ****ed off and good riddance.
    RVP- left for Utd
    Eduardo- got his leg broken.

I'm addidng Nasri to the list as well.

As you can see, there isn't really a player there that has left and would be an improvement on our current crop except for Nasri, RVP and Cesc. Wenger coaxed all the juice out of those players and most that have moved on are rarely setting bum on fire.

Flamini's case is the only one where I feel the club massive ****ed up. When he left, when lost 3 players in that position. Gilberto, was probably going to be sold within the next 2 season at the time, and Diarra, who was brought in to replace him couldn't get any game because somehow, Flamini did something and became an awesome player overnight (just hours before he was going to be sold to Birmigham) and thus Diarra left for Portsmouth. We should've tied Flamini up to a contract once he pushed Gilberto out of the team and realised that Diarra was going to leave.

Now with the emirates financial restraint placated, and with all these new money coming in, we don't have any excuses to let contract run down. So, if we are a truely feeder club, the next 5 seasons will confirm that. But, I think you'll find that it won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Well we sold players because we didnt have the cash to pay them well enough/attract good enough players to play with them.

But to put the new deals in perspective: Arsenal's revenue will be roughly the same as Bayern Munich's and way above the likes of Liverpool/Chelsea. I think people have forgot what a sleeping giant of English football Arsenal are because of the Emirates project but I genuinely see things normalising now. Arsene Wenger knew what he was doing all along, he always does.
    I don't think people fully realise how mammoth of a project the emirates was/is. The club has quietly gone away paying for it without any sugar daddy monetary injection. I mean, look at Spurs. They're so desperate for public funding that they're willing to carry out espionage work and break laws.

I guess the massive problem is that there hasn't been a realistic club to compare us with. We've basically been on an island ourselves but yet people want to be comparing us with clubs with much more muscle than us.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.