The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

AMS and STV furnish the voter with greater representation than FPTP. However, certain aspects of these systems of proportional representation can be criticised due to the nature of the representation they create.

Both the AMS and STV give the voter more choice. Under AMS the elector has two votes; one for there local msp and one for the regional msp and STV votes in order if preference 1,2,3,4 etc. This is a sharp contrast to FPTP where voters vote once. It can also be argued that STV leads to a more competitive election encouraging parties to stand because they have a better chance of gaining some form of representation. Small parties such as the greens and senior citizens have never won a seat with FPTP but stand better chances with AMS or STV.

One of the greatest strengths are there ability to produce a fairer and more proportionate result. As a system if proportional representation it attempts to provide a result that the percentage of seats won is a try reflection of the percentage if votes cast. Fptp fails to provide this as in 2005 labour won 35% of the vote but 55% of the seats.

Smaller parties are also given the chance to gain representation. For the first time in the uk the greens and senior citizens won seats in Holyrood under AMS. Never with FPTP. This is important in a pluralistic society, with diverse groups of people living in a complex society.

AMS is used in scotland and STV in Ireland to elect a coalition government; labour/lib dem. this allows more representation in government and prevents one party becoming an 'elected dictatorship' which is nearly all parties since WW2. Since the 1950's if only FPTP was used labour would win all elections outright in Scotland. However it can be argued that under fptp it is the electorate who decided who forms the government and not party leaders.

In conclusion, the systems of PR clearly provide a more fairer and propionate result that FPTP and enable smaller parties to gain representation. However, the major Criticism is that it leads to a confused result that decides who the government is and not the electorate.

Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shinyroof43
Do you think that they might ask about the criticisms of local government?

critically examine the role of LA was ages ago. i mean maybe it may come up but lets just pray its on devolution people lol
Green party won their first ever seat in 2010 btw! because i think you said theyve never with FPTP
Original post by JessicaLee123
Green party won their first ever seat in 2010 btw! because i think you said theyve never with FPTP

Yeah the essay is slightly dated my apologies

Posted from TSR Mobile
critically examine the role of LA was ages ago. i mean maybe it may come up but lets just pray its on devolution people lol

I didn't bother to revise any of the local government stuff cause it came up last year

OH GOD KILL ME NOW
Original post by weejackie10
Yeah the essay is slightly dated my apologies

Posted from TSR Mobile

awww no no need to say sorry lol! was just trying to help haha! going to write that in my essay exam if it comes up !!
lmao theres many people who didnt bother either dont worry. neither have i but im getting worried and i could revise it now lol.
Hey guys does anyone think for section B it may be on income affecting health or government policies to reduce inequalities or to what extent do inequalities still exist in the UK? Please reply THANKS !!!
Reply 1448
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Phew...
Also, I'm called Ailsa as well. :smile:

Awh that's cool :smile:!

Have you studied and local government?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone planning to stay up all night? I'm going to bed. If I don't know it now I never will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ailsa.
Awh that's cool :smile:!

Have you studied and local government?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I study voting (systems), Africa, USA and health and wealth. :smile:
lmao theres many people who didnt bother either dont worry. neither have i but im getting worried and i could revise it now lol.

I'm just going to relax now, I think I could improvise an essay like that if it came up (hopefully). I'll do a bit in the morning before I go in.

If I fail I fail anyway, it's not the end of the world!
Original post by Scrabble96
Is anyone planning to stay up all night? I'm going to bed. If I don't know it now I never will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is it bad to get lack of sleep for the exam?
Reply 1453
No, I study voting (systems), Africa, USA and health and wealth. :smile:

Ah okay, what's your feelings on voting and Africa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ailsa.
Ah okay, what's your feelings on voting and Africa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AMS/STV vs FPTP, not voting behaviour and preferably an NGOs or UNOs q for Africa.
is it bad to get lack of sleep for the exam?

Wouldn't advise staying up v. late, but you could wake up early.
Reply 1456
AMS/STV vs FPTP, not voting behaviour and preferably an NGOs or UNOs q for Africa.

What does NGOs and UNOs actually stand for :colondollar: aha?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1457
my teacher thinks that health and wealth government policys will come up xx
Original post by ailsa.
What does NGOs and UNOs actually stand for :colondollar: aha?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Non governmental organisations and united nations organisations. :tongue:
Original post by Pabbie
my teacher thinks that health and wealth government policys will come up xx

you mean like government reducing poverty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending