Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, I'll try this also.

Fulham first for me. Magaths discipline should suit the championship and I imagine they'll be up for the fight. Watford second, albeit this is all down to our defence, as I do believe we have the most talented attack in the league, and after a few years experience, is now suited to English football.

Derby, were in my opinion the surprise team last year, like Watford the year before, so I am wary on Derby based on our own plight last year, although our squads are very different.

Can't see a surprise team in the championship this year I'm afraid.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure you do, although I may be biased

We were top scorers last season and, besides the loss of Bamford, we've got an even more attacking squad now.

I'll think you'll lose Deeney as well before the end of the window. That will be a blow (although Vydra's arrival certainly softens it).

That whole "teams who fail in the PO final do poorly the next year" thing is just superstition. I don't buy into the hangover or whatever. If you're teams good enough, it will show in the league table...simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Hmmm, I'm not sure you do, although I may be biased

We were top scorers last season and, besides the loss of Bamford, we've got an even more attacking squad now.

I'll think you'll lose Deeney as well before the end of the window. That will be a blow (although Vydra's arrival certainly softens it).

That whole "teams who fail in the PO final do poorly the next year" thing is just superstition. I don't buy into the hangover or whatever. If you're teams good enough, it will show in the league table...simple as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think its due to any playoff final hangover. Our playoff year we played passing, counterattacking football, which no one thought Watford did. The season after, everyone knew what we were doing, scored a goal, and sat back. Whether people will approach Derby differently now, now that you're a known strong team again, will become obvious ten games in.

I honestly don't think we'll lose Deeney, I don't think Leicester are willing to go up to eight figures, which I think we're holding for. Only way I can really see him going is a classic Redknapp panic buy on deadline day. Besides, he hasn't looked his old self in pre season, £10m would be amazing for someone who was stamping on students two years ago.

I think we have the most talented attack, whether it'll be the best for the Championship, who knows. But with Deeney, Vydra, Ighalo and Ranegie with Anya, Dyer, Forestieri and Fabbrini on the wings, I can't see much better, whilst people think we'll be playing Deeney/Vydra the whole way through, I think Ranegie/Ighalo would be almost as good as Deeney/Vydra, in the same way.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fawaz selling players behind pearces back :laugh: How long before they bring back king billy for another crack?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Fawaz selling players behind pearces back :laugh: How long before they bring back king billy for another crack?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Darlow and Lascelles to Newcastle for peanuts.

Lansbury looks like he's on his way to Burnley.

Cox and Mackie going to Reading.

Pearce will be gone by Christmas as well, I reckon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't they get a winding up order earlier in the summer?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Darlow and Lascelles to Newcastle for peanuts.

Lansbury looks like he's on his way to Burnley.

Cox and Mackie going to Reading.

Pearce will be gone by Christmas as well, I reckon
    What the hell? That's a Southampton style exodus, is Fawaz selling the club or is this FFP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    What the hell? That's a Southampton style exodus, is Fawaz selling the club or is this FFP?
    He says it's for FFP but the suspicion is that he wants to sell.

Either way, it's hilarious. Can't see them challenging this coming year at all.

We'll stay up. I don't think we'll do that well but we'll stay up. 15th or 16th would be very good. (Brentford)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Surprised so many are tipping Bolton for bottom half. They finished really strongly last year and, despite losing Juktiewicz, I think they will have a steady year if they recruit some goals from somewhere. I certainly don't think they will get play-offs, but mid-table is assured.

ReputationRep:
    Forest supposedly about to sign Assombalonga from P'boro for around £8m in total. Watford get 50% of the profit from the deal, Peterborough bought him for £1.5m from us... League One strikers now overinflated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    £8m for a league one striker? Jesus. This summer has just been ridiculous for over inflated prices.

Didn't they get a winding up order earlier in the summer?
    just looked at companies house, and apparently they did. All going wrong for them this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Forest supposedly about to sign Assombalonga from P'boro for around £8m in total. Watford get 50% of the profit from the deal, Peterborough bought him for £1.5m from us... League One strikers now overinflated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crazy. Britt's completely unproven in this league and Forest need guaranteed goals. Huge risk.

2m for Michail Antonio as well, one of the most inconsistent players in this league. Talented though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    £8m, what the actual ****? Even half of that is ridiculous.For £3.5m Peterborough could buy an entire new team and win League One by some distance. Charlton did just that with the Carl Jenkinson cash and that was barely £1m.

Compare this to Reading who are getting Cox, Mackie and potentially Murray for half of that amount.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe we've sold Antonio why on earth would a club sell their so called prize asset, for cheap as well considering the crazy fees this summer. Now to find a cheap replacement who'll contribute to demise into league one.

EDIT: But at least we've signed Dejan Kelhar :lol: The last Slovenian international we had was garbage so hopes aren't high.

Signed Leon Best on a season-long loan.

People are laughing at us but I think this could be a really astute signing. Got "McClaren masterstroke" written all over it :P
    Ah good old Leon 'Worst'. May he prove me wrong

ReputationRep:
    Optimistically predicting 9th place. Absolutely wild..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    £8m, what the actual ****? Even half of that is ridiculous.For £3.5m Peterborough could buy an entire new team and win League One by some distance. Charlton did just that with the Carl Jenkinson cash and that was barely £1m.

Compare this to Reading who are getting Cox, Mackie and potentially Murray for half of that amount.
    We got £3m for Wilson and haven't really splashed it. Often a problem when teams know you have money to spend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Talented Watford prospect nicked by Man Utd for £130k due to EPPP. Disgusting plan by the FA and the youngster will probably never be heard of again.

ReputationRep:
    Talented Watford prospect nicked by Man Utd for £130k due to EPPP. Disgusting plan by the FA and the youngster will probably never be heard of again.
    I would like an annual fixture against Germany until those buffoons get the picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Football League is back tomorrow night Blackburn v Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    Adeyemi will not get a good reception when he comes back to St Andrews. Hear he played reasonably well tho, as a substitute

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.