Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    Is it possible to get cashed-in grades remarked? I was unaware that this would be happening, I would like to remark my exam module to strengthen my overall grade.

If this proves impossible, will this greatly inhibit my chances of gaining a place at Oxford?
    The exam boards have a narrow window for re-marks and in the vast majority of cases the marks are unaffected. We suggest that you consult your school about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r055grn)
    Hi I am looking to apply to Biochemistry next year but am wondering whether it is worth putting down Oxford as an option; I would want to have a good chance of getting an interview.

I have 5*s and 7As at GCSE, and recently got my AS's which were: A in geog, A in bio, B in chem and B in maths (will retake one chem and one maths exam as was close to the A boundaries in both). I am likely to be predicted A*A*AA for my A2s. I also have relevant work experience at UCL and did a taster day at Cambridge.

I know it's impossible to predict whether I would get an interview but I would just like to hear some people's honest opinions on it.

Cheers
    Biochem intervew most of their applicants and your grades are very good - so its worth a shot

Your chances of an offer would depend on your interview, and the worst that can happen is they say no and you go to another great university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiar99)
    Hi everyone,
    I got 4 As at AS and 7 A* 3 A at GCSE, how should I go about getting an interview at Oxford to study English? Because some have told me that interviews are given randomly, so I've no idea what to do to secure one.
    Thanks!
    Not random at all!

You apply through UCAS the same as with every other university. But you have to meet the earlier Oxbridge deadline in October rather than January.

Then you sit the ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test) in November. Take a look here - http://www.admissionstestingservice....ring-for-elat/

After this, Oxford will send out invitations to interview - which happen in December. Then decisions on whether you get an offer or not go out in January.

Your grades are very good, so with a good personal statement and ELAT you stand a chance at getting an interview - your chances of getting an offer would then depend on your interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marakh)
    You do realise that Wadham and Oriel is a strange choice, they are very very different.
    Describing somebody's choices as 'strange' isn't particularly constructive or helpful. Saying they are different is quite obvious as all colleges are, if you feel you have information about the differences in colleges that would be useful to candidates, then post it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    The Cambridge one is up already . . . ! And here is the general 2016 thread for applying to university -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56421493&highli ght=

Copy and paste this and fill it in below!

GCSE grades:
    A-Levels:
    Course:
    College:

Mine is:

GCSE grades: 7 A*s, 2 As, 1 B
    A-Levels: Hopefully AABB at AS and AAD3 at A2. And an EPQ.
    Course: Oriental Studies (Egyptology)
    College: The Queen's College

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you edit this link into your original post so we can get a stalking page going?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...027&p=58435407

ReputationRep:
    Well my results didn't go quite as planned- i got an A in music, B in german, and D's in latin and biology- i'm just wondering if i should bother applying to oxford, although i plan to do re-sits in my AS latin and german units, and get my biology papers remarked, as i was two marks off a C. i was so upset yesterday- i put so much work into my latin and i got a D, but i am so determined to improve those grades and get into a good university, along with my personal statement (which is still in the making). Please be honest with me. Because i keep being leaniant on myself. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    Well my results didn't go quite as planned- i got an A in music, B in german, and D's in latin and biology- i'm just wondering if i should bother applying to oxford, although i plan to do re-sits in my AS latin and german units, and get my biology papers remarked, as i was two marks off a C. i was so upset yesterday- i put so much work into my latin and i got a D, but i am so determined to improve those grades and get into a good university, along with my personal statement (which is still in the making). Please be honest with me. Because i keep being leaniant on myself. Thank you.
    What did you get at GCSES? And what subject are you looking to apply for?

AS grades aren't considered holistically as part of the application process, they just need to show you can meet the AAA - A*A*A offer. Admissions tests may be important as well depending on course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    For E&M, candidates applying to us and invited for interview by an Oxford college achieved the following scores:

TSA problem solving: min 42, max 79, median 62
    TSA critical thinking: min 48, max 78, median 65
    TSA essay: min 45, max 70, median 62
    TSA overall: min 50, max 75, median 63

For all subjects, the GCSE A* profiles are as follows:
    a) any interview: min 1, max 13, median 8
    b) any offer: min 1, max 12, median 9

Note that the minimum threshold for GCSE A* can be distorted by international candidates who offer multiple qualifications who may have taken the odd GCSE.

As before, our advice is to consider applying if you think you can match these scores.

How important is the TSA writing section for E&M applicants? How much of an advantage is having above average GCSEs (12A*s) and are there any colleges which place significantly more emphasis than others on GCSEs or any another factor? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econ31)
    How important is the TSA writing section for E&M applicants? How much of an advantage is having above average GCSEs (12A*s) and are there any colleges which place significantly more emphasis than others on GCSEs or any another factor? Thanks.
    All parts of the TSA count. The colleges also have a common approach to selection. As many candidates will be invited to interview as it is reasonable to schedule. In a few marginal cases where the selectors have to assign the last available spots, strong GCSEs may compensate for a lower TSA performance and vice versa. So above average GCSEs may provide a form of insurance, depending on how well you and everyone else does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    What did you get at GCSES? And what subject are you looking to apply for?

AS grades aren't considered holistically as part of the application process, they just need to show you can meet the AAA - A*A*A offer. Admissions tests may be important as well depending on course

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3 A*'s, 6 A's, 3 Bs and 1 C and i plan to study music

ReputationRep:
    I'm very late to the party, as I've only just considered applying to Oxford! (Still a little bit unsure to be honest, I might not be good enough)

GCSE grades: 8 A*'s, 3 A's and a Distinction (ICT)
    A-Levels: Maths, French, Physics and an EPQ (Got AAAA at AS level, with the fourth AS being Further Maths).
    Course: I'm thinking Law? Worried about the prospect of the LNAT! (I'm also looking at Archaeology and Anthropology)
    College: I have no idea yet

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I want to do Classics
    GCSE: 8A* 2A 1B
    AS:
    Latin-A (88%)
    Greek-A (90%)
    History-A (84%)
    College: Either Worcester or LMH

Maths B (but Im dropping) and General studies C (lol)

The head of sixth form told me that there was no point even trying for Oxford as I wouldn't get in because my UMS aren't high enough, however, I thought Oxford didn't look at UMS. Also, compared to the rest of my year I didnt do that well. Should I go for Oxford or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euphrosyne.)
    Hi guys,

I want to do Classics
    GCSE: 8A* 2A 1B
    AS:
    Latin-A (88%)
    Greek-A (90%)
    History-A (84%)
    College: Either Worcester or LMH

Maths B (but Im dropping) and General studies C (lol)

The head of sixth form told me that there was no point even trying for Oxford as I wouldn't get in because my UMS aren't high enough, however, I thought Oxford didn't look at UMS. Also, compared to the rest of my year I didnt do that well. Should I go for Oxford or not?
    Yeah Cambridge look at UMS I believe, but Oxford do not, so you'll definitely be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Well done on your AS results. Unless cashed in AS do not influence the outcome. The key thing is the A2 prediction. Applicants MUST be predicted A*A*A
    Thanks for your reply. Also do you reckon there is any point remarking my Biology papers if it is unlikely to change my predicted grade, which will most likely be an A regardless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euphrosyne.)

The head of sixth form told me that there was no point even trying for Oxford.
    Wow, such supportive and ''well-informed'' guidance you have :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    Thanks for your reply. Also do you reckon there is any point remarking my Biology papers if it is unlikely to change my predicted grade, which will most likely be an A regardless?
    We think you should discuss the option of a re-mark with your school who are best placed to offer advice.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, guys
    I have just received my A level results and am hoping to apply to read biochemistry at Oxford in 2016.
    I achieved A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths but my GCSEs are less "Oxford standard". Is it still worth applying?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GM16)
    Anyone applying for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Wow, such supportive and ''well-informed'' guidance you have :/
    Ikr, especially since the school is always painting an image of "encouraging our girls to aim high" and they are saying I dont stand a chance with 87 UMS average

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.