Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Please can I have a little help/advice! I started at Durham uni this year doing chemistry and biology, however after a month I decided to drop out because I wasn't enjoying the course or the student experience Durham has to offer. I've been trying to decide what course to reapply for and economics is standing out atm, despite having no past experience of the subject. I have got 3A*'s in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However I did not take further maths, have only done S1 and have no A levels in essay based subjects. Would this put me at a disadvantage? Also is work experience important for economics? Are their any useful economics books that you would recommend me to read? Any help would be strongly appreciated!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny1010)
    Hey,

Please can I have a little help/advice! I started at Durham uni this year doing chemistry and biology, however after a month I decided to drop out because I wasn't enjoying the course or the student experience Durham has to offer. I've been trying to decide what course to reapply for and economics is standing out atm, despite having no past experience of the subject. I have got 3A*'s in Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However I did not take further maths, have only done S1 and have no A levels in essay based subjects. Would this put me at a disadvantage? Also is work experience important for economics? Are their any useful economics books that you would recommend me to read? Any help would be strongly appreciated!

Cheers
    3A*s in maths/science subjects is amazing. You could do further maths this year? Or just further maths AS. Or you could do an essay subject or just an AS this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    What maths questions did you have in your interview?
    don't think i'm allowed to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzie2)
    Hey guys, hoping to apply for economics for 2016 (in year 12 now). Just wondering what extra things you did outside of school to help your personal statement. Also to go to a top uni (eg LSE or UCL) is there anything extra you have to do to make your PS stand out even more?
    I did the Royal Economic Society Essay, Target 2.0 and went to masterclasses at universities and went to the Debate Chamber Economics Summer School. Wrote about all of those in PS.
    You could also do an Economics based EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    don't think i'm allowed to say
    fair enough, I'm guessing graphs but at the end of the day I guess people good at maths will be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    I got 4 A's in biology, chemistry, maths and economics
    I have received an unofficial offer from UCL just have to attend the open day first

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome! I'm doing the exact same A-levels as you. Can I ask whether you're dropping one or not? I am still considering dropping one but I'm still looking at medicine as well as econ (applied to do econ this year)

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, I'm guessing graphs but at the end of the day I guess people good at maths will be fine
    Will they ask all applicants the same types of questions, or if an applicant is studying further maths will they ask them harder questions?

ReputationRep:
    Some awesome grades!!
    Gcses: 9a* and 2a
    As Level:
    Maths 300/300
    further maths 277/300
    econ 192/200
    history 188/200
    I hope we hear about interviews soon, have you done much to prepare? I've done hardly anything haha
    You too!!

I just got my interview yesterday from Jesus! I don't even know how you can prepare really haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ablocky19)
    Got an offer from Bristol for AAB
    whaaat they gave me A*AA grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Not personally but it depends on who you're being interviewed by. You should be prepared to defend anything you've put on it though.

Yeah that should put you in good stead for the interview. How are your debating skills? You'll need to be able to defend your viewpoint quickly if you make a bold claim on a macro question.

I wouldn't say that the maths is very hard, so make sure you can do the simple stuff as well as the difficult stuff.

And it depends largely on who's interviewing you and how they're feeling. It's more likely to be on economic policy than those niche (in relative terms) markets.
    what college did you apply to ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmelinelu)
    You too!!

I just got my interview yesterday from Jesus! I don't even know how you can prepare really haha
    Well done! Neither, I'm just gonna make sure I know 100% about what I put in my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak2015)
    Will they ask all applicants the same types of questions, or if an applicant is studying further maths will they ask them harder questions?
    I reckon it depends how well you tackle the first questions they set you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak2015)
    I would hazard a guess and say that they tend to ask the same questions to everyone regardless of what you study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMooo)
    Awesome! I'm doing the exact same A-levels as you. Can I ask whether you're dropping one or not? I am still considering dropping one but I'm still looking at medicine as well as econ (applied to do econ this year)
    I dropped biology this year and instead I do AS further maths and I am also self teaching A2 further maths. Oh awesome! Where have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it depends how well you tackle the first questions they set you
    just got an interview at Jesus too! sooooo happy, think it was down to my personal statement
    heard from my friend that they ask step questions at the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benpeters)
    just got an interview at Jesus too! sooooo happy, think it was down to my personal statement
    I heard that too I've done a few questions and they're pretty easy so far, hope it's the same in the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lindajohnson)
    I heard that too I've done a few questions and they're pretty easy so far, hope it's the same in the test.
    thanks so much for your speedy response! I've been so panicked about step (even after about 30 hours of revision for it) but I suppose if you don't pass it, you don't really deserve a place anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i've applied to both cambridge and LSE and i'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on which one you'd prefer to go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benpeters)
    Ah sick, well done mate! What was the magic ingredient for your personal statement then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewmitchell)
    Hi guys, i've applied to both cambridge and LSE and i'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on which one you'd prefer to go to?
    My dilemma aswell, think lse has more going for it sheerly because its in London but Cambridge is cambridge

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.