The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TunaTunnel
Got my Durham interview tomorrow, really feel like I've not prepared enough.

Good luck!
Original post by Lambert87
Are you primary or secondary mate?

Primary

Also how long did it take for them to offer you a place?
Original post by Abbieh1991
Hi everyone! I applied for Primary PGCE at Southampton, Winchester and Chichester at the weekend (delayed references!) and have a interview for Chichester on the 2nd December, just wondering if anyone else on here has applied for any of those choices or possibly had an interview for Chichester? I'm proper nervous! Thanks :smile:

Hi Abbie, I applied for primary at southampton and winchester too, have you heard anything back from them yet? well done on getting the interview for chichester :smile:
Reply 1443
Hi all,

I have just got word that I have an offer for my first choice of training provider, but have also got an interview tomorrow for my last choice of training provider. I really want to withdraw my application to my two training providers so that I can accept this offer. Any advice on how I can do this politely and professionally?

Also would be happy to give out any advice based on my experiences with the application so far!
GOOD LUCK GUYS
Original post by Charocall
Has anyone been to a UCL interview? I have one next week, any tips??

Ive got one next week too! Good luck!
Original post by blobby1759
Primary

Also how long did it take for them to offer you a place?

My interview went as follows:

They did a talk for 25 mins about the uni and the programme

Then we had a literacy test

Then we had to read an article and debate it between the other candidates (it was about pigeon holing and ranking pupils on ability)

Then I had to do a presentation and a subject knowledge test

I got offered a place there and then
Original post by 123ELD
Hi all,

I have just got word that I have an offer for my first choice of training provider, but have also got an interview tomorrow for my last choice of training provider. I really want to withdraw my application to my two training providers so that I can accept this offer. Any advice on how I can do this politely and professionally?

Also would be happy to give out any advice based on my experiences with the application so far!
GOOD LUCK GUYS

Just email them and say due to recent changes relating to your application you wish to withdraw your application.

Don't go into anymore detail :-)
My interview went as follows:

They did a talk for 25 mins about the uni and the programme

Then we had a literacy test

Then we had to read an article and debate it between the other candidates (it was about pigeon holing and ranking pupils on ability)

Then I had to do a presentation and a subject knowledge test

I got offered a place there and then

What's the subject knowledge test? Was there no individual interview?

For my presentation I have been asked to bring an item and it says how it would be useful in the engagement of learners, what does that mean? I'm so confused, don't feel my notes are relating to that part of the question
Original post by purplefish92
Hi Abbie, I applied for primary at southampton and winchester too, have you heard anything back from them yet? well done on getting the interview for chichester :smile:

Not yet :/ But im currently studying my undergrad at Chi so I thought I'd hear back from them first :smile: Thanks :smile: I'm excited but dead scared :/ Have you heard anything from southampton or winchester yet? where else have you applied? I'm hoping to get into southampton as a first choice as its so much closer to home, but they dont have graduations for PGCE's which puts me off lol I can't really decide though lol Have you got a first choice? :smile:
Original post by Abbieh1991
Not yet :/ But im currently studying my undergrad at Chi so I thought I'd hear back from them first :smile: Thanks :smile: I'm excited but dead scared :/ Have you heard anything from southampton or winchester yet? where else have you applied? I'm hoping to get into southampton as a first choice as its so much closer to home, but they dont have graduations for PGCE's which puts me off lol I can't really decide though lol Have you got a first choice? :smile:

Yeah the interview process for pgce sounds quite intense :s hopefully the fact that you already study at chichester will work in your favour!

I haven't heard from southampton or winchester yet or even got an acknowledgement of application email (not sure if we get one?). Winchester is my first choice as closest to home but I'm also applying to Reading.

My partner is doing his School Direct PGCE with Southampton this year and says their training days are really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man with experience :smile:

That's how I'll be pitching it to them next week!

By the way guys and girls, some videos I've been watching about Education Philosophy issues:

Rousseau (long but some great ideas):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oauyMhAxw

Dewey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwIcl-G93Mo

Hirsch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oauyMhAxw
Has anyone been to a UCL interview? I have one next week, any tips??

Hi, is this for primary or secondary?
Original post by *tango*
Then I'm a great-grandmother, haha. 38 :redface:

30 is the new 20 anyway! ;-)
Original post by blobby1759
What's the subject knowledge test? Was there no individual interview?

For my presentation I have been asked to bring an item and it says how it would be useful in the engagement of learners, what does that mean? I'm so confused, don't feel my notes are relating to that part of the question

Well mines secondary so I had a A-Level Chemistry test

No real one to one interview...
Original post by rede121
Hi, is this for primary or secondary?

Hi! Secondary, it's seems quite intense, what does a group interview involve, as in will we have to present as a group or do we each get specific questions. Ahh, so nervous!

The presentation says its for 16/17 year old starting A-levels, so does that mean it can't be a difficult topic :/
Have either of you had to do a teaching episode yet as part of your process?
Hi! Secondary, it's seems quite intense, what does a group interview involve, as in will we have to present as a group or do we each get specific questions. Ahh, so nervous!

The presentation says its for 16/17 year old starting A-levels, so does that mean it can't be a difficult topic :/

Ooo, its a group interview?

In regards to the presentation, try to bring the easier topics that you see in a-level - early year 12 work.

For the group interview:
Not necessarily in this order, but the following could happen:

Group interviews are done so they can see how you relate to each other as well as identifying stronger/weaker personalities.

This type of interview is notorious for making tasks "fun".
You could be asked as a group :
- "What makes a good teacher?" and may need to present it to everyone
- Or Make a TV commercial to promote teaching as a career, in a group of 4.

You may be asked questions individually as well - just because it is a group interview, this won't necessarily rule out individual ones!

The entire group may be asked open questions where anyone could answer. Such as how you feel about inclusion, how would you implement the 6 areas related to the curriculum (invasion games, exercising safely etc) and whether mixed classes or separate sex classes were better etc.

Just make sure you look smart, professional, an be heard! They can be quite competitive, just don't over talk. You don't want to appeared as though you aren't really letting anyone else talk. And above all, SMILE! Trust me when I say, pleasant mannerisms are so important, you look approachable and warm, which is a quality they love in a teacher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by purplefish92
Yeah the interview process for pgce sounds quite intense :s hopefully the fact that you already study at chichester will work in your favour!

I haven't heard from southampton or winchester yet or even got an acknowledgement of application email (not sure if we get one?). Winchester is my first choice as closest to home but I'm also applying to Reading.

My partner is doing his School Direct PGCE with Southampton this year and says their training days are really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so as continuing at chi would be alot less hassle lol and they are supposed to be a good uni for their course. The interview doesn't look too bad for chi compared to what could be thankfully!

I got an acknowledgement email from chi so I would think we'd get one from them too. Is Winchester nice? I don't know much about it, just needed a third choice and didn't feel prepared enough for SCITT lol

I've done work experience in Southampton and I've heard really good things about them too from teachers glad to hear more positives how is your partner finding SCITT?
Is it unusual to accept an interview but them to not update it on UCAS?
Original post by rede121
Ooo, its a group interview?

In regards to the presentation, try to bring the easier topics that you see in a-level - early year 12 work.

For the group interview:
Not necessarily in this order, but the following could happen:

Group interviews are done so they can see how you relate to each other as well as identifying stronger/weaker personalities.

This type of interview is notorious for making tasks "fun".
You could be asked as a group :
- "What makes a good teacher?" and may need to present it to everyone
- Or Make a TV commercial to promote teaching as a career, in a group of 4.

You may be asked questions individually as well - just because it is a group interview, this won't necessarily rule out individual ones!

The entire group may be asked open questions where anyone could answer. Such as how you feel about inclusion, how would you implement the 6 areas related to the curriculum (invasion games, exercising safely etc) and whether mixed classes or separate sex classes were better etc.

Just make sure you look smart, professional, an be heard! They can be quite competitive, just don't over talk. You don't want to appeared as though you aren't really letting anyone else talk. And above all, SMILE! Trust me when I say, pleasant mannerisms are so important, you look approachable and warm, which is a quality they love in a teacher.

Thanks!! This is all great advice, I have been revising my subject knowledge more than teaching techniques etc. I better get reading some articles :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending