Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elise1998)
    Application sent late november, offer around 22nd december!
    And ofcouse they will!!
    Thank you ☺️I sent my application 3rd December so hopefully I hear soon! The waiting for is agony😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra48)
    Thank you ☺️I sent my application 3rd December so hopefully I hear soon! The waiting for is agony😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent mine off on 13th October still no word 😭😧😦🙏🙏
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah78615)
    Hey, did anyone here get into Oxford to study Law? I have a few questions as I'll be applying in October
    Ask away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah78615)
    Hey, did anyone here get into Oxford to study Law? I have a few questions as I'll be applying in October
    Bit late but yeah, ask whatever. Still a bit confused on whether to firm it, but probably!

ReputationRep:
    You will do!! Now that the deadline has passed they will probably be quicker! All the best!!
    (Original post by alexandra48)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got a law IB offer from Durham? if so what was it?

I know they want IB 38 points but is not clear if the specify HL requirements as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieHarriett18)
    QMUL isn't highly thought of as a law school though?
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Both KCL and Bristol are reputed to be better, apparently. Not to say that any of them are poorly thought of, it's all relative
    It's #3 in law on the guardian league tables behind Oxbridge, I think it's the kind of thing where people don't think it's that good atm but when it comes to a few years time it might be a bit more reputable. Plus only 20% of QMUL law applicants get offers which is similar to UCL and KCL so that shows it might be kinda good I guess??
    see Bristol isn't rated that highly on the league tables, the highest I've seen it is about 10 I think. But it's regarded as such a good uni?? Idk it's stressful haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vblue77)
    It's #3 in law on the guardian league tables behind Oxbridge, I think it's the kind of thing where people don't think it's that good atm but when it comes to a few years time it might be a bit more reputable. Plus only 20% of QMUL law applicants get offers which is similar to UCL and KCL so that shows it might be kinda good I guess??
    see Bristol isn't rated that highly on the league tables, the highest I've seen it is about 10 I think. But it's regarded as such a good uni?? Idk it's stressful haha
    Domestic rankings place too much importance on student satisfaction, which is both inaccurate and irrelevant...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhishek Dhawan)
    Good job on the offers. What were your predicted grades and when did you apply?
    I'm predicted A*A*AA and I applied at the start of November (:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Your Firm choice here rests on your confidence in achieving an A* and only you can judge that.

You haven't got an obvious Insurance choice there - bit late now, but you should have included an AAB choice even if it wasn't Law. Bristol looks like the most flexible offer so that might be the best Insurance choice from what you have.

General advice in Firm and Insuarnce choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...urance-choices
    Bristol and Manchester both accept Welsh Baccalaureate as one of the grades so that in itself is kind of a backup seeing as I already have an A* in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Domestic rankings place too much importance on student satisfaction, which is both inaccurate and irrelevant...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The offer rate is still easily comparable, and so what are you saying, the ranking for QMUL is inaccurate so therefore rankings for UCL, KCL and all the other 'good' unis must be inaccurate as well?

ReputationRep:
    Guardian league tables have a comically high amount of outliers in them - I'd suggest looking at other rankings (CompleteUniversityGuide, THE and QS) to get a fuller picture. Compare the rankings across all four. Don't use applicants: places ratios to judge how good an institution is, they don't say anything about the calibre of the students other than there's a lot of them applying.

ReputationRep:
    The offer rate is still easily comparable, and so what are you saying, the ranking for QMUL is inaccurate so therefore rankings for UCL, KCL and all the other 'good' unis must be inaccurate as well?
    Not really. QMUL merely benefits from the London scene and has been into both clearing and adjustment, whereas LSE/KCL/UCL/Bristol/Durham(apart from one irregular year) have not been into either adjustment or clearing for law for as long as I can remember...

When it comes to student satisfaction, the better unis tend to suffer the most, so yes I consider that inaccurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elise1998)
    You will do!! Now that the deadline has passed they will probably be quicker! All the best!!
    Thank you☺️you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to Durham university tomorrow for a chat about a foundation course. I applied for the foundation Law course at Durham thinking it was a very long shot but now i have to go see someone about I'm starting to believe it might actually be a possibility. The problem is i already have a offer from Teeside uni for the full LLB degree and if i did get an offer from durham would anyone choose Durham over Teeside even if it as extra year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Guardian league tables have a comically high amount of outliers in them - I'd suggest looking at other rankings (CompleteUniversityGuide, THE and QS) to get a fuller picture. Compare the rankings across all four. Don't use applicants: places ratios to judge how good an institution is, they don't say anything about the calibre of the students other than there's a lot of them applying.
    But if such a large amount of students are applying to a uni with that kind of entry requirements there must be something there to attract them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KRowland)
    Hi, I am going to Durham university tomorrow for a chat about a foundation course. I applied for the foundation Law course at Durham thinking it was a very long shot but now i have to go see someone about I'm starting to believe it might actually be a possibility. The problem is i already have a offer from Teeside uni for the full LLB degree and if i did get an offer from durham would anyone choose Durham over Teeside even if it as extra year?
    Absolutely and without hesitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But if such a large amount of students are applying to a uni with that kind of entry requirements there must be something there to attract them??
    Of course there's something there - no one's denying that QM is a fine university, I just picked out the fact that you referred to a ranking that idiotically put it 3rd in the UK, above giants like Durham, LSE and UCL.

As for the "attracting students" argument - the same could apply to any other top-15 university for Law. Quite simply, you don't know whether QMUL is actually a university that applicants aspire to as a first choice or a middling 2nd or 3rd. There's something attracting people, but how strong that "attraction" is compared to, say, LSE, is impossible to quantify.

Going back to the original argument, I'd also suggest that a uni's place in the rankings does not always perfectly correlate with its employer reputation, or the degree to which employers target it (Bristol and Manchester are prime examples of unis that are targeted by regional firms and have a decent amount of people working in the City, despite being lower down the rankings).

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, Durham's typical offers for IB students are 38, 766 or 666 at HL. Some people suggest that the 666 conditions are for those with better LNAT scores but I don't really know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What offers have Warwick been giving out?

ReputationRep:
    Just got a rejection from UCL due to my LNAT essay as expected because it was just 300~400 words, though I got an offer from Birmingham so I'm not too sure how bad it was exactly

Does anyone know how much weightage UCL, KCL, Durham and Birmingham put on the LNAT? And how long were your essays?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.