The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wtf happened to Smarties cookies? Can't find them anywhere.
Reply 1441
Original post by Jimmy Seville

Do you even ASDA.
Original post by Rk2k14
Do you even ASDA.

But i'm not on benefits so don't shop there.
Original post by Rk2k14
@leinad2012
Thoughts on watching The Dark Knight to get some understanding of Game Theory?
GOAT film.

For the boat scene I'm assuming? Haven't watched it in a while so can't remember what happens, good twist of a zero sum game iirc

Original post by Dirtybit
You want understanding of Game Theory?

Watch A Beautiful Mind

GOAT film

Brilliant film, but doesn't really go into game theory much apart from the bar scene, and even then it doesn't do justice to Nash. But then you couldn't really do him justice in a movie. Still amazing film, if you like it I'd strongly recommend the tv show Mr Robot.

Best game theory video of all time is definitely golden balls video on youtube where the guy tells the other he's stealing but will split the cash after the show, turning the payouts from the game from prisoners dilema (where both players want to deviate and steal) to a co-operative game (where the other player is better off splitting)
Reply 1444

Catch Shed at Waitrose.

Coop used to always sell them?
Original post by leinad2012

Brilliant film, but doesn't really go into game theory much apart from the bar scene, and even then it doesn't do justice to Nash. But then you couldn't really do him justice in a movie. Still amazing film, if you like it I'd strongly recommend the tv show Mr Robot.

Cheers for reminding me, I remember someone mentioning that to be before but I forgot about it
Reply 1447
Original post by leinad2012
For the boat scene I'm assuming? Haven't watched it in a while so can't remember what happens, good twist of a zero sum game iirc

Best game theory video of all time is definitely golden balls video on youtube where the guy tells the other he's stealing but will split the cash after the show, turning the payouts from the game from prisoners dilema (where both players want to deviate and steal) to a co-operative game (where the other player is better off splitting)

Yeah, when the prisoners were on one boat and the civilians on the other.

Just seen the golden balls video. Was very clever.
mathematically you should always steal on golden balls tbh, idk why people decide to split.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
mathematically you should always steal on golden balls tbh, idk why people decide to split.

Could go in to socio-psychological theorem but let's just put it simply. Do you want to be known as the guy who betrayed somebody on national television?

If Goldenballs was behind closed doors, then of course steal every time. But many people aren't comfortable with millions of people knowing they're a financial backstabber :tongue:

You're thinking of Iceland

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Could go in to socio-psychological theorem but let's just put it simply. Do you want to be known as the guy who betrayed somebody on national television?

If Goldenballs was behind closed doors, then of course steal every time. But many people aren't comfortable with millions of people knowing they're a financial backstabber :tongue:

[video="youtube;Jt87KuZutHI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt87KuZutHI[/video]
the name of the game is gabos lucio, gabos.

you can't be trusting the people you're playing with anyway, don't let emotion override logical decision making in golden balls its too risky.
[video="youtube;Jt87KuZutHI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt87KuZutHI[/video]
the name of the game is gabos lucio, gabos.

you can't be trusting the people you're playing with anyway, don't let emotion override logical decision making in golden balls its too risky.

Regardless though, emotion and stereotypes play a major part in a game like this - Pretty girls and old ladies use this to their advantage a huge amount.

It's actually a fascinating study and my absolute favourite part of the game is when somebody gets voted off but they're telling the truth, and somebody stays on but completely lied :biggrin:
Reply 1453
Really annoys when people feel that they need to come across serious and pisssed off at work all the time

Why the f*ck can't you just be pleasant?

Like, you see your colleagues more than your family and friends so you might as well be pleasant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From a financial perspective definitely, irrelevant of the other persons move you are at least as well off or better off by stealing. But you're known as a **** forever.
That's why what the guy did (saying he'd steal but split the cash after the show if the other guy split) was so clever. It turned the scenario on it's head so the other person was always as well off or better off by splitting and mathematically should have split (loke he did).
But then again, he didn't factor in the fact that some people would be pissed at trying to be tricked and would steal to get some payback. He got lucky that the other guy was mathematically rational.
Original post by Dirtybit
Cheers for reminding me, I remember someone mentioning that to be before but I forgot about it

No problem. Probably the best tv show I've watched in the last 3 or 4 years. A real masterclass and can't wait for season 2
Mr Robot is trippy, felt like I was the one on morphine tbh. Keeps you guessing though which is refreshing but also doesn't leave too many questions unanswered. Feels like a PG version of Utopia which im gutted got cancelled.
Mr Robot is a complete mindf**k of a show. Easily the most intellectually, religiously and ethically stimulating show I've kept up with.

I've watched the first episode of Daredevil, is it worth keeping up with?
Reply 1457

Na, it makes sense to split tbh. I would do what that guy did on golden balls and say that I would share the money after the show.

The girl who was telling that guy to split and being so sad that then stole was a cold hearted bitch.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Na, it makes sense to split tbh. I would do what that guy did on golden balls and say that I would share the money after the show.

The girl who was telling that guy to split and being so sad that then stole was a cold hearted bitch.

have you seen the one where she steals less than a fiver :lol:

pretty sure i have trust issues if i'd never pick the split ball, but yeah i'd end up sharing the money after the show, wouldn't snake someone by giving them a sob story i'd just tell em straight.
have you seen the one where she steals less than a fiver :lol:

pretty sure i have trust issues if i'd never pick the split ball, but yeah i'd end up sharing the money after the show, wouldn't snake someone by giving them a sob story i'd just tell em straight.

It's just a variation of the Prisoner's Dilemma which is really interesting - I've had to read entire books on this area of game theory.

Logically, it's always best to steal regardless of what the other person does. The issue is that if your opponent steals, you'll go away with £0 regardless of what you choose to do. Why not spite them and steal yourself?

People often use that to rationale their decision to steal, saying that they knew the opponent would steal and they didn't want them to get away with it. There are so many variations of Prisoner's Dilemma - Goldenballs is one of the most basic but look how tense and interesting it gets both socially and financially?

And yeah, that woman who stole less than £3 is an absolute bitch to be honest. Still the logical choice though...

Latest