The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keepyourapology
I did too! finally, someone who did the same comparison as me. I've been worrying about it all day. I talked about how in both poems, both poets depicted difficult times despite Minhinnick not being involved in the tribulations himself. I also talked about the use of language, such as the violent 'spasm', 'blockade' and 'disrupted'. An odd point..but I also talked about how in both poems, there was a glimmer of hope in the penultimate stanzas but both were taken away, showing that this was their life now, immersed in grief and immersed in a war torn society. I hope I get an A, I did a pretty bad job..

I'm sure you did well! My points were quite similar to yours, how the grief has become a cycle and that they cannot be free from it! (shown in Yellow Palm by "the fruit fell in his arms" showing a possible inheritance of conflict and the grief that comes with it, and in Poppies with the "dove" where her son possibly wants to stop beig a burden on her, but she cannot escape the grief as she reminisces!) I hope my writing makes sense to the examiner because I was sort of chucking down all of my thoughts as I had to rush a bit near the end. But overall, an alright exam I'd say!
I compared Medusa with Give!

I talked about so much in the unseen poem, it was so good. I talked about how because he wasn't 'born' with claws and antlers he wasn't inherently evil or dangerous and it's the weapons that make him dangerous. I also talked about the oxymoron of the idea of a bullet 'nuzzling' too. Nuzzling is associated with affection and love, but it's literally talking about a bullet tearing into peoples hearts.

I brought up the idea of hunger being a need, showing he almost has a need for blood and flesh instead of just a desire. Talked about the power of the word 'lads' due to it having connotations to very young men, usually teenagers. These are very young people dying. Because of this I mentioned how it's Owen trying to shed light on the horrors of how young people can be when they're sent to war.

The structure also almost juxtaposes itself, it's divided into 3 stanzas of equal length which may equate to the straightforward, uniform no nonscence ways of a military but the rhymes and half rhymes give it a melody which can equate it to children's songs and nursery rhymes, perhaps showing how war is just a game. I don't know, I think I waffled! (I mentioned more than these but this is what I remember off the top of my head, hah)

Overall I loved that paper!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lessanne
Looooool I read it as nuzzle as well!!

I am pretty sure it said "nuzzle" because most people said that is what they analysed, or I'm going crazy!
Original post by louisemayorx
I am pretty sure it said "nuzzle" because most people said that is what they analysed, or I'm going crazy!

Original post by lessanne
Looooool I read it as nuzzle as well!!

lol I thought it did say nuzzle???
I compared poppies with the falling leaves. I was so happy cos the only poems I revised yesterday was poppies with falling leaves and the right word with Belfast confetti and they both came up aha

hoping I get an A :smile:

it literally said nuzzle but u see the word play with muzzle which is violent and nuzzle which is soft
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ellamoon_22
Title- Arms links to military and weapons eg. Arms race
Summary: war is depicted in negative light when he joins war he is changed and exhilarated/ pacifism
Opening stanza
"How cold steel" physical temp but the weapons are a extended metaphor for soldiers in war the word old links to the apathy of their vicious actions war
"Keen with hunger of blood" weapons are personified the word hunger portrays soldiers as animalistic and There is a sinister tone the boy once in war changes and could be exhilarated by Murder ( demonic imagery at end), the word blood links to danger
"Like a madmans flash" is a simile and links to the crazy action of killing
"Blue" links to cold could refer to death
"Stroke" is soft he is getting used to war being brainwashed
Alliteration to present weapons "blind blunt bullet heads"
I accidentally read it as nuzzle so said links to innocence of young boy and juxtaposes violence the bullets will be in their early cause dead "Muzzle"

some of my answer not whole thing soz

Don't worry, it said nuzzle! I talked about how nuzzling is affectionate and how that juxtaposes with the idea that in reality its talking about bullets ripping into the hearts of young men.
Anyone who did the Character and Voice poetry cluster compare Medusa with The River God?

I found there was so much to talk about when comparing those two poems! Managed to cover everything: language, structure, form and titles! Today's exam could not have gone better - definitely made up for Monday's exam for me. :biggrin:
Anybody compare 'The Ruined Maid' with 'Les Grands Seigneurs'? I'm so happy this question came up, it was perfect! Unseen was good too :smile:
lol i did medusa with the horse whisperer. is that ok. I'm predicted an A so i hope its ok hehe
Original post by ellamoon_22
Title- Arms links to military and weapons eg. Arms race
Summary: war is depicted in negative light when he joins war he is changed and exhilarated/ pacifism
Opening stanza
"How cold steel" physical temp but the weapons are a extended metaphor for soldiers in war the word old links to the apathy of their vicious actions war
"Keen with hunger of blood" weapons are personified the word hunger portrays soldiers as animalistic and There is a sinister tone the boy once in war changes and could be exhilarated by Murder ( demonic imagery at end), the word blood links to danger
"Like a madmans flash" is a simile and links to the crazy action of killing
"Blue" links to cold could refer to death
"Stroke" is soft he is getting used to war being brainwashed
Alliteration to present weapons "blind blunt bullet heads"
I accidentally read it as nuzzle so said links to innocence of young boy and juxtaposes violence the bullets will be in their early cause dead "Muzzle"

some of my answer not whole thing soz

That's a good response but it never said the boy went to war. The narrator insisted that the boy should know how cold steel is and something something. Did you not have anything to say about the bestial imagery and reference to God ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That exam was a godsend. I did conflict section and it went great!
Did anyone compare The Right word with At the border,1979?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tcs145
What was both of the questions for the AQA conflict cluster again? One was about The right word and the other was poppies ?

The right word one was;
Compare how the poem the right word and a poem of your choice present how causes of conflict cause different attitudes to people.
It was something along the lines of that.
Original post by rihana.c
lol I thought it did say nuzzle???

I definitely was nuzzle!!! Besides, it makes sense in the context it was written in
I'm sure you did well! My points were quite similar to yours, how the grief has become a cycle and that they cannot be free from it! (shown in Yellow Palm by "the fruit fell in his arms" showing a possible inheritance of conflict and the grief that comes with it, and in Poppies with the "dove" where her son possibly wants to stop beig a burden on her, but she cannot escape the grief as she reminisces!) I hope my writing makes sense to the examiner because I was sort of chucking down all of my thoughts as I had to rush a bit near the end. But overall, an alright exam I'd say!

Yeah it was okay, I guess, but my poetry is usually a hit or miss. Once I got a 13, the other time I got a 32. It's ridiculous and I'm really tentative about this. But yeah, what can ya do, right? Good luck. x
I compared The Right Word with Futility, did anyone else do this??
I did Poppies and Bayonet Charge, did anyone else???
Original post by Ziggyyyy
I did Poppies and Bayonet Charge, did anyone else???

Same! I absolutely love bayonet charge
I did the right word and bayonet charge and no one else I know did, help???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending