Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    was there any question we had to say excess NH3? - can't remember where I put it.. I really hope i didn't put it after KCN in ethanolic solution as the next step was OBVIOUSLY H2/Ni (which I hope I put) and which I have gotten correct every time it has come up in past paper questions.. Mind goes loop-de-loop in exams ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medlad101)
    thank god hahahaha, it sounds right but we'll have to wait and see
    Yeah hopefully there will be more than one option other than it being more soluble!!

ReputationRep:
    alsooo you know the very first Q... i put ch3cooh +h2o ----> ch3coo- + h3o+
    is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I can't see why not - it's the most valid method I've seen so far.

Besides, it was a unit 1 synoptic question and I think AQA were hinting at that by the way they asked the question.
    Yeah, thats the only I thought was possible.. Did any others use empirical formula method??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilies18)
    is that ok?
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    tests for acyl chloride- can you use sodium hydrogen carbonate?
    I used Na2CO3 - No change with Ketone, Effervescence with acyl chloride

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackmilne95)
    Hey what did everyone tick for the number of C peaks? was it 9?
    Yeah I put 9 - there were 14 carbons but 5 were the same due to symmetry : C6H3(CH3)2-NH-CH2-C(O)-N-(CH3CH2)2

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is exactly what I put and it is right.

The RCH2Cl bond (C-Cl) is not polar enough without a strong base catalyst like NaOH. So, if you put "AgNO3" without NaOH, you will get full marks for white precipitate with the acyl chloride and no change with the RCH2Cl. If you put "AgNO3 with NaOH", CE=0.
    Yass! That's the thinking I had too but afterwards nobody else put this so im glad I found this haha

ReputationRep:
    It may be possible that they allow more than one answer (but not one with iodine) I would have thought. If lots of candidates offer alternatives (which is possible) and as long as you justify it properly, this may be the case.

Or M1 may be dependent on a properly explained M2.
    does anyone remember the exact question for this?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    What did everyone write for the question asking why is the initial rate of the reaction used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobodyCares)
    Yeah I put 9 - there were 14 carbons but 5 were the same due to symmetry : C6H3(CH3)2-NH-CH2-C(O)-N-(CH3CH2)2
    Sweet cheers buddy

ReputationRep:
    any thoughts on what the grade boundaries will be like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuaazAnsari)
    Yh you can
    I reacted the acyl chloride with water which would give white HCL fumes, I'm not sure about reacting the acyl chloride with NaHCO3 because the carbonate reacts with the acid group releasing carbon dioxide. I cant remember the question but please someone else tell me I didnt make that up haha

ReputationRep:
    is that ok?
    So did I, and it's right. The water will act as a base and rip a proton off of the CH3COOH to form the carboxylate ion.

The second one made me think a bit more though and I think I got:
    HNO3 + CH3COOH ---> CH3COOH(2)+ + NO3-
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    So did I, and it's right. The water will act as a base and rip a proton off of the CH3COOH to form the carboxylate ion.

The second one made me think a bit more though and I think I got:
    HNO3 + CH3COOH ---> CH3COOH(2)+ + NO3-
    Do you think they will accept if you put them as one as they are going to be ionic if you get what i mean so I wrote . CH3COOH2NO3

ReputationRep:
    any thoughts on what the grade boundaries will be like?
    I guess:

120 UMS = 90/100
    108 UMS (A*) = 82/100
    A = 74/100

I got CHEM2, PHYA1 exactly right last year and PHYA2 1 mark off, so you can have confidence that I tend to guess quite well!

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483...11787/?fref=ts JOIN THE PAGE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolgurl14)
    Do you think they will accept if you put them as one as they are going to be ionic if you get what i mean so I wrote . CH3COOH2NO3
    Ionic is the standard, however, I've never not seen them go 'allow [the ionic compound]' in the mark scheme.

So you should get that, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycares)
    yeah i put 9 - there were 14 carbons but 5 were the same due to symmetry : C6h3(ch3)2-nh-ch2-c(o)-n-(ch3ch2)2
    was that the first box?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I said the acyl chloride will give a white precipitate with agno3 but the other one will form a white pp really slowly, is this wrong???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.