Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What Pokemon Go team did you choose?
    Team Valor (Red)
    33.10%
    Team Mystic (Blue)
    46.57%
    Team Instinct (Yellow)
    20.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Fair enough. I'm doing the same and currently have 53 evolutions ready with about 25 pidgeys to be evolved (280 candies). I think I'll use my lucky egg soon which should take me from lv 21 to 22 too

That moment when, having been disappointed by a 10k egg producing a kabuto and getting 2x rattata and 1x magikarp from 2k eggs, you find a wild Lapras at CP 1400

My new highest pokemon!
    You want a crap Pokemon from a 10k egg? Pray you don't get one of these...

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471870956.196064.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  77.7 KB

Max CP is like 700 and something...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Found this app called RadarGo and is super useful in locating nearby Pokemon, helped me find a nearby Squirtle and Pikachu today. =D

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471883758.061362.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  72.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    You want a crap Pokemon from a 10k egg? Pray you don't get one of these...

Max CP is like 700 and something...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea I hatched an Onyx before.

I think I've had 2x Magmar, Scyther, Onyx, Omanyte and Kabuto from my 10k eggs..

EDIT: added another 61,000 XP with my third lucky egg. Was about 55 evolutions (with 4 new and also traded in 2 pidgey evo worth at the end as had 4 minutes left after 55 evolutions). I think next time I should aim for having 65 evos ready but I'm so impatient each time.

Level 22 now so making decent progress. I imagine you have to use one lucky egg per level by this point since need 100k xp (have done 18k xp so far).

How do people feel about high CP pokemon with terrible move sets? I've got a CP 1150 Seaking with peck (flying) and icy wind (ice) moves so no water move to get STAB. I think in Pokemon Go the STAB is 1.25x? Seems to me getting pokemon with the right moveset is better than trying to get perfect IVs.

If you have the STAB + super effective damage due to type advantage, you're looking at just over 1.5x damage amount which puts you way ahead in comparison. I'll probably carry on using my CP 950 Vaporeon over my CP 1100+ Starmie and Seaking due to move type

Got about 10 pokemon over CP 1000 now but only half of them seem useful due to terrible movesets?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I have not even considered attacks yet...but that is a very good point. Then again, I have heard that every evolution you get random movesets so focusing on IV is the only thing you can do and hope the evolution gives a good moveset.

But atm I am just farming Pidgeys again, I really want my next lucky egg evolution cycle, since the next one will include my 95% IV Magikarp.

That should already get me way on the way to level 24 since by the time I have 70 evolutions (I am aiming for 70, I think I can do it with concentration) I will almost be 23 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I hatched an Onyx before.

I think I've had 2x Magmar, Scyther, Onyx, Omanyte and Kabuto from my 10k eggs..

EDIT: added another 61,000 XP with my third lucky egg. Was about 55 evolutions (with 4 new and also traded in 2 pidgey evo worth at the end as had 4 minutes left after 55 evolutions). I think next time I should aim for having 65 evos ready but I'm so impatient each time.

Level 22 now so making decent progress. I imagine you have to use one lucky egg per level by this point since need 100k xp (have done 18k xp so far).

How do people feel about high CP pokemon with terrible move sets? I've got a CP 1150 Seaking with peck (flying) and icy wind (ice) moves so no water move to get STAB. I think in Pokemon Go the STAB is 1.25x? Seems to me getting pokemon with the right moveset is better than trying to get perfect IVs.

If you have the STAB + super effective damage due to type advantage, you're looking at just over 1.5x damage amount which puts you way ahead in comparison. I'll probably carry on using my CP 950 Vaporeon over my CP 1100+ Starmie and Seaking due to move type

Got about 10 pokemon over CP 1000 now but only half of them seem useful due to terrible movesets?
    22 is around 1 lucky egg per level, yeah, 23/24/25/26 goes up to 2 though D:

STAB is 1.2x damage, with a type advantage giving 1.25x, meaning if you have both you'll have exactly 1.5x damage against the opponent. Unfortunately, movesets are random upon capture/evolution and there is no way to change them (hoping they introduce a TM system or a move change system for 25 coins or such). Seaking is a particularly bad Pokemon for gym battles anyway, at least in my experience.

Evolved a lucky egg set of Pokemon earlier, including my second Gyarados. I got Bite and Twister AGAIN for **** sake. This Gyarados is around 1800 too -_-. Also evolved my Dragonair into Dragonite and his moveset is Steel Wing and Dragon Claw, which is okay but not really great :/.

So, in conclusion, movesets are damn important. A great Pokemon with a terrible moveset can screw you over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)

Evolved a lucky egg set of Pokemon earlier, including my second Gyarados. I got Bite and Twister AGAIN for **** sake. This Gyarados is around 1800 too -_-. Also evolved my Dragonair into Dragonite and his moveset is Steel Wing and Dragon Claw, which is okay but not really great :/.

So, in conclusion, movesets are damn important. A great Pokemon with a terrible moveset can screw you over.
    How do I know how good a Pokemon's moveset is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    It's really based off the DPS (Damage per second) because that's really what matters. So, how fast the attack is and how powerful it is. If I recall, Vaporeon's most powerful move is Hydro Pump but, it's best move is Aqua Tail because you can use it more than once and is slightly better in DPS.

Although, I do need to ask a question guys.
    Why is it Lapras's (or at least mine), whenever it uses blizzard takes a while for any damage to occur?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I have not even considered attacks yet...but that is a very good point. Then again, I have heard that every evolution you get random movesets so focusing on IV is the only thing you can do and hope the evolution gives a good moveset.

But atm I am just farming Pidgeys again, I really want my next lucky egg evolution cycle, since the next one will include my 95% IV Magikarp.

That should already get me way on the way to level 24 since by the time I have 70 evolutions (I am aiming for 70, I think I can do it with concentration) I will almost be 23 anyway.
    Yea I just noticed as I've been thinking about more gym battles recently. The random moveset is annoying enough when catching but to then have them change on evolution is so frustrating. I can see the appeal on focusing on Lapras/Snorlax which are strong but also you don't have to worry about moveset afterwards!

Ugh yesterday I just found loads of rattatas instead of pidgeys. Hardly see any weedles or caterpies..

22 is around 1 lucky egg per level, yeah, 23/24/25/26 goes up to 2 though D:

STAB is 1.2x damage, with a type advantage giving 1.25x, meaning if you have both you'll have exactly 1.5x damage against the opponent. Unfortunately, movesets are random upon capture/evolution and there is no way to change them (hoping they introduce a TM system or a move change system for 25 coins or such). Seaking is a particularly bad Pokemon for gym battles anyway, at least in my experience.

Yea it's a big increase at this point and I've only got 2 lucky eggs left at the moment!

Worst is when you're trying to evolve something hard I guess. What are Gyarados' best/ideal moves you'd want? I'm only at 160 candies so some way to go yet!

I guess the main thing is that you want same type attacks to the type it shows your pokemon to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    It's really based off the DPS (Damage per second) because that's really what matters. So, how fast the attack is and how powerful it is. If I recall, Vaporeon's most powerful move is Hydro Pump but, it's best move is Aqua Tail because you can use it more than once and is slightly better in DPS.

Although, I do need to ask a question guys.
    Why is it Lapras's (or at least mine), whenever it uses blizzard takes a while for any damage to occur?
    And I can just google what is best for each Pokemon?

ReputationRep:
    And I can just google what is best for each Pokemon?
    Yep. Best thing is just to google it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Use this:
    https://pokeassistant.com/main/movelist?locale=en

Yea I just noticed as I've been thinking about more gym battles recently. The random moveset is annoying enough when catching but to then have them change on evolution is so frustrating. I can see the appeal on focusing on Lapras/Snorlax which are strong but also you don't have to worry about moveset afterwards!

Ugh yesterday I just found loads of rattatas instead of pidgeys. Hardly see any weedles or caterpies..

Yea it's a big increase at this point and I've only got 2 lucky eggs left at the moment!

Worst is when you're trying to evolve something hard I guess. What are Gyarados' best/ideal moves you'd want? I'm only at 160 candies so some way to go yet!

I guess the main thing is that you want same type attacks to the type it shows your pokemon to be?
    Yeah, it's a giant pain in the arse when it's a Gyarados or Dragonite, etc. Or if it's a Snorlax/Lapras which you can really only get from eggs or lucky spawns.

For Gyarados, the ideal moveset is Bite/Hydro Pump. Bite, being a dark move, doesn't get STAB but it means that Gyarados can take down Psychic Pokemon with ease, rather than just being Water/Water type moves. It's the fact that it has Twister as it's secondary attack which, if you look at the link I posted above, is among the worst DPS moves in the game. Terrible for such a good Pokemon.

You'll get another lucky egg at 25, but at this point it might be worth saving up some coins to buy some from the store.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help btw that site looks very useful

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help btw that site looks very useful
    Yeah it has an evolution calculator and an IV calculator which are both great.

Btw, in the next update, the game will allow you to calculate a Pokemon's IVs, eliminating the need for external IV calculators.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it has an evolution calculator and an IV calculator which are both great.

Btw, in the next update, the game will allow you to calculate a Pokemon's IVs, eliminating the need for external IV calculators.
    Where did you find out update info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    Where did you find out update info
    Twitter + Reddit.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoNews/st...34458578305024

ReputationRep:
    So close now to being able to get an Ivysaur and a Wartortle. =D
    Logged in this morning (about 5 minutes after waking up) to find a Squirtle on my nearby list, thinking of my luck I then said out loud "Oh come on, it's too early to leave and there's no way I'm going to get it!", 3 seconds later it spawns right next to me! XD

Still haven't seen a charmander though...
    Seen a couple of silhouettes going down to my aunt and uncles but they never spawned. =(

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, the gym at my station is level 8. Seriously?!

:sad:

ReputationRep:
    Annoyed now...

Have less than an hour until I could claim the last 20 coins and then I could upgrade my bag and someone takes BOTH gyms in my area... What makes it worse is I thought this couldn't happen because they were both level 6...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They have added an appraise function when you click the 3 lines option (to favourite/transfer pokemon).

Doesn't say that much information but will tell you what their best attribute is so maybe that can help you narrow down in the IV calculators?

ReputationRep:
    They have added an appraise function when you click the 3 lines option (to favourite/transfer pokemon).

Doesn't say that much information but will tell you what their best attribute is so maybe that can help you narrow down in the IV calculators?
    Their response differs based on the IVs of the Pokemon:
    http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-appraisal

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.