The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Sturgeon is being more than opportunistic in asking for a referendum on a question that was settled two years ago.

There should be a mechanism preventing governments holding a second referendum on the same issue within ten years of the first. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A small state is not necessarily one that does not dictate, and when are you going to break out of this perpetual habit of assuming smaller state means less spending everywhere and dictating nothing?

Are you also seriously telling me that it is not only illegal, but impossible for somebody to kill themselves without the state doing it for them? About 6000 people a year in the UK alone seem to disagree. If somebody seriously wants to end their life they will do it, few people who claim to want to can't, offloading the responsibility to the state just means those who don't really want it get to throw the life they do actually care about away. There is a reason I always say that if the victim is sufficiently able bodied (basically all the victims) they should have to pull the proverbial trigger themselves, I imagine in that scenario suddenly the body count will plummet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But assisting is illegal and that's the issue. It's not about the state doing it for them. Is about the state allowing people to do it in a dignified manner especially if they lack the capabilities to do so themselves.

It's far less painful and far more dignified for the person if they can get it done by a qualified doctor.*

ReputationRep:
    Now it's being claimed that the decision charge Clinton was made, but the call came down from the top not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Sturgeon is being more than opportunistic in asking for a referendum on a question that was settled two years ago.

There should be a mechanism preventing governments holding a second referendum on the same issue within ten years of the first. *
    She hasn't had enough attention recently, of course she's being optimistic.

Polling today gave 48% against a referendum and 37 for, and then the polling shows that they will vote the same way, and when they finally get in their heads that an independent Scotland won't be allowed in the EU the margin will only grow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A bit early for a G+T but in my defence I am at a film premiere and it is sponsored by the London Mayor. Sadiq Khan may say a few words.

I got here by public transport.*

ReputationRep:
    The EU has failed in its accounts being audited for a 22nd year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Marmite Crisis is over! A product which is a fine example of using things that would otherwise be wasted. Don't like it mind you.

ReputationRep:
    The EU has failed in its accounts being audited for a 22nd year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be fair, is not the only reason ours get signed off because we own/control the NAO.

ReputationRep:
    Jammy Duel joecphillips which one of you was in the Question Time audience this evening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Jammy Duel joecphillips which one of you was in the Question Time audience this evening?
    I've just turned it on what happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I've just turned it on what happened?
    Some silly/angry/naive kid with an afro came out as a Trump supporter, the QT audience and twitter were not amused.

ReputationRep:
    For me the tapes just prove Trump is a complete ass, not that Hilary is more preferable than him.

Not that i'd vote for him anyway (probably Gary Johnson as a protest) but i'd be far more content with a Trump presidency on the grounds that senate Republicans and Democrats despise him and won't let him do a thing than i would Hilary who would be just as useless but up the rectum of the corporate world and pandering to minority groups.

The only real concern with Trump for me is his positive view to Russia and Putin.

ReputationRep:
    Bloomberg reporting that the Brexit negotiations will be controlled by a "European Union Exit and Trade Committee" of 12 ministers, including every cabinet member who voted for Brexit (6) and Rudd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    For me the tapes just prove Trump is a complete ass, not that Hilary is more preferable than him.

Not that i'd vote for him anyway (probably Gary Johnson as a protest) but i'd be far more content with a Trump presidency on the grounds that senate Republicans and Democrats despise him and won't let him do a thing than i would Hilary who would be just as useless but up the rectum of the corporate world and pandering to minority groups.

The only real concern with Trump for me is his positive view to Russia and Putin.
    Since when have conservatives been put off by someone's closelenss to the corporate world?!*

That would be like a UKIP voter being put off by party's anti immigration stance.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt about the fact that Emily Thornberry is an intelligent and clever woman, but seriously?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Since when have conservatives been put off by someone's closelenss to the corporate world?!*

That would be like a UKIP voter being put off by party's anti immigration stance.
    I don't believe we should tax them to death or anything or even that they are inherently bad but generally speaking i'm for small business capitalism and meritocracy.

Plus i'm quite a fan of governments which almost literally do nothing (because at half of what they do is either useless or bad).

ReputationRep:
    Multinational corporations are overrated, we'd be far better off if we had a "take it or leave it" style tax law, if you don't comply, you don't trade in the UK, simple as that.

Then the small businesses, with ethical tax payments, who plough more money into their local areas, will benefit, as will the local communities

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

A lot of policies are also nowhere near as mad as people think they are, they are just told he's crazy and so assume the policies are without actually looking at them, or even outright assume he does not have any.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of policies are also nowhere near as mad as people think they are, they are just told he's crazy and so assume the policies are without actually looking at them, or even outright assume he does not have any.
    Except a lot of them are. The wall for one, which will cost an absolute fortune and do little to solve the illegal immigration issue considering:
    (a) illegal immigration is falling rapidly already
    (b) a massive problem with regards to illegal immigration is people staying illegally which a wall won't help
    (c) Mexico stops a huge number of illegal immigrants every reaching America. They're America's most effective wall.
    (d) the idea that Mexico will pay for the wall is laughable

The plan to ban Muslims was of course crazy given that he's now already backtracked on that going for 'extreme vetting' instead. How would a ban against Muslims even work? You gonna ask everyone what religion they are as they come in?

His economic plans are beyond ludicrous. He wants to massively increase spending AND massively reduce taxes at the same time which is frankly impossible unless he wants of course to borrow huge amounts, which won't do much good for the deficit.
    His tax plans are so ridiculous that even the Tax foundation came out and said that his plans would cost the USA over $2.6 trillion in the next decade at a lighter estimate.

As for people assuming he doesn't have any policies. Well he clearly doesn't know a lot of his own policies given that when asked what his health policy was, he replied 'we're gonna do so many good things'. Right, okay great policy.
    Then there is of course his wonderfully well thought through and detailed foreign policy of 'we're gonna knock out ISIS'.

His policies are bat sh*t crazy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe we should tax them to death or anything or even that they are inherently bad but generally speaking i'm for small business capitalism and meritocracy.

Plus i'm quite a fan of governments which almost literally do nothing (because at half of what they do is either useless or bad).
    I don't buy it for a second that you're opposed to a candidate for being up the ass of big business. You have NEVER once expressed reservation about the closeness of the tories, or indeed Blair to big business.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.