University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartalan73)
    So basically I could go home any time after 2nd but could stay up until 19th? As long as I've stayed in college the required number of nights already that term?
    Depends on your college, but if you're on a term time only contract you may have to move out well before the 19th, in case they are using your room for conferences/interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrman2000)
    Thank you so much for the advice! I didn't get anywhere near that amount of A*s, but I got A*s in all of the hardest, most relevant subjects(Maths and sciences). I got all A*s and As, in my 11 subjects. I go to a below average school (non-private). Surely this should be ok, as long as I do really good in my A-levels. I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm pretty good at Maths and Physics, so I think I can do well at A level.

Over the summer is when I have only REALLY got into programming. I learnt Java, Python, CSS, HTML and a little bit of Swift. Although I find it easy to learn them, I am nowhere near fluent, and cannot code as fast or efficiently as I would like. I am thinking about doing projects similar to what you have done, but I need this fluency. What would you suggest that I do to improve my fluency? What age did you start programming?

On top of those projects, I was thinking about creating a drone with an arduino/Raspberry Pi inside, and creating a program which would allow it to fly itself(or at least fly itself to a certain extent). I also have a few good ideas for apps; but again, fluency. Again, thank for the response!!!!
    No problem. As you say, A-levels are more important than GCSEs. I think the best way to improve your programming skills is by writing programs. Think of an interesting project (but not something impossible) and start doing it, looking on the internet for help when you get stuck. It doesn't matter if you don't finish it; I think most programmers have loads of half-finished projects lying about (at least I do). One thing you could try is making a text based game, or a personal website (you might also end up learning JavaScript). A drone or an app also sounds good. You could also try focusing on one language in particular. I started programming with GameMaker (drag and drop code) at the age of 10ish, and learnt Python the summer before year 10. But it doesn't really matter when you start; some people get into Computer Science courses without having done any (although probably not that many people do that).

It's suddenly dark and thundery here and my mum suggested that it's the start of judgement day.

I got upset because that would mean I never started at Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartalan73)
    Can anyone please explain the difference between 'full term' and 'university term'? Like it says FT ends on 2nd December but UT ends on 19th December so does that mean we can't go home until 19th December?
    You only have to,stay during Full Term.
    They have what it's called Residentail Week which is one week each before a full term starts and after a full term ends, during which time you can stay at college (usually with extra cost) if you want to.
    If you want to stay outside full term, you need to book a room in advance by a certain day. (Including for residential week)
    If the college has already planned something for your room, you may have to stay in another room for the period.

I *think* 'University Term' is when administrative offices and other functions of university is open for full operation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    It's suddenly dark and thundery here and my mum suggested that it's the start of judgement day.

Not going to be surprised if my plane crashes tbh

ReputationRep:

Either judgement day or you are in the North of England.

(Original post by Zacken)
    Hold tight
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Either judgement day or you are in the North of England.
    Indeed I am

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I am
    Go the North :-) It was thundering where I am before but then it stopped. Now it's started again. Doesn't seem to know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Go the North :-) It was thundering where I am before but then it stopped. Now it's started again. Doesn't seem to know what to do.
    All quiet in York. Think the West is copping it.

:five:
    It's rained quite a lot and calmed the thunder down. It was lightning like mad but the scariest was the sudden darkness

ReputationRep:
    :five:
    It's rained quite a lot and calmed the thunder down. It was lightning like mad but the scariest was the sudden darkness
    I'm enjoying the darkness now. The lightning is pretty against the dark sky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    No problem. As you say, A-levels are more important than GCSEs. I think the best way to improve your programming skills is by writing programs. Think of an interesting project (but not something impossible) and start doing it, looking on the internet for help when you get stuck. It doesn't matter if you don't finish it; I think most programmers have loads of half-finished projects lying about (at least I do). One thing you could try is making a text based game, or a personal website (you might also end up learning JavaScript). A drone or an app also sounds good. You could also try focusing on one language in particular. I started programming with GameMaker (drag and drop code) at the age of 10ish, and learnt Python the summer before year 10. But it doesn't really matter when you start; some people get into Computer Science courses without having done any (although probably not that many people do that).
    Thanks! This means so much to me, whether I apply to Cambridge or not. Would it be okay if I dm you asking you questions in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    TBF the booklet of maths courses does suggest you should do the optional history of maths and theoretical physics courses as a nice relaxing break from the other maths.
    It'll be nice to perhaps regain my interest in theoretical physics (which A-level physics killed ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrman2000)
    Thanks! This means so much to me, whether I apply to Cambridge or not. Would it be okay if I dm you asking you questions in the future?
    Yeah, sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Crossing my fingers and toes for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Crossing my fingers and toes for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ty bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always think 'what the hell have I gotten myself into?' when the NatSci workload is mentioned...
    When people mention saturdays I just cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson2)
    Hey... you still get a 1 day weekend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Hey... you still get a 1 day weekend!
    1 day to go out shopping for tissues to supply the other 6!

(Original post by ThatPerson2)
    Ikr

What even

How is that legal

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.