The Classics Society Mk II Watch

Sappho
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by *Corinna*)
if it's your poem can you please tell me what comes after the final line???
No, because my tongue is paralysed, and I am an oral poetess.
*Corinna*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sappho)
No, because my tongue is paralysed, and I am an oral poetess.
hahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!

PRSOM
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Best post I've seen in a while on TSR LOL.
*Corinna*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
wow Sappho, you made the Lyceum laugh, this is a big success!!
Apeiron
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yellowpurpleyellow)
Hi everybody!

I need a few examples (i have a few, but could use some more!) of how the effects of the classical world are still felt in society today... Any thoughts?
I would suggest the following rather broad topics:

the debate about the structure of society (individual/family/state);
the investigation of the physical cosmos;
the idea of ethics;
the use of axiomatic method in mathematics.
Sappho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by *Corinna*)
wow Sappho, you made the Lyceum laugh, this is a big success!!
I know, I'm quite flattered.

I have a new lecturer in Greek, and the first words he said to us were "F*** it!". Sounds promising, doesn't it? I think we'll have fun together.
Apeiron
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know, I'm quite flattered.

I have a new lecturer in Greek, and the first words he said to us were "F*** it!". Sounds promising, doesn't it? I think we'll have fun together.
That's an uncommon way to translate oimoi but I suppose he had his reasons.
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thought I'd share this little gem I came across:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._a_Roman_Town/

Spoiler:
Show
Though I don't really know whether it fully deserves that commendation since I haven't seen it yet.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Apeiron)
That's an uncommon way to translate oimoi but I suppose he had his reasons.
I loved my Professor when doing Ancient Greek and Greece.

Especially the lecture which focused on arse-downers.
yellowpurpleyellow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

the idea of ethics;
Hey yeah i'd never considered the physics or maths ones, they're really good!! Thank you xxx
yellowpurpleyellow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

the idea of ethics;
Sorry to quote you twice - i really liked your answer!

I've also been asked to write about one thing - only one! - about the classical world that's particularly fascinated me, and i have a 500wrd limmit. I've not done any classical subjects before, and my place at uni depends on this answer :/ do you have any suggestions as to how i should go about it? What do you think they (the uni) would think is a good answer? Should i talk about the politics or art or way of life or a piece of lit? And how can i make it all an impressive answer in only 500wrds?

Anyone who's read this, i would greatly appreciate your input too... I'd appreciate any input at all!
Sappho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I've also been asked to write about one thing - only one! - about the classical world that's particularly fascinated me, and i have a 500wrd limmit. I've not done any classical subjects before, and my place at uni depends on this answer :/ do you have any suggestions as to how i should go about it? What do you think they (the uni) would think is a good answer? Should i talk about the politics or art or way of life or a piece of lit? And how can i make it all an impressive answer in only 500wrds?

Anyone who's read this, i would greatly appreciate your input too... I'd appreciate any input at all!
I guess it'd be good to try not to make it too generic. Maybe speak about some things you experienced yourself, that's kind of what I did in my PS. They might be sick of hearing stuff like "Oh, the Greeks survive in our philosophy! And so much Latin and Greek in English words!". I'd go for something more "exotic" that still makes sense. Ancient answers to modern problems? How would Plato explain why Twilight is rubbish? Are trivial comedy shows ruining our culture? What are alternatives to contemporary educational systems? Should Germany get away with the hegemony it's pursuing in the EU? Of course it all depends on your interests and on how much you're already familiar with what areas Classical subjects touch upon.

Let me know if this makes no sense
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
Thought I'd share this little gem I came across:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._a_Roman_Town/

Spoiler:
Show
Though I don't really know whether it fully deserves that commendation since I haven't seen it yet.
Is it Beardy's programme? It was on TV last year, if so. Quite interesting, but nothing really educational if you already know something about Pompeii. I think my personal highlight of the programme was the Prof.'s crouching over an ancient lavatory translating the erudite bog-wall graffito, Marcus hic bene cacavit.
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Since it's used for admissions and so quite important to you, if you wanted, you could PM what you write to a few of us to look over and offer some comments -- I don't think that many of us would mind doing that, I wouldn't at least.

And I like Sappho's idea about relating the ancient to the modern in a semi-quirky way, especially since you only have 500 words to work with, although you could do something plainer and pull it off just as well too. Once you've chosen a topic, we may be able to give you some advice on things you could namedrop consider.
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've seen way worse, and occasionally almost as witty, stuff scrawled on the toilets in Latin and Greek incidentally. My favourite one roughly translates (though if I recall with terrible accentuation): "As Kallimakhos says, a big evil". Genius...
yellowpurpleyellow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess it'd be good to try not to make it too generic. Maybe speak about some things you experienced yourself, that's kind of what I did in my PS. They might be sick of hearing stuff like "Oh, the Greeks survive in our philosophy! And so much Latin and Greek in English words!". I'd go for something more "exotic" that still makes sense. Ancient answers to modern problems? How would Plato explain why Twilight is rubbish? Are trivial comedy shows ruining our culture? What are alternatives to contemporary educational systems? Should Germany get away with the hegemony it's pursuing in the EU? Of course it all depends on your interests and on how much you're already familiar with what areas Classical subjects touch upon.

Let me know if this makes no sense

(Original post by jismith1989)
Since it's used for admissions and so quite important to you, if you wanted, you could PM what you write to a few of us to look over and offer some comments -- I don't think that many of us would mind doing that, I wouldn't at least.

And I like Sappho's idea about relating the ancient to the modern in a semi-quirky way, especially since you only have 500 words to work with, although you could do something plainer and pull it off just as well too. Once you've chosen a topic, we may be able to give you some advice on things you could namedrop consider.
#

Thank you guys soo much!! I'm gonna try and write something now and i'll message you guys when i have i really appreciate your help!!
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it Beardy's programme? It was on TV last year, if so. Quite interesting, but nothing really educational if you already know something about Pompeii. I think my personal highlight of the programme was the Prof.'s crouching over an ancient lavatory translating the erudite bog-wall graffito, Marcus hic bene cacavit.
This year whenever I see a latin word now I instantly start to just think, 'right then, how is that declined, what does it tell me about the word'. Which is a great improvement of last year where I just looked it up in the grammar.
Sappho
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think my personal highlight of the programme was the Prof.'s crouching over an ancient lavatory translating the erudite bog-wall graffito, Marcus hic bene cacavit.
You do realise I know feel like putting that on a toilet wall? Maybe as Marcia though, in a female toilet. Sorry, this post makes no sense. I'm procrastinating from my tutorial reading although it's actually really interesting... Sooo tired! :yawn:
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You do realise I know feel like putting that on a toilet wall? Maybe as Marcia though, in a female toilet. Sorry, this post makes no sense. I'm procrastinating from my tutorial reading although it's actually really interesting... Sooo tired! :yawn:
I've been reading an article on Isidore of Seville's (620-630s) Etymologies and just worked out that perhaps it doesn't actually have anything to do with the seminar tomorrow and might instead just be help if you want to do geographical writing for the source commentary....might finish reading it first and then go to bed.
Apeiron
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Maybe something on democracy (search, e.g., on Cleisthenes) would make a good topic for you. Plenty of scope for ancient/modern comparison there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise