Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by 419)
    You haven't came up with anyone because you can't. Obviously letting the players contract run down was a risky MO but, let's face it, as much as us fans would love believe it, Gazidis with his MBA isn't stupid and Wenger isn't either. There's a reason why they didn't extend these players contract possibly due to the fact that we didn't want to give them a pay grade too early (Emirates fanancial restraint) and Agent Dein (the son of every Arsenals fan favourite ex-board member)- we can't force players to sign on especially when their Agents controllng them.

The Rooney example is a rubbish one. He still had, about 18 months left on his contract and, I doubt he really wanted to leave Utd. Just wanted more money which he got.

And now, lets look at our squad from 2007-2008 (our best season post Invincibles and see what happend to the players).

Lehmann- Retired
    Sagna- ****ing off soon and good riddance
    Toure- sold to city left unceremoniously because of the Gallas
    Gallas- ****ed off contract ran down, thank god
    Clichy- sold to city

Senderos- lol, at Fulham via AC
    Djorou- on loan, still with us
    Eboue- left

Rosicky- still at club
    Diarra- left as he is highly unpatient and wanted first team football
    Hleb- wanted to go to the sun
    Diaby- still on the injury bed
    Cesc- went home
    Flamini- left, at AC. Interesting one will talk about it at the end
    Denilson- indulging in his wages
    Silva- lost his place in team to Flamini, left at the end of the season

Adebayor- ****ed off and good riddance.
    RVP- left for Utd
    Eduardo- got his lef broken.

OI'm addidng Nasri to the list as well.

As you can see, there isn't really a player there thathas left and would be an improvement on our current crop better except for Nasri, RVP and Cesc. Wenger coaxed all the juice out of those players and most that have moved on are rarely setting bum on fire.

Flamini's case is the only one where I feel the club massive ****ed up. When he left, when lost 3 players in that position. Gilberto, was probably going to be sold within the next 2 season at the time, and Diarra, who was brought in to replace him couldn't get any game because somehow, Flamini did something and became an awesome player overnight (just hours before he was going to be sold to Birmigham) and thus Diarra left for Portsmouth. We should've tied Flamini up to a contract once he pushed Gilberto out of the team and realised that Diarra was going to leave.

Now with the emirates financial restraint placated, and with all these new money coming in, we don't have any excuses to let contract run down. So, if we are a truely feeder club, the next 5 seasons will confirm that. But, I think you'll find that it won't.
    Great post, fully agreed with almost all of that. :yep: It's a difficult debate to lay to rest because the term 'feeder club' is pretty much slang doesn't really have a standard definition (apart from the 'proper' definition of a club who's actual purpose it is (via either establishment or agreement) to provide experience for another team). In addition to you analysis of transfers, I'd say we're not a feeder club because that's just not the psychology that seems to pervade at the club at the moment; promising players who join traditional 'feeder clubs' often do it with the presumption and clear intent that they'll probably be moving on - say what you will, but I can't think of a single player we've signed in the past decade who hasn't joined to bolster our quest for trophies; if we sign the likes of Jovetic and Draxler in the summer, I doubt they'll come in saying 'Well, this is gonna be cool but I'll probably be off to Barcelona later lol'. It's accurate enough to say our status has declined a bit over the last couple of seasons, but I don't think the feeder-club label is very well thought-out.

(Original post by 419)
    You haven't came up with anyone because you can't. Obviously letting the players contract run down was a risky MO but, let's face it, as much as us fans would love believe it, Gazidis with his MBA isn't stupid and Wenger isn't either. There's a reason why they didn't extend these players contract possibly due to the fact that we didn't want to give them a pay grade too early (Emirates fanancial restraint) and Agent Dein (the son of every Arsenals fan favourite ex-board member)- we can't force players to sign on especially when their Agents controllng them.

The Rooney example is a rubbish one. He still had, about 18 months left on his contract and, I doubt he really wanted to leave Utd. Just wanted more money which he got.

And now, lets look at our squad from 2007-2008 (our best season post Invincibles and see what happend to the players).

Lehmann- Retired
    Clichy- sold to city

Eboue- left

Rosicky- still at club
    Cesc- went home

RVP- left for Utd
    Eduardo- got his lef broken.

OI'm addidng Nasri to the list as well.

As you can see, there isn't really a player there thathas left and would be an improvement on our current crop better except for Nasri, RVP and Cesc. Wenger coaxed all the juice out of those players and most that have moved on are rarely setting bum on fire.

Flamini's case is the only one where I feel the club massive ****ed up. When he left, when lost 3 players in that position. Gilberto, was probably going to be sold within the next 2 season at the time, and Diarra, who was brought in to replace him couldn't get any game because somehow, Flamini did something and became an awesome player overnight (just hours before he was going to be sold to Birmigham) and thus Diarra left for Portsmouth. We should've tied Flamini up to a contract once he pushed Gilberto out of the team and realised that Diarra was going to leave.

Now with the emirates financial restraint placated, and with all these new money coming in, we don't have any excuses to let contract run down. So, if we are a truely feeder club, the next 5 seasons will confirm that. But, I think you'll find that it won't.
    That fabregas flamini partnership was magical, could have run riot in teh prem for years imo

ReputationRep:
    Is the Puma deal just a rumour or has it been signed?

Haven't kept on top of Arsenal's finances recently and Swiss Ramble seems to have stopped updating/writing new pieces on his blog

Not much stadium debt + new shirt + stadium sponsorships + new tv deal = lotta money?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how Wilfried Zaha feels he thought he'd be playing under Fergie :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

Haven't kept on top of Arsenal's finances recently and Swiss Ramble seems to have stopped updating/writing new pieces on his blog

Not much stadium debt + new shirt + stadium sponsorships + new tv deal = lotta money?
    John Cross reporting it makes it 99% true, every single informed Arsenal ITK on twitter is buying it so that's good enough for me.

In theory Arsenal will be above Bayern for club revenue from 2014 so either the club or Kronke are going to be very rich indeed. Hoping Wenger goes all out because with Ferguson retiring and Chelsea/City unreliable I think he genuinely has a chance to add titles in the next few years.

Not official yet, but the sources breaking the story are allegedly very reliable, so. :dontknow: I'm never really in the loop with regards to this kind of stuff. People seemed similarly confident that a deal with Adidas had been wrapped up just a couple of months ago, so I'm going to be respectfully uncertain. :mmm:

ReputationRep:

Still cant believe the nike deal was only worth 8mill a year

ReputationRep:

I really hope it's true. It's 10m+ where I think a par fee would be. I also think it might be true, given that puma aren't really paying big bucks to any team iirc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Still cant believe the nike deal was only worth 8mill a year
    The nike deal was a necessary evil. It was a pretty decent deal at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    The nike deal was a necessary evil. It was a pretty decent deal at the time.
    All this news about new deals is great and everything but its no good if Arsene is still limited to spending 70mill this summer.

ReputationRep:
    So what are the finances like now? Anyone got any numbers for me?

Just curious how much the revenue has increased in the past few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

Lehmann- Retired
    Clichy- sold to city

Eboue- left

Rosicky- still at club
    Cesc- went home

RVP- left for Utd
    Eduardo- got his leg broken.

I'm addidng Nasri to the list as well.

As you can see, there isn't really a player there that has left and would be an improvement on our current crop except for Nasri, RVP and Cesc. Wenger coaxed all the juice out of those players and most that have moved on are rarely setting bum on fire.

Tbf when you put it that way it makes sense. Obviously wenger has been building a team since 10-11 season and trying to remain as competitive as possible with financial constraints, although I feel that he could have clearly tried a bit harder to keep a player or two and that could have got a trophy. I am a staunch defender of wenger though and think he shouldn't leave until the emirates project has payed off.

From what you're saying though it seems like wenger is blatantly content with 4th place atm as it's the only way to pay off the emirates. I can see some light with your current team personally but even then it seems like you buy/coach a player, wait till they're at a top level above most of the clubs current crop and sell them. If that's not possible you'll have to give them a bumper contract(see walcott), you probably just have to hope united fall off as I feel liverpool will challenge in 2/3 seasons and reach top 4.

I guess feeder club is the wrong word though. At first sight it seems feeder but wenger has sold all those players for a reason, maybe fabregas should have gone a year earlier so you could have squeezed the juices out of him as you say. But ramsey was injured at the time so obviously fabregas was needed at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    All this news about new deals is great and everything but its no good if Arsene is still limited to spending 70mill this summer.
    Do you need more than 70mill tbh? Sagna needs replacing, won't cost more than 10million. Need a DM, won't cost more than 15 unless you're going for wanyama and need a striker, which varies quite a lot in price. For all I know giroud will step it up next season.

Might need a winger as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Do you need more than 70mill tbh? Sagna needs replacing, won't cost more than 10million. Need a DM, won't cost more than 15 unless you're going for wanyama and need a striker, which varies quite a lot in price. For all I know giroud will step it up next season.

Might need a winger as well.
    so jovetic for 25mill leave 45mill on 3 players, its very hard to get top quality players in any position for 15mill unless we do extremely well in negotiations, to do it with 3 different players is even harder. If your gonna spend 15mill on an out an striker your just gonna buy another giroud so if we sell padolski and gervinho that money should be added to 70mill available to wenger. Added to that I think we need a centerback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    so jovetic for 25mill leave 45mill on 3 players, its very hard to get top quality players in any position for 15mill unless we do extremely well in negotiations, to do it with 3 different players is even harder. If your gonna spend 15mill on an out an striker your just gonna buy another giroud so if we sell padolski and gervinho that money should be added to 70mill available to wenger. Added to that I think we need a centerback
    I don't think podolski should be sold. Really look at how many strikers that have been bought for cheap. Really you just need someone who can get goals if jovetic is there he'd be the out and out striker(like what van persie did) and I reckon stefan will be able to get goals in this league considering the quality of serie A's defending and the **** defending in this league this season.

Why do you have to break the bank for a player if you don't want to break the wage structure? Personally I think essien would be a good option if we don't want him when he comes back. A CB will be needed, an RB will be needed, a DM will be needed and jovetic. RB's come cheap(azpilicueta was like 8mil e.g.) so 10 mill tops for that, A CB is needed which will cost the majority of the money bar jovetic for 25mil.

If I include the 35mill for jovetic and a RB you will have 35 mill to spend on two players. Be a DM and a winger. It's more than possible. Then if you sell gervinho that'll give you a little bit more money. 70million is enough personally.

(Original post by yaboy)
    Who do you think we're going to get such that we spend over 70 mil? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Who do you think we're going to get such that we spend over 70 mil? :lolwut:
    Lionel messi and matt hummels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Lionel messi and matt hummels.
    Gonna have to double that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Gonna have to double that
    Tbf I did say 'over' 70mil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Even when Chelsea went on their spending hype, they only spent about around 100mill.

70 mill is A LOT especially given we only need, at best, 3 pristine signings.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.