Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by theCreator)
    UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME F321

1a)i) The mass of an atom of an isotope of an element compared with 1/12 of the mass of an atom of c-12.

a)ii) 39K ~19 protons 20 neutrons 19 electrons
    41K+ ~19 protons 22neutrons 18electrons
    b) 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p2
    c)i) 3.01 x10 ^22

c)ii) Alternating K+ and Cl- Ions (But simply + and – is also acceptable.
    2)a)i) 2 Main ions are Al(3+) and (SO4)2-
    ii) Al203 (s) + 3H2SO4 (aq) à Al2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3H2O (l)
    iii) x represents the number of water molecules present in the crystalline structure (water of crystallisation)
    iv) x=16
    b)i) It turns red because HCl is an Acid
    ii) ClO-

3)a)i) P has been both reduced and oxidised. Oxidised from 0 to +3 and reduced from 0 to -1.
    ii) volume of PH3 = 360cm^3
    b) 4PH3 + 802 à P4H10 + 6H20
    c)i) Because the H+ ions have been replaced with a metal ion, in this case Zn.
    ii) Moles of H3PO4 = 0.0015
    iii) 22.5cm^3
    d)i) NH3 = Hydrogen Bonding, PH3 = Permant Dipole-Dipole attraction
    ii) Because hydrogen bonding is a stronger intermolecular force requiring more energy to break
    e)i) A shared pair of electrons supplied by one of the bonding atoms only.
    ii) Essentially the same as in the diagram on the earlier page on the dative covalent bond is labelled between nitrogen and boron.
    iii) BF3 = 120*, H3NBF3 = 109.5*
    iv) To put it shortly NH3 has 3 bond pairs and 1 lone pair giving it an angle of 107*, but now in H3NBF3 it has 4 bond pairs and no lone pairs making it assume the tetrahedral shape with an angle of 109.5*.

4a) -increase nuclear charge outweighed by increase atomic radius
    -more shells;more electrons;more inner shielding effect by inner electrons;
    decrease nuclear attraction. easier to remove outer elect to react with halogens. reactivity increases hence reaction more vigorous down the group
    b)i) AgNO3 (Silver Nitrate)
    ii) A yellow precipitate would be produced
    iii) Ag+ (aq) + I- (aq) à AgI (s)
    iv) concentrated NH3 (ammonia)

5)a)i) Across the period, atomic radius decreases and nuclear charge increases making the attraction between the nucleus and outermost electron stronger and require more energy to break. (The electron shielding effect also remains the same).
    ii) It is unnecessary because first ionisation energy takes place when the atoms are gaseous, so there would be no giant covalent structure anyway.

5b) Fill the boxes in of the table stating the properties of lithium, carbon and fluorine (6)

Li = Bottom box: Delocalised electrons
    C = Top box: Giant Covalent, Middle Box: Covalent bonds, Bottom Box: Again covalent bond or a shared pair of electrons
    F2 = Middle box: van der Waal’s forces, Bottom Box: None since there are no particles between the molecules.
    If this is what the real one will be similar to then I've only lost 5 marks! Thanks you've put my mind to rest so I can move onto F324 and F325 without thinking anymore into this one

ReputationRep:
    for the intermolecular forces question i put permanent dipole-dipole for NH3 and then Van Der Waals, guessing thats all marks lost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    If this is what the real one will be similar to then I've only lost 5 marks! Thanks you've put my mind to rest so I can move onto F324 and F325 without thinking anymore into this one
    Same!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6995)
    for the intermolecular forces question i put permanent dipole-dipole for NH3 and then Van Der Waals, guessing thats all marks lost
    its just 2 marks man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Django)
    Based on this I definitely lost 3, and maybe 4-5 max! I like your mark scheme
    We got the table right yeh? I'm a bit confused

ReputationRep:

1a)i) The mass of an atom of an isotope of an element compared with 1/12 of the mass of an atom of c-12.

c)i) 3.01 x10 ^22

ii) Al203 (s) + 3H2SO4 (aq) ---> Al2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3H2O (l)
    iii) x represents the number of water molecules present in the crystalline structure (water of crystallisation)
    iv) x=16
    ii) ClO-

3)a)i) P has been both reduced and oxidised. Oxidised from 0 to +3 and reduced from 0 to -1.
    b) 4PH3 + 802 ---> P4H10 + 6H20
    iii) 22.5cm^3
    ii) Because hydrogen bonding is a stronger intermolecular force requiring more energy to break
    ii) Essentially the same as in the diagram on the earlier page on the dative covalent bond is labelled between nitrogen and boron.
    iv) To put it shortly NH3 has 3 bond pairs and 1 lone pair giving it an angle of 107*, but now in H3NBF3 it has 4 bond pairs and no lone pairs making it assume the tetrahedral shape with an angle of 109.5*.

decrease nuclear attraction. easier to remove outer elect to react with halogens. reactivity increases hence reaction more vigorous down the group
    iii) Ag+ (aq) + I- (aq) ---> AgI (s)

5)a)i) Across the period, atomic radius decreases and nuclear charge increases making the attraction between the nucleus and outermost electron stronger and require more energy to break. (The electron shielding effect also remains the same).
    ii) It is unnecessary because first ionisation energy takes place when the atoms are gaseous, so there would be no giant covalent structure anyway.

5b) Fill the boxes in of the table stating the properties of lithium, carbon and fluorine (6)

C = Top box: Giant Covalent, Middle Box: Covalent bonds, Bottom Box: Again covalent bond or a shared pair of electrons
    F2 = Middle box: van der Waal’s forces, Bottom Box: None since there are no particles between the molecules.
    This is all correct! Well done
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    Same!

Awesome! Now you just need to smash unit 2 and C2 if I've read correctly? Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    For the dative covalent bonding do you have to put a bracket round the molecule and put a + or not?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by kingmango)
    For the dative covalent bonding do you have to put a bracket round the molecule and put a + or not?
    Yes as that's how it's shown in the textbook.

ReputationRep:

c)i) 3.01 x10 ^22

iv) x=16
    ii) ClO-

iii) 22.5cm^3

3ai) its 0 to -3 and 0 to +1 re check NAH2PO2
    Na= +1
    H2=+1+1
    P=+1
    O2=-2 -2 over all charge 0 so it +1

source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6054921AAcPnOX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    We got the table right yeh? I'm a bit confused

I deducted a mark for the table but i'm still not sure its exactly right

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the table

ReputationRep:

c)i) 3.01 x10 ^22

iv) x=16
    ii) ClO-

iii) 22.5cm^3

I may be wrong but i'm not sure about these 2. The tables asked for which particles the bond or forces were acting between, so for C surely it would be carbon atoms? And for F2 it would be between molecules??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackitsme)
    3ai) its 0 to -3 and 0 to +1 re check NAH2PO2
    Na= +1
    H2=+1+1
    P=+1
    O2=-2 -2 over all charge 0 so it +1

source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6054921AAcPnOX
    woops sorry typo, I copied that answer from someone else

ReputationRep:
    woops sorry typo, I copied that answer from someone else
    LOOOOL I CORRECTED THAT GUY YOU COPIED OFF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OL,i was wondering its familiar,heart attack twice in a day XD

ReputationRep:
    I may be wrong but i'm not sure about these 2. The tables asked for which particles the bond or forces were acting between, so for C surely it would be carbon atoms? And for F2 it would be between molecules??
    Yeah thats what i put
    F2molecules and carbon atoms in a covalent bond

ReputationRep:
    c)i) 3.01 x10 ^22 this question someone said you times the answer by 5 so you get molecules not atoms ?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyylikejetz)
    Yeah thats what i put
    F2molecules and carbon atoms in a covalent bond
    I think we're right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyylikejetz)
    c)i) 3.01 x10 ^22 this question someone said you times the answer by 5 so you get molecules not atoms ?!?!?!?
    I did that but not sure whether it was right or not...

ReputationRep:
    I think we're right
    ahhh you can say between atoms and between molecules,its one mark each,no need to be specific but either your right

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.