The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GCSE grades: A* s
A-Levels: History/French/English/Politics
Course: Law
College: Hertford
Original post by William Turtle
I find it interesting that the number of neurotics applying (or planning) to Cambrdige, who make such threads, is far greater than the number for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No need to be rude.
Original post by William Turtle
I find it interesting that the number of neurotics applying (or planning) to Cambrdige, who make such threads, is far greater than the number for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worst thing is, three people have given your thoughtless comment a positive rating.
Original post by BritishBean
Anyone else applying for Biological Sciences in October? :smile:

Hi I'm thinking about it but I'm taking on so much risk. Cos I've had a Waterloo in my AS. I got a C in English and I was to apply to English at Oxford, so I'm now forced to choose sth else and probably somewhere else which is heartbreaking. I've been interested in Biology and Psychology/Neuroscience and stuff for all my life though, and my Bio is an A, so I might take on Biological Sciences.
Original post by Mr...
I'll just wait for the 2018 thread :tongue:

Are you going into Year 11? I technically should have waited and posted my reply on the future 2018 thread.
Original post by MoonVirgo
Hi I'm thinking about it but I'm taking on so much risk. Cos I've had a Waterloo in my AS. I got a C in English and I was to apply to English at Oxford, so I'm now forced to choose sth else and probably somewhere else which is heartbreaking. I've been interested in Biology and Psychology/Neuroscience and stuff for all my life though, and my Bio is an A, so I might take on Biological Sciences.

Rather than settle for an alternative, it sounds like it would be worth asking for a second chance and re-sitting your English exam. Now you have experienced it, you'll be better placed to prepare for the exam and plan your essays :smile: x
Hi guys my AS results are heartbreaking. I ran out of time and was only able to finished one of the two essays in English and I got a C. I got full marks for my first one and for the second one, which I only managed to write an intro and begin analysing the first quote, I was rewarded with 3 marks. =.=
Before this C came along I was a passionate and strong English candidate and was on full gear to applying for English at Oxford, but now I have give up English and this feels like death. I now have to take up either a Biology degree or a Psychology one cos I got an A in Bio and Geography, and my EPQ is about dystopian fiction and I infused with cognitive psychology by looking at it this way.
Everyone thinks I can't make Oxford now as I'm nowhere as prepared with Psychology/Biology as I am with English - I wouldn't have enough to put into my personal statement given I'll have only a bit more than a month before the deadline. I will have to be under extra pressure cos the process is stressful and rushed and I'd still have normal school work along with my extra reading and building up knowledge on psychology/biology in the meantime. Also with my C... they're thinking the chance is slim, and that I should be realistic and face the truth and stick with Psychology or Biology at somewhere else.
But isn't it the fact that if you don't apply you don't get in? It's with this notion that I'm tempted to risk. My GCSE results are above average - 11A*. And it isn't my lack of ability that I got that C... (ok alright lack of exam techniques =.= )
Do you reckon if I'm still fit for Oxford?... I'm dying to know...

First of all, you need a hug :hugs:Stop, breathe. Whatever happens, you'll be okay, I promise.

I'm no expert, but I just wanted to say that there is no point in applying for a course that you are not passionate about. Studying/applying to Oxford is stressful as heck and will only be rewarding if you are truly passionate and push yourself to continue because you love what you do. If you are not anywhere near as passionate for Biology or Psychology as you are for English, don't study it.

I would recommend giving up on applying for Oxford (disheartening as it may seem) to spare yourself the unnecessary heartache and stress. There are plenty of other great institution still open to you which will allow you to study something what you want. Though I only know a bit about the Oxbridge applications process, I think it would be difficult applying for English there now (though not impossible) and too stressful and unnatural to have to tailor yourself to another subject.

Sorry if this advice sounds crappy, I know how much it sucks to feel like you can no longer achieve your dreams, but you can. Life goes on, that C will not define you for the rest of your life. You'll get through this. Speak to teachers and staff on hand at your school for admissions advice (not sure how ignorant/informed your school is about Oxbridge applications) and support to help you decide how best to proceed with the process.

x
Hi guys! I would like some help deciding if I stand a better chance at Oxford or Cambridge? My AS results are good but UMS aren't very high;
A (93%) Maths
A (83%) Further Maths
A (87%) Physics
A (81%) Biology
B (79%) Chemistry - having remarked, need 2UMS for A

Since the UMS aren't great, Oxford seems like a better option but Oxford looks at GCSEs and mine were pretty poor, 4A*s 5As and 3Bs. So now I'm stuck between Cambridge which doesn't look at GCSEs and Oxford which doesn't look at UMS. I don't really expect to get in but I think it's worth a shot anyway, where would I stand a better chance?
Original post by georgiaf
Hey, couldn't you just re-sit the English exam? If you're like me, and have set your heart on English, I would re-sit. Your school don't need to mention the C, as long as they predict you an A/A* I would imagine it wouldn't affect your chances :smile:

Thank you mate yes surely I will. :smile:) But doesn't Oxford look at your UCAS? If so then they'll see my C I put on there for English and I'm just so worried they won't even call me for an interview. T.T I'm at a disadvantage as I've only done 3 AS and for heaven's sake English turned out to be my worst subject. The exam officer at my school is also my English teacher and he doesn't see me getting in English at Oxford at all... T.T
Thank you mate yes surely I will. :smile:) But doesn't Oxford look at your UCAS? If so then they'll see my C I put on there for English and I'm just so worried they won't even call me for an interview. T.T I'm at a disadvantage as I've only done 3 AS and for heaven's sake English turned out to be my worst subject. The exam officer at my school is also my English teacher and he doesn't see me getting in English at Oxford at all... T.T

Are you going to let the opinion of one person crush your dreams? Not if you want to do English at Oxford!!

Follow your heart, and don't fret about it. Ultimately, what will be will be, but provided you've done the best you can to improve your chances and you have displayed a clear passion and drive for what you love in your PS, your chances are no worse than anyone else's.

x

Aw you poor thing, so disheartening when a teacher doesn't support you! No, it's Cambridge that look at UMS; because AS grades aren't certificated you don't have to declare them, so they only see your predicted grades as far as I'm aware. So if you could convince your teacher that you can retake and get an A, they can predict you the A/A* you were originally aiming for. That said, it might be an idea to take a gap year, then apply with your final grades? Or you could go for other uni's: if you like Oxford's course I'd look at Durham, Exeter, Warwick, UCL etc, they're pretty similar :h:
Original post by klefki
Hi guys! I would like some help deciding if I stand a better chance at Oxford or Cambridge? My AS results are good but UMS aren't very high;
A (93%) Maths
A (83%) Further Maths
A (87%) Physics
A (81%) Biology
B (79%) Chemistry - having remarked, need 2UMS for A

Since the UMS aren't great, Oxford seems like a better option but Oxford looks at GCSEs and mine were pretty poor, 4A*s 5As and 3Bs. So now I'm stuck between Cambridge which doesn't look at GCSEs and Oxford which doesn't look at UMS. I don't really expect to get in but I think it's worth a shot anyway, where would I stand a better chance?

What are you applying for? I know someone doing maths at St Hughes Oxford who got Bs at GCSE. Your GCSEs are fine so long as you got A* in relevant subjects and your AS are really good! I'd say go for oxford
Thought I would repost now I know my AS :smile:

Course: History & Politics
College: Magdalen
AS: History - A (97%)
English Literature - A (95%)
Politics - B (getting remarked)
Maths - C (getting remarked)
I'm thinking of applying for Law, but I feel like my A level subjects put me at a disadvantage :/ (Maths, Physics, French...) Any insight?
Hi guys my AS results are heartbreaking. I ran out of time and was only able to finished one of the two essays in English and I got a C. I got full marks for my first one and for the second one, which I only managed to write an intro and begin analysing the first quote, I was rewarded with 3 marks. =.=
Before this C came along I was a passionate and strong English candidate and was on full gear to applying for English at Oxford, but now I have give up English and this feels like death. I now have to take up either a Biology degree or a Psychology one cos I got an A in Bio and Geography, and my EPQ is about dystopian fiction and I infused with cognitive psychology by looking at it this way.
Everyone thinks I can't make Oxford now as I'm nowhere as prepared with Psychology/Biology as I am with English - I wouldn't have enough to put into my personal statement given I'll have only a bit more than a month before the deadline. I will have to be under extra pressure cos the process is stressful and rushed and I'd still have normal school work along with my extra reading and building up knowledge on psychology/biology in the meantime. Also with my C... they're thinking the chance is slim, and that I should be realistic and face the truth and stick with Psychology or Biology at somewhere else.
But isn't it the fact that if you don't apply you don't get in? It's with this notion that I'm tempted to risk. My GCSE results are above average - 11A*. And it isn't my lack of ability that I got that C... (ok alright lack of exam techniques =.= )
Do you reckon if I'm still fit for Oxford?... I'm dying to know...

I know how you are feeling now. I got AAAC for my AS result, with Biology one UMS off a B. Since I am studying double Maths along with Economics and Biology, I may be considered having achieved AAC. I don't know the chance of being admitted into Oxford PPE, assuming I scored above 70 in the TSA and have a decent performance in the interview together with a strong personal statement.
Do I stand a better chance for maths at Cambridge or Oxford? (Considering that STEP is harder than MAT), I got 9A*s and 1 A at GCSE, and 97% A* in maths A2, then 94%, A in Chem and Phys As. I can't tell how hard Step is and whether I stand a chance at all. (I wil be taking the MAT anyway for imperial)
Original post by Ivoryfall
Rather than settle for an alternative, it sounds like it would be worth asking for a second chance and re-sitting your English exam. Now you have experienced it, you'll be better placed to prepare for the exam and plan your essays :smile: x

Hi thanks! I will be resitting my English but that will be next summer and I'd already have to submit my UCAS this autumn with whatever I've got now... So my taking on a second-choice subject is a part of this plan of mine which I didn't say and am not sure if it'd work: I'd get into a uni and do their Psychology or Biology degree and in that year, as I'd already have done my resit and hopefully got some better-looking grades, reapply through UCAS to English at Oxford and hopefully get an unconditional offer. For a private and a familial reason a gap year isn't possible :frown: so the only option into English at Oxford is this...
Lol I hope this makes sense...
Original post by HeisenbergWW
I'm thinking of applying for Law, but I feel like my A level subjects put me at a disadvantage :/ (Maths, Physics, French...) Any insight?

You can do law with almost any set of A levels, including all science subjects. Having some evidence that you can write is helpful, though, and I'd imagine that French provides that.
GCSE grades: 6A* 6A and a B in further Maths
AS Levels: 4 As in History, German, English Language and English Lit (87% average)
A-Levels- History A* (97% at A2) English Lit A* (100% at A2) and German A (although I only got 76% at A2) an A* in my EPQCourse: Law
College: No idea
I've already got a firmly accepted offer to Law at Nottingham starting in September, but my head of sixth form and headmaster have recommended that I take a year out and apply to Oxford for 2016 entry. So I'm now in a massive dilemma and have now idea what to do as I'd absolutely love to go to Oxford but it seems risky to discard my offer from Nottingham. Realistically what are the chances of getting in on those grades along with a decent LNAT score (I got 28 last year) and has anyone else here been in a similar sort of position?
Original post by marthaklambert
Do I stand a better chance for maths at Cambridge or Oxford? (Considering that STEP is harder than MAT), I got 9A*s and 1 A at GCSE, and 97% A* in maths A2, then 94%, A in Chem and Phys As. I can't tell how hard Step is and whether I stand a chance at all. (I wil be taking the MAT anyway for imperial)

Your grades so far would be fine for either and don't offer any indication of whether you're likely to do better on STEP or MAT. Have you visited either/both of the universities? Which do you prefer? If I were in your position, I'd probably opt for Oxford because you're taking MAT any way and it'll mean you have one less thing to worry about next summer.

Latest

Trending

Trending