Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archi-student124)
    Hey guys I'm just thought it might be handing to reply to some of the messages. I applied for architecture to start in 2016 and I was fortunate to get offers including Ucl. I think going to their summer school or any summer with definitely help, I went to a Ucl summer school last year and they asked me about it lots during The interview and I think they like it as it shows passion.

Doing and EPQ or any kind of extended project is a create idea as you can talk about it in your personal statement and lots of different universities will appreciate this. And read as many architecture books as you can and put those in your PS. Because you can't study architecture at A-level the aim is to show your passion actively for this area in anyway you can and over the summer is a great time to do this.
    Hope this helps x
    Thank you so much for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starsfly)
    I am also going to the Ucl summer school! Which one are you going to??
    Mine starts on 22nd August-26th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRMatt)
    Thank you so much for this
    No problems let me know if you need anything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRMatt)
    Mine starts on 22nd August-26th
    Im doing school F
    U're doing the summer skill up one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starsfly)
    Im doing school F
    U're doing the summer skill up one?
    Mine does not have a letter? I'm just doing the residential one for Architecture

ReputationRep:
    Who's put university of Sheffield as their firm? (:

ReputationRep:
    I have a dilemma

Basically I took maths, chemistry, biology and Spanish at A Level, thinking I wanted to go into science at Uni. However I don't, I've always loved art and my one biggest regret is not taking it at A Level. I took it at GCSE and for and A* but stupidly I let my family persuade me not to take it. I am really interested in architecture and I'm currently in Year 12 and sitting my AS Levels. I would really like to apply to Architecture but I don't know where to start, I haven't got Art A Level. Everyone is booking uni open days and I haven't even booked one yet?? I can either retake the year or just do an art foundation year at uni?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated☺️☺️Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle_16)
    I have a dilemma

Basically I took maths, chemistry, biology and Spanish at A Level, thinking I wanted to go into science at Uni. However I don't, I've always loved art and my one biggest regret is not taking it at A Level. I took it at GCSE and for and A* but stupidly I let my family persuade me not to take it. I am really interested in architecture and I'm currently in Year 12 and sitting my AS Levels. I would really like to apply to Architecture but I don't know where to start, I haven't got Art A Level. Everyone is booking uni open days and I haven't even booked one yet?? I can either retake the year or just do an art foundation year at uni?

Hey, there's no real perfect combination of a level for architecture really lots of people apply without an art a level so don't feel discouraged. They will ask for a portfolio anyway so you can show off your art skills there (: in your personal statement make sure to show off your flare for art to make up for the lack of the a level, hope this has helped (:

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you just take a year out and use that time to do some work experience and build up a portfolio? You wouldn't necessarily have to retake anything or do a foundation course - just build a case to prove how creative you are and that you can draw....

ReputationRep:
    ANYONE at all going to westminister?! Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nairline)
    ANYONE at all going to westminister?! Lol
    I am!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Danielle_16)
    I have a dilemma

You could take an art foundation diploma (note though that these are FE courses and so you won't get normal student finance for the year - you wont be charged fees but you also wont get money to live off unless your uni/college provide funding)- or you could try to put together a portfolio over the summer and apply next year (and if that doesn't work out then use the backup plan of a foundation diploma).

There are a number of summer school type courses that will help with portfolio preparation (most are a week (http://www.arts.ac.uk/chelsea/course...lding-18-plus/, http://www.gsa.ac.uk/study/short-courses/portfolio/ etc), some are shorter (http://arts.brookes.ac.uk/cpd/course...n-08-2016.html ) and AUB offer a 3 week long course (http://aub.ac.uk/courses/summer-cour...-design-media/ ). There's also a handful of summer school type experiences that are architecture specific: https://www.westminster.ac.uk/about-...-summer-school

If you think you can get good grades from your current subjects then you can continue and try for a place with a portfolio created in your spare time. I'd suggest that that plus a foundation diploma would be a better option than re-starting A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangostan)
    I am!
    Wooooo finally. I hadn't found anyone anywhere who is! Can I add you on FB haha

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone firmed Liverpool?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zadrnaks)
    Has anyone formed Liverpool?
    Not for Architecture but yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Not for Architecture but yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What have you firmed for?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What have you firmed for?
    Egyptology! Which accommodation have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Egyptology! Which accommodation have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey I sent you a private message

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for an architecture course through adjustment?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone firmed Liverpool?
    I have!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.