Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Nope

Nope
    10? i am shate at this lol. yeah i got wrong at the proton environment.

ReputationRep:
    Surely 3 proton enviroments?

HC-C=0 singlet
    HC-O Triplet
    HC-Benzene triplet

My bad forgot benzene. in that because benzene has 4 aromatic H environments too there will be 7 in total? for H NMR

I think there are 8 C enviroments

ReputationRep:
    https://faculty.missouri.edu/~glaser...06_Bronze1.pdf
    i don't understand where there would be 12 carbon environments for phenolphthalein

ReputationRep:
    6 proton environments, it's just that on an NMR spectrum the 3 benzene environments will appear as one messy peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chem1stry101)
    You will see a 5H multiplet for the benzene ring

Two triplets for the 2 CH2 groups

One singlet for the CH3 group

So 4 hydrogen environments
    Do you know what "multiplet" means? The benzene has 3 environments, each of which will produce probably doublets, triplets or doublets of doublets, depending on the resolution of the NMR.

ReputationRep:
    I think its 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    6 proton environments, it's just that on an NMR spectrum the 3 benzene environments will appear as one messy peak.
    The 3 environments would be fairly distinct and assignable, especially on the BS spectra they give you at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    ah okk cool i was confused as th spectrum had 4 peaks only

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i thought we are answering carbon environments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Do you know what "multiplet" means? The benzene has 3 environments, each of which will produce probably doublets or triplets, depending on the resolution of the NMR.
    But OCR counts all of the benzene Hs as one environment. And integrates them all together. So you won't see doublets or triplets. Just a multiplet. With an integration of 5H

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    The 3 environments would be fairly distinct and assignable, especially on the BS spectra they give you at A Level.
    agree the spectra is stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Sorry but please don't stress me out the night before the exam unnecessarily...in proton NMR for benzene rings we only look at one splitting pattern right......?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chem1stry101)
    But OCR counts all of the benzene Hs as one environment. And integrates them all together. So you won't see doublets or triplets. Just a multiplet. With an integration of 5H
    Just because they're all integrated together doesn't mean you can't assign them. You can see the splitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Sorry but please don't stress me out the night before the exam unnecessarily...in proton NMR for benzene rings we only look at one splitting pattern right......?
    I assigned them all when I did F324.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I assigned them all when I did F324.
    so why wouldn't I be taughtt this and why is it alien to me????????????????????????

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got the markscheme for f324 june 15 ???

ReputationRep:
    so why wouldn't I be taughtt this and why is it alien to me????????????????????????
    I don't know if I was taught it but I did it, because it's the correct way.

ReputationRep:
    Will alcohol + Na -> o- na+?

ReputationRep:
    For benzene you will just look for a (usually) messy signal at around 7ppm. It's unlikely you will be able to see the different benzene H environments in that area. Just look for the integration to find out how many times the ring is substituted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I don't know if I was taught it but I did it, because it's the correct way.
    https://gyazo.com/4466d9845c0fed137c580d4085972d86

how are they "fairly distinct and assignable" ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.