Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaMariaa)
    I reacted the acyl chloride with water which would give white HCL fumes, I'm not sure about reacting the acyl chloride with NaHCO3 because the carbonate reacts with the acid group releasing carbon dioxide. I cant remember the question but please someone else tell me I didnt make that up haha
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JAN07.PDF
    Question 7aii. was similar - they allowed most of the answers people are giving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluhbluhbuh)
    18:30- Updated- Version 2

18:12 Attempting version 1 of the unoffical mark scheme, will keep quoting this for others to see, may even start a thread. Please contribute i will update frequently before i start studying for my bio exam day after tomorrow heh rip

Misc: tell me where these go!!!

Equation representing ethanoic acid as a base with nitric acid:
    CH3COOH + HNO3 -> CH3CO+NO3- + H2O

Identify what reagents are needed to distinguish between the two chlorine molecules, incl. observation. (Acyl chloride vs haloalkane (?))
    Reagent: water/AgNO3 (?)/named carbonate
    Observation: HCl fumes/White ppt./Effervescence -for the acyl chloride.

Which Nitrogen acts as a stronger base a vs. b (where a is attached to the benzene, and b is a tertiary amine) and why?
    Nitrogen b due to the positive inductive effect of the carbons on the nitrogen, therefore making the lone pairs more available. Consequently nitrogen a is joined to a benzene so the lone pair delocalises into the benzene ring.

Order of reactions:
    D 1
    E 2

What is a racemic mixture?
    Mixture containing equal quantities of each enantiomer.

How to distinguish between the two:
    Expose to plane polarised light, rotates in opposite directions

Chiral Carbon relationship:
    They are both mirror images of each other/enantiomers.

Electrophile structure: CH3C(+)O

Reaction mechanism:
    Arrow from benzene ring to C+ in CH3C(+)O, then arrow from hydrogen attached to the same carbon as the CH3CO back into the incomplete benzene ring (from carbon 1-4 i believe).

5. Can't remember exact questions, let me know i'll update ! =)
    Notes:
    Zwitterions have R-N(+)H3 and a COO-
    Hydrogen bond between two amino acids: presumably show any partial bond from one hydrogen on one amino acid to either the nitrogen or oxygen on the other.
    Dipeptides- essentially amides formed from 2 amino acids.

Advantage of using the polyester suture rather than the polyalkene?
    the ester bond in polyester can hydrolyse whereas polyalkene C-C, C-H bonds are too strong thus cannot. Therefore the former can dissolve naturally whereas the former would require manual removal.

7. Conc. Of propanone increases by 100, What is the new rate equation and explain pls:
    rate = k[H+]Due to the large excess of propanone, it is no longer affecting the rate as only the H+ concentration limits the speed at which the reaction proceeds.

Why is the initial rate of the reaction used to determine the order of the reactants rather than at any other point during the reaction? Or something
    Initial rate takes into account the initial concentration of the reactants which is more accurate since, as the reaction proceeds the concentrations of the different species change. (?)

How do you calculate the initial rate of the reaction from a graph of concentration against time?
    Calculate the gradient of the tangent to the slope. (?)

8. Organic synthesis to produce the branched primary amine:
    Structure: Same as previous however Br is substituted with CN
    Step 3: KCN w/ ethanol (?)
    Step 4: H2/Ni, LiAlH4

Question 9 Notes (I don't even need to say the question, everyone knows this question by the number... eek)
    Potassium dichromate turns green, either a primary or secondary alcohol, or aldehyde
    O-H absorption in the Mass spec
    O-H in NMR spectrum, singlet obvs
    CH3-O present in NMR spectrum, singlet
    RCH2 in NMR spectrum, triplet ?
    R(CH3)2 in NMR spectrum, doublet ? uh pls halp don't remember values
    Mind if i combine mine with yours?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4164897&page=5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sockface)
    was that the first box?
    Second box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I guess:

120 UMS = 90/100
    108 UMS (A*) = 82/100
    A = 74/100

I got CHEM2, PHYA1 exactly right last year and PHYA2 1 mark off, so you can have confidence that I tend to guess quite well!
    What will the marks for b and c be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolgurl14)
    What did everyone write for the question asking why is the initial rate of the reaction used?
    Yeah, I screwed up on this. I think I put some waffle about the concentrations of reagents involved in the rate equation varying and changing probabilities of effective molecular collisions, but apparently heat would increase Kc from an exothermic reaction and this is what they're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    can people remember what they got for the calculations in the first few questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sani Ej)
    What will the marks for b and c be?
    I think 8 mark increments per grade going down from 120 UMS = 90/100. As I say, I'm usually quite good at guessing them, but it is a stab in the dark with little evidence, so they may well be a long way off for all we know! It especially depends on mark scheme leniency as well.

ReputationRep:
    I guess:

120 UMS = 90/100
    108 UMS (A*) = 82/100
    A = 74/100

I got CHEM2, PHYA1 exactly right last year and PHYA2 1 mark off, so you can have confidence that I tend to guess quite well!
    thanks- this makes me feel a little better

ReputationRep:
    you know the polypeptide q with the zig zag thing? how did u guys do that? did u leave trailing bonds as a repeating unit or draw a dipeptide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljm1998)
    MADE A FB PAGE, EVERYONE JOIN IT SHARE IT TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT ITS CALLED

AQA CHEM4 2016 COMPLAINTS

Join share and post all the reasons why AQA need to reevaluate this exam and what they should do about it, include hard questions question style, anything
    link?

ReputationRep:
    I guess:

120 UMS = 90/100
    108 UMS (A*) = 82/100
    A = 74/100

what do you think for the other grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljm1998)
    MADE A FB PAGE, EVERYONE JOIN IT SHARE IT TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT ITS CALLED

AQA CHEM4 2016 COMPLAINTS

Join share and post all the reasons why AQA need to reevaluate this exam and what they should do about it, include hard questions question style, anything

link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowie)
    was there any question we had to say excess NH3? - can't remember where I put it.. I really hope i didn't put it after KCN in ethanolic solution as the next step was OBVIOUSLY H2/Ni (which I hope I put) and which I have gotten correct every time it has come up in past paper questions.. Mind goes loop-de-loop in exams ffs.
    I put excess NH3 too out of clumsiness and being rash :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man i)
    what do you think for the other grades.
    I think 8 mark increments going down from 90/100 for 120 UMS. But again, it's only speculation.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/148389988911787/ join!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilies18)
    you know the polypeptide q with the zig zag thing? how did u guys do that? did u leave trailing bonds as a repeating unit or draw a dipeptide?
    Leave trailing bonds, as it asked for a SECTION of protein (which is a polymer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilies18)
    I left it as a repeating unit

ReputationRep:
    Pretty decent paper, so close to full marks I think! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariapops)
    Guys I said the acyl chloride will give a white precipitate with agno3 but the other one will form a white pp really slowly, is this wrong???
    nope thats right , aslong you put slowly its fine . i put the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EverydayHell)
    Is this actually going ahead? I understand this might not change anything but I agree they need to know, we did not deserve that.
    YES FOLLOW THIS LINK
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/148389988911787

Please spread to your FB friends and everyone in your class in school

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.