Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey im thinking i might do an EPQ but i need to decide on a topic and im having trouble with that...
    im thinking maybe something on evolution of civilisation, future evolution of man, space colonisation, or maybe something to do with moral issues or religion... i really dont know:/ any of those good ideas? got any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    About 2 hours a week from November to easter, culminating with a Monster powered all-nighter just before the holidays to hand in the final piece and finis the reflective writing. Then about a week to put together my presentation in the week after the holidays. 5000 words over a term really isn't a massive time commitment.
    Woah, 6 months??!

Can anyone give me a realistic idea on timings and stuff? Is it something which can be easily done alongside my other 3 A levels or is it something I need to put tonnes of effort in?

Also, is it possible to do without lessons? Don't think my school is giving lessons even...or rather, it's February and we've just received the first sheet we need to fill in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForFreedom)
    Woah, 6 months??!

Can anyone give me a realistic idea on timings and stuff? Is it something which can be easily done alongside my other 3 A levels or is it something I need to put tonnes of effort in?

Also, is it possible to do without lessons? Don't think my school is giving lessons even...or rather, it's February and we've just received the first sheet we need to fill in.
    OK, I'll try to be more helpful.

I basically put next to no effort into the EPQ for the first few months (the justification for our starting early was that it allowed the whole thing to be completely done by easter, allowing us to concentrate fully on revision.) A session consisted of me turning up, reading journals online for a bit, then leaving. So if you can get on it now and get into a good rhythm, then time shouldn't be an issue. We didn't have "lessons" per se, there were just slots on Wednesday afternoons when we could use a particular classroom to work, and have a tutor available to offer advice on research methods, etc. For the first few months, I literally did NOTHING beyond these sessions. It in no way affected my other subjects, as I didn't do school work on Weds afternoons anyway.

How much time you need to put in is a question that only you can answer, once you have an idea of what you need to find out and how you want to present it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    OK, I'll try to be more helpful.

I basically put next to no effort into the EPQ for the first few months (the justification for our starting early was that it allowed the whole thing to be completely done by easter, allowing us to concentrate fully on revision.) A session consisted of me turning up, reading journals online for a bit, then leaving. So if you can get on it now and get into a good rhythm, then time shouldn't be an issue. We didn't have "lessons" per se, there were just slots on Wednesday afternoons when we could use a particular classroom to work, and have a tutor available to offer advice on research methods, etc. For the first few months, I literally did NOTHING beyond these sessions. It in no way affected my other subjects, as I didn't do school work on Weds afternoons anyway.

How much time you need to put in is a question that only you can answer, once you have an idea of what you need to find out and how you want to present it.
    Thanks for that

Another question: my "supervisor" is a very busy woman (head of sixth form) and she is hardly ever around to have those chats. Do you think I should switch supervisors (btw EPQ is new at my school - she's he only one who knows the know-how behind it)? Or would I need someone who knew about the EPQ and stuff to do it with me? Or do I need a teacher even?

So far, I've had one talk with her and she gave me the first sheet and she told me to see her next week. But I've been to her office twice and she's not been there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForFreedom)
    Thanks for that

Another question: my "supervisor" is a very busy woman (head of sixth form) and she is hardly ever around to have those chats. Do you think I should switch supervisors (btw EPQ is new at my school - she's he only one who knows the know-how behind it)? Or would I need someone who knew about the EPQ and stuff to do it with me? Or do I need a teacher even?

So far, I've had one talk with her and she gave me the first sheet and she told me to see her next week. But I've been to her office twice and she's not been there.
    I doubt you'll need to speak to a tutor about it every week, as long as you can track someone down when/if you have any problems. Does she have a secretary? Making an appointment should hopefully let her give you her whole attention. That should deal with any procedural issues. I'm assuming that your project is going to be geography based? If it is, then your geog teacher may also be useful as an unofficial tutor to proof read and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm starting to write up my 5000 word essay for the EPQ, yet am struggling to in how to structure it and what to include.
    Do I need to go through chronological order? So I initially talk about my first thoughts on the topic and how this progressed etc. Or do I just go straight to what I've found out etc.
    If anyone has any advice on this that would be really useful.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I want to have plenty to put on my UCAS application and to be as appealing as possible to the universities, however I plan to have quite a packed summer what with work experience, hopefully summer school, writing my personal statement, stressing over exam results etc.

Do you think I'll have the time to do an extended project or will it be worth it?
    Does it look bad on university applications if you do not get an A?

Thanks people, I'd really appreciate some advise....

ReputationRep:
    I am having trouble with thinking of a title for my EPQ. Would you be able to suggest some? Preferably on Japanese language/culture as I want to do that at university.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the title isn't the most important part - you can change that as you go along. It's better to choose an issue you're interested in investigating (can even be 'Japanese language' or 'Japanese culture') that's a starting point, however vague, and then to do some background research into this and let a more targeted area of investigation come out of that. Once you've narrowed down your project enough, you can pick a title. Bear in mind that you can change your title at any point, and probably will as your project evolves - it's better just to get started.

ReputationRep:
    I picked my title the day before I handed the project in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyboi35)
    Hi peoples, I want to do an extended project related to the Law but can't think of any as of yet. I was wondering whether anyone could help me pick a question related to Law (what I want to study at uni) or anything along the lines of government or politics. Thanks in advance
    Hey!
    I'm currently doing the following: 'Should the age of criminal responsibility be decreased in modern day Britain?'
    Any questions, PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    I really don't understand which is the main essay?
    I know you have to do:
    - Abstract
    - Introduction
    - Research/Review
    - Discussion
    - Conclusion
    - Bibliography

Is it the Discussion? Am I meant to write it like a normal piece of c/w (mine is history based) - I know I sound stupid but I haven't had much guidance.
    Also, what the hell do I write in Research part?

Hii, I've got the same layout at you.
    So in the research section i've put other people's findings etc, like book references, useful quotes etc, then commented on the reliability and validity of their research, and how this links to what I'm hoping to find, like whether it supports what i'm hoping to find.
    Then in the discussion bit i've put my own research, so findings from questionnaires that i've done and i've included a timeline. Obviously yours will be different and you won't include those exactly. But basically you've got to outline the main points for and against, and state your point of view. Then critically evaluate both arguments and ta-daa.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone
    Was wondering if anyone could help me, I am doing my EPQ on the power of advertising, but this is so broad.
    Possible ideas are looking into fear, guilt, sex, humour and colour in advertising. I am also interested in subliminal messages in advertising.

Is it unrealistic to expect to be able to cover all these topics lightly? Subliminal messages has some interesting research behind it, but the research is limited as people don't know for sure how effective it is.

Basically, does anyone have any suggestions on how I should structure this?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does the extended project have to be implicitly related to what you want to do for work/ uni?

My project is probably going to be an investigation into what makes us male/female/neither or both (psychologically. Sex ed at our school was bad, but it wasn't *that* bad).

My research is going to be living as a man for about a month and keeping a log of it, as well as asking trans people their views on gender.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what I want to do for uni. I'm thinking I'll just lie and tell the careers person I'm going to do gender studies so it will seem linked.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished writing my report! I think this is the first time I've ever finished something over two and a half hours before the deadline, let alone two and a half weeks!

(Original post by Cupcakee)
    Hello everyone
    Was wondering if anyone could help me, I am doing my EPQ on the power of advertising, but this is so broad.
    Possible ideas are looking into fear, guilt, sex, humour and colour in advertising. I am also interested in subliminal messages in advertising.

Is it unrealistic to expect to be able to cover all these topics lightly? Subliminal messages has some interesting research behind it, but the research is limited as people don't know for sure how effective it is.

Basically, does anyone have any suggestions on how I should structure this?

Thanks

How about something like "The Emotions Evoked By Advertising"?
    You could write about your main ideas and still do a section on how subliminal messaging is/is not effective at getting us to feel/do things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youssii)
    Does the extended project have to be implicitly related to what you want to do for work/ uni?

My project is probably going to be an investigation into what makes us male/female/neither or both (psychologically. Sex ed at our school was bad, but it wasn't *that* bad).

My research is going to be living as a man for about a month and keeping a log of it, as well as asking trans people their views on gender.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what I want to do for uni. I'm thinking I'll just lie and tell the careers person I'm going to do gender studies so it will seem linked.
    No, not at all. Both have advantages and disadvantages - doing something related shows interest and enthusiasm in your subject, and doing something unrelated shows breadth of interest. What universities are really looking for is the research and time management skills you'll develop through doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    No, not at all. Both have advantages and disadvantages - doing something related shows interest and enthusiasm in your subject, and doing something unrelated shows breadth of interest. What universities are really looking for is the research and time management skills you'll develop through doing it.
    Thanks! Obviously the whole time management thing will be awkward; it simply involves doing things the way I normally would with a binder on and a packer in my pants(actually, stuffing a plastic penis into my underwear sounds fairly pointless, I might save some money and use socks or not bother.), just being a bit more socialized with trans people then I already am(which is not easy. I know loads.).

I was thinking of doing a video showing the transformation of myself as well. I decided to dress in drag today for the hell of it. It's harder then I thought it'd be. I'm gonna need some help :P

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So I'm doing "To what extent has the cultural identity of people in Spanish speaking countries changed since the start of the 20th century?".

I've outlined areas for analysis, and evaluated the resources I have.
    My structure is good I think, but I've still got 3,000 words to do roughly, but I'm a tad confused.

I have a question... I am finding it hard to write my literature review in an academic formatted essay. I was wondering if I could do a table with the resource, the format/type and then add a supporting comment on if it was useful or not and it's limitations?

Any ideas? Also any general help i'd appreciate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youssii)
    Thanks! Obviously the whole time management thing will be awkward; it simply involves doing things the way I normally would with a binder on and a packer in my pants(actually, stuffing a plastic penis into my underwear sounds fairly pointless, I might save some money and use socks or not bother.), just being a bit more socialized with trans people then I already am(which is not easy. I know loads.).

I was thinking of doing a video showing the transformation of myself as well. I decided to dress in drag today for the hell of it. It's harder then I thought it'd be. I'm gonna need some help :P
    This is a really cool idea - I'm really interested in the trans movement too (wrote half my general studies paper on trans equality, oops).

You can either do a 5,000 word essay, or an 'artefact' + a 1,000 word report. You could maybe make a documentary of your experiences?

ReputationRep:
    ----

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.